Author Topic: brakes and other stuff  (Read 1104 times)

phipsd

• View Profile
brakes and other stuff
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:27:31 AM »
So it turns out that at 32000 km my rotors are almost shot. I've never had rotors wear out on a motorcycle before. It's interesting, the Citycom is the most reliable bike I've ever owned. It's clear that SYM put their effort and money into the important stuff: The engine, driveline and electrics and cheaped out on things like rotors, pads and the battery, that would be easy to fix.

If you have to build to a price; this is the way to do it. Even the Kymco guy at the shop where I get my bike serviced told me, " this bike will last a long time."

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: brakes and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
I hear Brembo makes rotors that fit the CityCom, but have never checked into it myself. I just stay on top off pad wear since the CityCom is a tad large for its small(ish) front rotor and tends to go thru brake pads, plus I always have a passenger so that just makes pad wear worse. I have 23,000 miles on mine and my rotors still measure in spec and the run-out is still in spec. Could you have a stuck caliper piston draggin' on the rotor(s)? My back was draggin' from the first owner not bleeding it correctly, in his defense the caliper was a pain to bleed but its perfect now.

phipsd

• View Profile
Re: brakes and other stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
I've always had the pads changed before it was necessary. The brakes work perfectly. I've also always used EBC organics which are supposed to be easier on the discs. Even my 1400 Intruders,a 600 lb power cruiser with a single front disc ate brake pads but never wore out the discs even with aggressive semi metallic pads.

I'm an old fart so I'm as gentle as it's possible to be, but I'm not the first person to wear out brake discs on an SYM. Clearly there is an issue with the soft material they used. I was warned off of using grip pier HHS pads because of the rapid disc wear they cause. Yes I'm a big guy and I have put many Knicks in aggressive urban traffic and in mountain riding;But it's never caused a problem before.

Still it's better than the cheesy stators Suzuki used for decades. Everyone tries to cut costs somehow. I think I'll look into ordering EBC discs from the US to have a set in stock. at least brakes can be monitored, crappy electrics are a real pain and I've found the SYM to be extremely reliable in that regard. it's still a great bike in my book.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()