Author Topic: Starting  (Read 2471 times)

Klute

• View Profile
Starting
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
Hi,

Brand new here. Had a Mio since early July and over the past few weeks have noticed that it doesn't want to start for the first start of the day. If I go a few days w/o starting it, it is even harder. A few things I have tried that have worked sometimes:
* coming back later;
* popping the gas cap;
* trying to kick-start it and using the electronic start again

I was gone most of last week and it didn't get started. I come home, its colder now and it won't start at all. It will crank, but not turn-over. Battery is getting drained.

I have never been able to successfully kick-start it but have tried.

I have read a few threads on this issue and it appears it isn't that uncommon, that it could be a coil or the carb or some vaccuum seals. But, was wondering if anyone else had any other advice.

Thx

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
The pilot fuel passageway may be obstructed.  Try adding around 2 ounces of Techron the gas tank.
CV Carburetor

Might also check valve clearances.  Speculating this video shows the warm engine technique where the adjusters are screwed in for zero clearance . . as compared to a cold engine feeler gauge clearance.
Kleppen stellen sym mio

Klute

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Thanks.

This time I tried a new technique: I turned the key and kill switch to "on" and tried multiple kick-starts. Still not an ounce of life from the kick-start, but after that it did start. I drove it around a while to warm it up and it worked the rest of the day.

axa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
this carb video is a bit misleading in that it indicates that the slide is activated via a passage way in the carb body.  Actually it is activated via a hole at the bottom of and continues to the top side of the slide itself.
Also it doesn't show the slide diaphragm vent passage to the 'main intake'.

just sayin...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()