Author Topic: Finally, a high flow air filter  (Read 4415 times)

audioguy1

• View Profile
Finally, a high flow air filter
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
I know many people have made a reusable higher flow air filter. I found this today and have ordered one to try. Looks like a winner.
http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/DNA_AIR_FILTER_SYM_CITYCOM_300_201014--product--16243.html#.U4NpoiimU1I

Capt Kirk

• View Profile
Re: Finally, a high flow air filter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
That is 59.22 GBP? If so, that would be $99.05 U.S. Ouch! that is expensive. I'll stick with my homemade from an oiled K&N prefilter and 2 layers of high efficiency air conditioner filters. It's all reusable.

audioguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »
It is expensive. Except a stock replacement in Canada is $110. I had made one and wasn't happy with the results.

shoupdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
Do let us know how it goes.  The gills have more area (like the oiled air filter mod) so theoretically it should breathe better.  However, when I sold my 2009, I gave the buyer my oiled air filter as I didn't see any marked difference in performance/gas consumption with the mod vs. the stock.

Capt Kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Yes, please keep us updated on how your filter is working. I just checked my homemade air filter after about 300 miles and one part of it was fairly dirty. I swapped it out and put in another cut out K&N precleaner filter, sprayed with their air filter oil and replaced the 2 layers of the high efficiency furnace filters. Only the outside furnace filter was dirty. The one behind the K&N was good.

audioguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:41 PM »
The filter arrived today. Seems to be very well made. A lot more filter area compared to stock. Has a flexible frame that seats and seals very well. Filter media is similar to K&N filters.
Will run it and see how it works.
As a side note, I am very aware of the debates between the paper and gauze filter camps. I am not claiming one is better than the other. I have used K&N's on many different types of equipment. I have also used Amsoil foam filters as well. So I am familiar with the pros and cons of all 3 media types.
I mention this as I am not trying to start a debate or flame war, just providing info on a product that is available.
Rant over  :)

phipsd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
The late Gordon Jennings tested filtering efficiency (not flow) of stock paper, oiled foam and K&N. Stock paper was the best, oiled foam second and K&N a distant third. One interesting tidbit was that a somewhat used paper filter did a better job of filtering out grit than a pristine new one. Since a clean engine is a happy engine and a longer lasting one; I know what I'll use.

Capt Kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:26 AM »
The late Gordon Jennings tested filtering efficiency (not flow) of stock paper, oiled foam and K&N. Stock paper was the best, oiled foam second and K&N a distant third. One interesting tidbit was that a somewhat used paper filter did a better job of filtering out grit than a pristine new one. Since a clean engine is a happy engine and a longer lasting one; I know what I'll use.

Thanks for the information! I had read somewhere about those comparisons, that is why I sandwiched the oiled K&N pre-filter sprayed with K&N air filter oil, between 2 layers of Filtrete Ultra Allergen Reduction Electrostatic Pleated Air Filter. So far the scoot is working beautifully with no discernible loss of power or mpg. 

Capt Kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
Great to hear your filter arrived. Wouldn't think anyone would take your post other than providing information!!! Have a great week....:)

The filter arrived today. Seems to be very well made. A lot more filter area compared to stock. Has a flexible frame that seats and seals very well. Filter media is similar to K&N filters.
Will run it and see how it works.
As a side note, I am very aware of the debates between the paper and gauze filter camps. I am not claiming one is better than the other. I have used K&N's on many different types of equipment. I have also used Amsoil foam filters as well. So I am familiar with the pros and cons of all 3 media types.
I mention this as I am not trying to start a debate or flame war, just providing info on a product that is available.
Rant over  :)

Blubayou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
Hi Audioguy,

I'm a big fan of K&N filters having used them for many years (on cars). They are expensive initially, but also tend to outlast the vehicle on which they are fitted. You can then put an old paper filter in & resell them so they do make great economic sense!

Anyway, that aside they do also tend to flow air very well which can sometimes cause the mixture to be overly weak at high volumes, any issues with yours?

I'm interested as I am currently experimenting with air intake filter mods with no real progress so any changes you or anyone else have found to be beneficial would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance  :)

wr125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
Appears to be a lot more filter area in that filter compared to stock.

Will they ship to the U.S.?

Rodrigo_V_U

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:40 AM »
they ship worldwide, and if you don't live in UK, they do not charge the local taxes, the price reduces to GBP44 (plus GBP 24 for the shipping)

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:04 PM »
Audioguy - how did that filter work out for you ?
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()