Author Topic: Bit hard to start: advice?  (Read 4170 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
Bit hard to start: advice?
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAy5yD6d7D4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am not mechanically inclined at all.  Is it normal for it to take a few tries to start?  If not, what should I be doing differently or what can I check?
 For reference, it was 65 F in the garage.  Not cold at all.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:59:00 PM by domingo3 »

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Bit hard to start: advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
what can I check?
Valve clearance . . section 7.

Consider adding around 2 ounces of Techron or Gumout All-In-One to the gas tank before refilling.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
It sounds like the carb could use a cleaning.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:48 PM »
Thanks.  I'll pick up one of the fuel additives and see if that cleans the carbs enough to make a difference.  Doing the valve clearance adjustment is beyond my current capability.  If pouring some stuff in the tank doesn't help, I think I'll just leave it as is.  If it gets worse, I may need to bring it to a competent mechanic.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »
Hey,
  Just wanted to report back that the issue seems resolved..  I used Sea Foam in a couple of tanks.  I didn't notice an improvement right away, so I don't know if it was that, or just riding it regularly that got it back in the groove.  It usually starts pretty quick now.

Thanks!

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »
I'm back to having trouble starting with the electric starter.  The sound is still the same as in the video, so I assume that sound is the engine turning over.  The odd thing is that it starts up on the first kick if I use the kick starter.  Is the kick starter more effective for others than the electric start?  It will crank and crank on the electric start, so am I right in assuming the battery is not weak?

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
The kick starter gives you a bit more compression so better starting, lack of compression may be a sign of a needed valve adjustment.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

SUNSET KID

• SUNSET KID
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
    Sometimes when mine is warm it needs the throttle to be cracked just a little and it will start fine with the electric starter. When it's really cold {Wisconsin cold } it won't start with the electric starter and has to be kicked without touching the throttle at all. I've had thumpers before that acted the same way. Might not be your problem but just thought I'd pass that on. :)
Finally got some pictures on of my two Symbas.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks.  Tortoise suggested this at the get-go, but I avoided it since I'm not sure if I can do it myself.  I'll see if I can spend some time in the garage to figure out if I have the confidence to take it apart.  At the least I'd have to buy feeler gauges, maybe other tools.  I'd take it to Ooty's if we weren't so far away. 

Underboning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
You might also check the fluid level in your battery.  I know that when ours have gotten low that the battery lacks a little oomph.  There is a line marked on the side of the battery and if the fluid is below that, you can top it off with distilled water (which you can get in gallon jugs at the grocery store or Wal-Mart).  You only have to remove one screw to check it, so it's quick and easy. 

Lately, I'm kicking my Symba to life on chilly nights, so I should probably take my own advice and check mine, too!

richmintz

• View Profile
    • Rich Mintz
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
On my new Symba (600 miles), in very cold weather (much below freezing), the electric starter won't work; I have to kick it to start. Once it's run for a few minutes, the electric starter works again.

On my old Symba (10000 miles), electric starter works virtually every time, regardless of weather.

A tip: Hold the starter button in, give it a little throttle, and let it turn over a few times. Then let the button and the throttle go. Then push in the starter button again (no throttle) and usually it'll catch immediately. Doesn't work in supercold weather, but works in normal cold weather.

I don't worry about any of this, since one wAy or another, the bike always starts.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
Fortunately, I do not deal with cold weather here in CA. 

I took some advice above.  I added some fluid to the battery.  Some cells were well below the limit.  Also, the technique of starting mentioned above seems to work well.  I was previously always keeping the throttle a bit open, but shutting the throttle after a few turns seems to help out.

As I said, I am not mechanically inclined.  I managed to get the bike open to see the throttle valves and the cylinder head side cover.  To go beyond that, I think I need some tools.  I understand I will need some "feeler gauges".  From the service manual, it states that I should have a T-wrench, but I read elsewhere that I can adjust to top dead center by using the kick-starter.  Anyone have experience with this?  I'm asking because I think a valve adjustment may be in order, but my budget and garage space are limited.  I don't want to buy tools that aren't absolutely necessary, but am willing to buy something if it really makes sense to get the job done without complete frustration.

Thanks!

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Mine was getting hard to start with the electric start.  Checked the battery and sure enough, the fluid levels were really low.  Filled them back up and the electric start is working MUCH better now!  (I also threw in a new spark plug recently, which probably didn't hurt either.)
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
1983 Honda CT 110

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »
Mine was getting hard to start with the electric start.  Checked the battery and sure enough, the fluid levels were really low.  Filled them back up and the electric start is working MUCH better now!  (I also threw in a new spark plug recently, which probably didn't hurt either.)

This just happened with me as well. I added distilled water to the battery, as levels were quite low, and then charged it up with the Battery Tender Jr. I had sitting around but never used. Vroom! Electric start is back in action.
'10 SYM Symba (light blue)
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX
'77 Garelli SuperSport XL
'72 Honda N600 (the car; 2 cyl. 598cc air-cooled)
(former bikes: '73 Honda CT90, '91 Honda CT70)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()