Author Topic: Fuel for the Wolf  (Read 1984 times)

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
Fuel for the Wolf
« on: July 16, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
There have been previous postings about the octane required to make the Wolf run right.  High octane gas burns slower so it prevents pinging [aka pre-ignition and detonation] when the engine is under load on a grade in a high gear.  My experiments show that the Wolf has a stronger acceleration feel with low octane "regular" compared to the ethyl blends.  It also seems to start easier and run better when cold with low octane.  Lately, I've been using the cheapest low octane gas and then adding Sea Foam which contains naphtha.  Naphtha seems to enhance the gas and mimics high octane's anti-ping feature, but without the soft-power feel of high octane gas.  The engine also runs much smoother with less vibration at high rpm with Sea Foam.  Adding the stuff is not all that economical, but considering the Wolf's exceptional mpg that isn't much of a concern.  Give it a shot and see if you notice a difference.
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

Mr_Krabs

• View Profile
Re: Fuel for the Wolf
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
Try this experiment. I know my Wolf does this consistently. Fill up on regular gas.

In fifth gear ride it around 3500 rpm normally. Then fling the throttle open WOT without shifting. You'll notice on regular gas it'll pull nice and smooth. Try running it close to empty and then fill up on premium. Do the same experiment. You'll notice the Wolf will stumble and jerk until it gets over 4000-4500 rpm before pulling smooth.

What this tells me is that the premium gas which is designed to resist predetonation is burning too slowly to keep up with the piston speed and causing the jerking. This means a change in timing and compression is needed in order to make up for the fuel burning too slowly for the piston velocity.

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel for the Wolf
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
What about non-ethanol fuel - do y'all think that would make a difference?

Most outboard-powered boat owners know by now that gas with ethanol in it is a no-no for several reasons, and few if any marinas have ethanol-added gas for sale. So, living in a marina, I have easy access to non-e fuel right here at home, if I should want it. Other than the marina, many local stations along the coast cater to o/b owners by offering non-e for trailered boats.

Would it be better to run that (performance-wise) as opposed to regular gas station fuel? Maybe I'll just have to try it out, see if it makes a difference.
Lovin' my Wolf & Riding in G-town, SC.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()