Author Topic: Standard Handlebar mod, part-2 windshield  (Read 3589 times)

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
Standard Handlebar mod, part-2 windshield
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:29:44 AM »
If someone asks me what a good universal windshield for motorcycles is, I recommend the National Cycle StreetShield EX http://tinyurl.com/yrvxtt .  It has a compound-curve shape so it penetrates the air well, has a very adjustable 4-point mounting system, and is good quality.  National sells two versions of the StreetShield: the standard model with simple U-clamp handlebar mount, and the EX with quick-detach mounts.  I've used both screens and prefer the EX because its mount doesn't scar the handlebar, and the EX screen is a bit larger with a better fit around the headlight.

The EX arrived before Cam's handlebar conversion, so I got curious and tried to mount it to the Wolf's OEM clip-ons.  There isn't enough unused handlebar space with the clips to accept the EX's wide knob clamps, but if you use the standard screen's U-clamps [parts kit ATU], extend the upper mount arms about 1-inch, and fiddle with patience, the EX might work. 

With Cam's conversion and 'superbike' bars, National's EX compliments the Wolf and expands its practical application.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:34:04 PM by pacnwfoto »
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

rjc1944

• View Profile
Re: Standard Handlebar mod, part-2 windshield
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
That's made an already good-looking bike look even better! Nice one.
Perranporth, Cornwall.
2012 Sym Joyride, 1983 Suzuki SB200, 2008 Land Rover Freelander 2 or (with special dispensation from Tricia) 2006 VW Convertible.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Standard Handlebar mod, part-2 windshield
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
That's made an already good-looking bike look even better! Nice one.

The little Wolf does attract attention.  While stopped for a light, I occasionally get asked "What's a SYM?".  One guy of my vintage who was walking toward me on the shoulder of the road did a 180 as I rode by.  I observed him in the mirror still watching as I disappeared from view. 

The screen makes a BIG difference in ride comfort by deflecting the cold wind, and rain when I get caught in it.

*part-1 Handlebar Mod http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=2578.0
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()