Author Topic: Standard Handlebar mod, part-1  (Read 16184 times)

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
Standard Handlebar mod, part-1
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »
Clip-on bars have never been my friend.  They lack leverage and after an hour on the road begin to hurt my back/neck/wrists.  While crossing a bridge on the Wolf, I was hit with a strong and instant sidewind.  Even though I leaned into the wind, it still pushed the bike hard to the right.  Then, the wind abruptly stopped and without the resistance I swerved to the left.  The sequence repeated and the bike began to oscillate, and I almost lost it.  With the narrow bars there was little I could do except ride it out, and at 55mph that has extreme pucker factor.

Except when there is a monsoon or the roads are icy, I frequently choose a bike over a car for transport.  That means during the dark months I travel cold unless there is a windshield on the bike.  The clip-ons are not windshield friendly. 

Both of those reasons motivated me to order Cam's standard handlebar kit.  With the included clutch cable it will allow a 26" wide bar with a 2" rise to function with the OEM switch wires, brake hose, and throttle cable.  As I expected with a project of this nature, it was a bit more than a quick remove-and-replace operation.  To prevent interference, the right-side switch wire routing had to be adjusted.  Also, the seat and tank needed to come off in order to reroute the throttle cable to get some slack.  The Wolf's handlebar switches register with a hole in the handlebar, so there was some fun determining where to drill the holes. 

The result was well worth the time for me.  In another post, I'll show the windshield.

I chose a 29" 'superbike' bend.  1 3/4" was cut off each end to obtain adequate cable slack.

Remove the clip-ons and levers, unfasten the gauge assembly that attaches to the top clamp.

Remove the clamp.

Install Cam's clamp.

Locate holes. With bar upside-down, scribe a line.

Measure in from ends, punch, drill with 3/32", and there will be holes for the switch housings....

The result.

The Wolf is one of the rare bikes that looks good from any angle.

* part-2 Windshield http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=2589.0

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:22:55 AM by pacnwfoto »
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

gitsum

Re: Standard Handlebar mod
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Damn that looks really good!

The mirrors seem to be mounted wider too.

toadold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »
Thanks for the photos.
Did those bar end weights make much of a difference after you put them on?

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
...The mirrors seem to be mounted wider too.

This pic shows the relationship of the new bar to the OEM clip-ons in their pulled-back second position.  Grips, levers, and mirror mounts are all a bit further apart, and higher.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
....Did those bar end weights make much of a difference after you put them on?

Those are the OEM weights.  The handlebar clamps in Cam's kit are rubber mounted in typical fashion.  That, combined with the end weights, dampens the bar buzz a lot.  The improvement is quite noticeable from 7K to redline.

rjc1944

• View Profile
Re: Standard Handlebar mod, part-1
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:51 AM »
Brilliant - what a difference. Well done!
Perranporth, Cornwall.
2012 Sym Joyride, 1983 Suzuki SB200, 2008 Land Rover Freelander 2 or (with special dispensation from Tricia) 2006 VW Convertible.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
I used Cam's kit as well and following the nicely done instructions from pacnwfoto above, I installed the handlebar in place of the clip-ons. I can't remember where I got the handlebar - on ebay years ago. I think it was described as European style...
It is a tad too wide - I shoulda trimmed each end by 1", making the front brake line a bit tricky. But the extended clutch cable and wiring all worked well. The extra width gives me room to add a clamp on windscreen - and a clock...the bike handles very well, the mirrors are easier to use, and I am on time!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:52:37 AM by ootscoot »
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

CapnK

• Gear up and go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »
I really like how this looks! Thanks pacnwfoto for the install guide & pics, and ootscoot for the extra input!
Lovin' my Wolf & Riding in G-town, SC.

rjc1944

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »
I wonder why Sym don't offer this setup as an alternative to the clip-ons. The Kawasaki W650 I had a few years ago (and dearly wish I'd never parted with....) came with straight or raised bars when new. Arguments were rife on the user forum over what was the better! I liked the high bars but the downside was a (very) high-speed weave that didn't appear with the lower bars. That was the comfiest bike I ever had and I really should have kept it.
Perranporth, Cornwall.
2012 Sym Joyride, 1983 Suzuki SB200, 2008 Land Rover Freelander 2 or (with special dispensation from Tricia) 2006 VW Convertible.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
I wonder why Sym don't offer this setup as an alternative to the clip-ons....

Maybe they might offer the option if there is enough demand.  Contact Fearless Leader with your thoughts [Mike Hickman], his info appears is in early posts in this forum.

Fwiw, the Euro version of the Wolf [125] ships with the standard triple clamp and higher bars.  http://tinyurl.com/8b8rnok  Check with Cam or your local dealer about ordering the necessary hardware, wiring, cable, and hose.

Sophie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the step-by-step, it looks really great! I didn't think that was possible with an already fantastic looking bike. Now I know what my next project is  ;D

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
I have done this several times now for my customers and one thing different that I am doing is raising the front end (lowering the shocks) a bit so that the shocks do not hit the new handlebar.

Olhogrider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
Oots, good point. Just so I am clear, you slide the fork tubes down in the clamp, right?
I can see Catalina from here!

rjc1944

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
Hey, oots, it's good to hear from you again. I hope your health issues are well on the way to being sorted - you had loads of thoughts and prayers from this site.
Perranporth, Cornwall.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
yep, just slide the tubes down a little bit.
Thanks for the good thoughts re: my health - it helps! undergoing chemo now - not much fun, but still riding everyday!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()