Author Topic: Plastic repair (cracks)  (Read 16939 times)

sidthesloth

• Sym VS 125 with 150 engine
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic repair (cracks)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
I just had to order a fuel gauge float seal from a dealer 400 kilometres away. Putting the scooter on the back of the ute and taking it to them for repairs or service is not practical, or cheap. But aside from the service manuals, what about parts manuals so at least we in the never never can order parts on line from your dealers?

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
No one is forcing you to read it.
If you are the internet police please show your badge.

Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

Happy Old Scoot

• View Profile
    • Happy Old Scoot
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
One of the pleasures of a forum is the opportunity of carrying on conversations with those with whom I would have no other way of meeting and enjoying.  As in face-to face conversations, the subject starts at one place, and once dealt with may branch off.  Early on, helpful responses dealt with "plastic cracks." 
Related to it, however, general maintenance was not an unreasonable connection, and I enjoyed the fact that the "thread" became a "fabric." 

Sooner or later the conversations end, and we part with a friendly "see you later," and go on to other things.  8)

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
As far as the service manual issue goes, I currently have a lttle over 1,200 SYM customers (actually SYM bikes with mostly original, some newer owners). I have had only three requests for service manuals - in all three cases it was from owners wanting spec info (valve adjustments, a/f screw adjustment, and several smog removal issues). I freely gave them this info and also refered them to this forum. The basic maintenance on the SYM bikes is carried out by the majority of my SYM owners. We have seen no major issues due to improper maintenance. These bikes are really well built and if properly set up by the dealer, (and I gotta thank Richard and Michael from Alliance - who really know these bikes) they seem to be quite bullitproof.
 As far as plastic repair goes, I am glad to hear of this molecular bonding types of epoxy - just found some in a squeeze tube and fixed several broken turn signals - seems to work well. I will post the brand when I get a chance.
 As far as Alliance Powersports goes, I gotta say they are doing a far better job of distributing bikes than Carter Bros., or from my experience, Vespa or Honda. They have the parts and tech advice when needed - and quickly. They help me promote the product, and back up all warranty claims.
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

gitsum

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »
ootscoot, I'm glad that Alliance is doing a good job for you.  I realize that you sell a lot of SYM scooters and from what I can tell it is well deserved.  You seem to be one of the very few dealers that really take care of the customer and get the job done.  I hope Alliance/SYM appreciates your efforts, because only people like you are going to make SYM a success in the USA.

But you gave a very "politically correct" answer.

Now I'm going to put you on the spot ;D

If Alliance had not forbid it, would you have sold a service manual to the three people that requested it?   If not, tell us why...

On a side note, the Wolf 150 owners manual gives a different specification for valve clearances than the Alliance sticker on the upper right front fork.

I e-mailed Mike Hickman (Alliance) and asked him which were the correct specifications.  He didn't give me an answer, but was kind enough to send me a copy of some technical documents (he said were from the service manual).  The only problem was the valve clearance specification in these documents were wrong.  The correct specifications were on the Alliance sticker ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:22:26 AM by gitsum »

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
I have only read the service manual briefly and found the translation tedious and at times hard to understand, so no I would not sell or recommend it to my customers. I do have a lot of customers who like to "wrench" their own bikes and we give them all the tech assistance we can based on our experience. I also teach basic scooter maintenance classes here. I have a few far away customers who I have helped over the phone or by email, but mostly I have been suggesting this great forum for "how to" advice.
I also service and help my customers service Vespas - there are several Vespa service manuals available, but I still find that hands on experience is easier to pass on than selling a manual. There are no available Vespa manuals for the latest models (2012 "ie" models) just service updates, and getting parts for the new Vespas is not easy to do.

pacnwfoto

• gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
...There are no available Vespa manuals for the latest models (2012 "ie" models)....

These 150ie, 250ie, and 300ie manuals should help.  Afaik, most [if not all] of the changes to the fuel-injected Vespas has been cosmetic.  Service info for the 2010 300ie and 300 Super should apply to the current 2012 bikes, but if not please let me know.

http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/Vespa

The site has more manuals here http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals
Just say NO to ugly and impractical motorcycles.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
Thank you!

Burridge

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
From my experience with Sym's panels, they're pretty tough, after crashing my Jet into the side of a VW Polo at around 25mph and denting the whole rear door and sill, my scoot just had the screws that hold the panels on snap off which were glued back, my profile pic was taken after, you'd never know eh? But anyway, I would advise glueing the cracks with a strong glue, and even gluing a brace behind the plastic for more strength.

vic5491

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
Since I started the thread, I would say I have the badge and I would like to see the thread kept "pure" because someone else may turn up a better way to repair plastic and we would never find it in the midst of all the other rants about service manuals, or lack thereof, and whether Alliance is an enlightened leader in the industry or not.  Personally, I think not sharing, selling or otherwise making a service manual available to those of us who want one is a SERIOUS mistake but I would rather see a thread started that specifically addresses what we as consumers of their products want and what we like and dislike about the Alliance runs their business.  That would keep the plastic repair thread pure AND give us a better forum for sharing our voices with the leadership of Alliance.  Would someone (scosgt, gitsum, et al) please set up such a forum and port over the relevant comments from the plastic repair to it?  Seriously, I think doing so would help both topics.

Vic

Finaljudgement

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
I agree that it is unfortunate that this thread has become a discussion of whether manuals and other customer support should be made more available rather than how to repair plastic parts.  Both are really good topics, but it would be easier to find out what you need if we stayed on topic.

Finaljudgement

l0new0lf

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
Not sure how useful this will be given it's mostly in tagalog but there are lots of pics http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167586
2010 SYM Symply 125cc - 120 main, unifilter, 13" rear rim, gates Kevlar belt, NGK iridium spark plug/cap, NCY golden variator w 12g sliders
2012 SYM FIDDLE II 125cc - 115 main, unifilter, upgraded front & rear to 12" rims, gates Kevlar belt, NGK iridium spark plug/cap, NCY golden variator 11/12g sli

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »
Sorry if I hijack this thread but I would like to say something....

First, I am not sure if you all realize how lucky we are to have someone from Alliance (Mike) and at least one SYM dealer (ootscoot) posting on this forum!!
Not sure if you guys have been on other forums but that's extremely rare.
So I would like to thank them both to be here.
Ootscoot, seriously you seem to be the nicest and most helpful dealer ever!
Not sure if it would help you but if you are looking for Vespa manuals, check out there:
http://www.scootermanuals.us/manuals/Vespa/index.htm

Second, I know how it can frustrate some people not being able to buy the service manuals.
It's a decision from Alliance and they seem to have their reasons.
SYM USA was dead and Alliance made it alive again so I think we should be all thankful for that.
Sure, they have a lot of work to do to build a network back but I think they are on their way.
They are bringing new models and the number of dealers will grow over time.
Alliance has invested money in that and not having access to manuals isn't the worse thing.
If you are really serious about wanting a manual, just search online... they are there.

Parts availability is another problem.
I am sure that everyone would like to be able to buy them online and not having to go through exclusively through a dealer.
As the network grows, hopefully it will get easier.
Thankfully SYM makes some really well built and reliable scooters.
If you think that getting SYM parts is bad, you haven't owned some more "expensive" scooters. Scosgt knows what I am taking about  ;)

My first scooter was a HD200 and few years later, I still miss it!
I can't wait for Alliance to bring the RV300 to the US ... and ride a SYM scooter again.

So yeah, nothing is perfect but those guys are working hard and I am sure things will get better for us soon.
Peace.... ;D

Mike @ Lance Powersports

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »

Hey Ludo,

It seems at least from my end that getting onto the forum over the last few days has been impossible it looks like a virus, but i finally made it.  Thank you  for your kind words, it for sure has been a challenge to bring SYM up from the ashes but we are very proud of our progress to date with plenty of hard work still ahead of us. The network is growing and parts are readily available (for the most part!) Keep an eye peeled for the RV 300 we are looking very close at it :)

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »

Hey Ludo,

It seems at least from my end that getting onto the forum over the last few days has been impossible it looks like a virus, but i finally made it.  Thank you  for your kind words, it for sure has been a challenge to bring SYM up from the ashes but we are very proud of our progress to date with plenty of hard work still ahead of us. The network is growing and parts are readily available (for the most part!) Keep an eye peeled for the RV 300 we are looking very close at it :)

Yeah, I have the same problem with the virus warning.
I just by pass the warning and access the site.
Regarding the RV300i, that's really good news! :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()