Author Topic: New guy here: Thinking about getting a Symba  (Read 3703 times)

SymbaWal

• View Profile
New guy here: Thinking about getting a Symba
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
Hi there,

First time poster, long time rider...of Honda CTs. I'm aiming to replace my beloved 1992 Honda CT70 with a Symba in the near future. The Trail 70 is a great bike, but I'm noticing that the smaller frame isn't conducive to my riding style. I need something a bit more comfy. I also used to own a 1973 CT90 but had sold it years ago when I needed some money.

From what I understand, the Symba is very similar to the CTs (and the Passport). For those who have experience with the CT70/CT90, what differences (better or worse) could I be expecting with a Symba? (For instance, I was told that the shifter on the Symba is much stiffer or notchier to engage than it is on a Honda CT.)

I'm excited at the prospect of having a new Symba in my garage in the next few weeks as summer begins to roll around; I need a fun bike for the season and I'm hoping the Symba is it.

Any comments/advice from past/present Honda CT riders who are now Symba would be totally appreciated.

And hopefully I'll get my Symba and be more active here in the near future!

Thanks, Wal
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:28:00 PM by SymbaWal »
'10 SYM Symba (light blue)
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX
'77 Garelli SuperSport XL
'72 Honda N600 (the car; 2 cyl. 598cc air-cooled)
(former bikes: '73 Honda CT90, '91 Honda CT70)

sundance

• View Profile
Re: New guy here: Thinking about getting a Symba
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
I rode my 81 c70 for five years before buying the Symba, my impressions

You probably know the basic differences, 100 cc vs 70, telescopic fork instead of leading link, 4 speed vs 3 speed, better brakes, 12 volt vs six, ( early passports) CDI vs points and condenser. 

Basically, the Symba is faster by probably 10 mph, smoother, lower maintenance, handles and stops better and, so far, the electric starter is reliable.

Physically I don't know that the Symba is much bigger.  The shifting was originally stiff and sticky, especially first to second. That has pretty much smoothed itself out as I get close to 1000 miles.

I sold both the Passport and a 78 trail 90 after buying the Symba and couldn't be happier.

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:12:06 AM »
Thanks very much for the information. My heart's set on a Symba. Now the question is: red, black or light blue?

Are there any organized Symba-specific rides or meet ups that you folks know of?
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX

Underboning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:40 AM »
Thanks very much for the information. My heart's set on a Symba. Now the question is: red, black or light blue?

Are there any organized Symba-specific rides or meet ups that you folks know of?

No debate:  Baby Blue!  Not only are they tougher than any of the other colors,

they'll take you places that the red and black ones never could!

Plus, everyone knows the baby blue ones are the fastest...  ;D

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:56 AM »
I dunno about that - my Sky Blue Symba has got Gazelles on her and she rips...
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
Hi Underboning! I have been following your adventures and living vicariously through your blog. Thanks for sharing your trip around the world with the rest of the world. I just sent the link of your blog to my wife to show her that my proposed purchase is one that has been well-researched and thorough tested to withstand the harsh climates of...well, our suburban neighborhood.

My wife's very partial to the light blue. Although she doesn't ride, she might become the occasional passenger, and thus, I'll happily go with her (and your) choice of hue. (And yours too, Ootscoot, thanks for chiming in.)

I'm going to be stopping by my local dealer this coming weekend to check one out in the flesh. I'm also going to be putting my CT70 up on Craigslist along with some other stuff in my garage to help supplant the cost.
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX

SymbaSycho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
I considered a red one first since it was the first Symba I saw. It reminded me most of the Cub.  But, the more I thought about it...hmmmm. I ended up buying a black one.  Here's a pic of my Symba on The Scooter Space at: http://www.thescooterspace.com/photo/mysymba?context=latest
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:13:23 PM by SymbaSycho »
(10 Symba)

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »
I really like that bench seat on your bike. I went to my local dealer this weekend and sat on one. Felt great, totally nice fit, but that metal bar behind me separating the two stock seats will have to go. Is the bench seat better cushioned? Also, do they make one that says HONDA? Would be neat to pay homage to the real deal somewhere on the bike.
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX

SymbaSycho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
Thanks Wal!  I bought a new Honda C70 Passport bench seat on eBay.  I'm pretty sure it will fit. Now, I just need the time to install it on the bike.  The seat w/shipping cost approx. $100.  And, yes, it was new.
(10 Symba)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()