Author Topic: Just fixed 2008 sym hd200 many questions what do I need to know I am a newbie  (Read 279 times)

Kuku1234

• Just got this sym hd 200 2008 fixed it for 175
    • View Profile
Fixed it up and want to sell it but canít figure out how much itís worth ? Itís odometer ready almost 12k I believe and yes cost me 175 to fix vit o do t one thing about. None of tricks or the cool stuff itís capable of? I see itís got a 171cc which many scooters donít have. Hmm and yea just needs cosmetic fixes like some lights, the front right Teo little lights next to the main headlight? Hmm the left orange light the cover for it ? What is this bike capable of ? What should I be carded up with ? What should I absolutely do to avoid any big problems? Thank you all for your time
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

Tromper

• View Profile
Hi Kuku,

Value's tough to peg since that's very local market dependent.  If you're in the Puget Sound I could help ya out maybe, but not really anywhere else.

Far as stuff to fix.
- Little Front lights.  They're dummies, I suggest ya get a couple Yellow/Amber LEDs to replace 'em.  The sockets are good, & the Amber looks nice.  You can use white too of course.
- Headlight.  Replace with an LED.  Difference is night and day.  Ya end up loosing the rubber hood, but that has not been an issue for me.  I used this, anything similar will work I'm sure. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/
- Taillight. I swapped that for LED as well.
- Blinkers.  I swapped 'em, they're fabulous, but it was a lot of work and expense, so I'd do it but I don't 100% recommend others do it since the incandescent work OK as blinkers..maybe put in fresh bulbs there.
- Drivetrain.  I recommend trying 1g lighter (15g vs. 16g) Rollers/Sliders.  I prefer DP sliders but your results may vary and some folks don't like sliders.  Of note I live in a hilly area so a flatter are may not care so much about this.

Beyond that change your fluid - Radiator (Flush and fill is preferred, OEM coolant was horrid) - Brake - Gear oil (85/140, not 75/90) -Engine Oil.  Run good tires, Michelin CG's are great.  Maybe upgrade your brake pads, & keep the rubber to the road.
08 SYM HD200
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Kuku1234

• View Profile
Wow thank you for all that info Iam stoked yea Iíll only be using it for crossing the Tijuana usa border come back and forth only drive the freeway to my car one exit. Yea as far as hills when leaving my house I have ones steep very steep mountain hill I call it for about 4 min all down and thatís the one I have to do every time I come back up it very steep. I tested it today and it goes up it just slowly at mod throttle o guess it stays in the correct gear. Thatís what I was most worried about the flat is the easy part. Yea the left front blinker light 💡 doesnít make the click sound and the bulb doesnít light up the back one does work doesnít make clicky sound. Yea I just want to keep the engine sharp and brakes good. But yea if I can get new lights for not much Iíd be stoked. And a new head light. Also what is that plastic shied you wear referring to? Lastly when I rev it before it starts to go fully smooth running and it does a little of jumping of the motor I donít know how to explain super little then starts going smooth this is when forest accelerating the throttle. Last the temp gauge doesnít work
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

Kuku1234

• View Profile
Lastly where can I get the headlight in led and the what do you use those Amazon lights that you sent me for ? The runner shield was what I was Referring to what part of that ?
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

Tromper

• View Profile
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/
Was the LED headlight I installed.  The rubber cap I referenced covers the back of the stock headlight, but the heat-sink that the LED I used prevents that from being used.
This person used a different light than I did but basically the same thing
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=11991.15

The two front lights next to it?  Were a bit of a PITA to pull out of one SYM, but just pull out.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J5JKGV5/
If I recall this is also the same bulb for the license plate light.

The tail light is an 1157.  I used a Zevo, & this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H4MXQMZ/.
They were pretty much a wash, with the Zevo being a tetch brighter and the other one filling the reflector better far as I could see.
For the taillight I didn't think the LEDs I used were much brighter than a fresh incandescent, but they pulled enough less power that I wasn't worried about running a couple extra items.

Some stuff to know about LEDs vs. incandescent.  You CAN install them backwards.  If the light doesn't work pull it out and flip it 180  and try.  It'll work.

As far as your flasher not clicking goes, not all of them do, but since you have a bulb out it may not be drawing enough power to make the click.
I'd replace the bulb first and see if that gets it.
Takes a screwdriver and an 1156/BA15S bulb.

If you decide you want to go LED on those you'll need to change the flasher too.  The flasher's behind the gear cluster, cylinder type 3 pins.  Good luck, don't seal it back up until you know it's working properly.

If you decide you want to use the Euro light sockets, they are wired up, but a couple of 'em use BAU15S bulbs.  Real similar to the 1156, but the pins are a bit off.  https://www.bulbamerica.com/pages/what-s-the-difference-between-ba15s-and-bau15s-base.
Some folks just kinda force an 1156 in.  I would not/did not, I just bought the right bulbs.

Fair warning, the Euro blinker sockets do not meet U.S. spec for width so technically you should use the ones in the stalks to meet that spec.

I'm running both sets of blinkers just for fun and visibility.
08 SYM HD200
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Kuku1234

• View Profile
Amigo how ar you doing today thanks for all that information :) so now I have a problem it rained here in San Diego I had bike kind covered I was late to cover it. And it started it took a few tries then started fully then I turned it off tried to start it again it wonít start it must be something simple I feel before it was starting no problem? Maybe the new battery lost charge during the storm I dunno
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

Kuku1234

• View Profile
Ok I am seeing that it wants to turn over but it doesnít also it will only give me one shot at Turing on wonít turn over on that shot then it doesnít even want to try to fire up the motor everything else turns on I have to wait about 5 min in between trying again
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

Tromper

• View Profile
Try charging the battery.  Hopefully that'll get it.
Also try using both brake levers if it spins but won't catch. (do this on the center stand only).  Sometimes the start switches in the brake/handlebar setup get a little bumped.
Use a trickle charger, & maybe install an SAE pigtail to make it easier next time.
08 SYM HD200
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Kuku1234

• View Profile
Tromper how are you doing :) hope all is well got battery seems to be only issue since itís new I must ride to charge the battery big question for to be clear referring to dummies lights those are the ones that came stock but donít have bulbs? Also I noticed the headlight alone had 5 holes total for lights? Could you hook me up with the right websites or whatever where to buy all the lights for all around the bike :) LED like you have I would be blessed. I donít want to force lights on or anything I just want to put Leds all around. Happy thanksgiving let me know thank you
Sym hd 200 2008
San Diego
171cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()