Author Topic: Need help...was sold a Symba that was in a fire...of course seller hid this....  (Read 114 times)

donatx

• View Profile
So I bought a 2010 Symba that looked pretty good apart from a worn seat and some outdoor exposure damage from the elements on some of the plastic covers and leg shields.

Bike looked decent when I looked at it.  Ran well, started easy, ect.  I didn't see any leaks.  Talked seller down a bit on the parts he spray painted "because of sun damage" so I wasn't too concerned.  Seller also claimed he had to replace fuel sender because it stopped working.

Well brought the bike home.  Pulled it out today and took it around the block for a shake down run.

While examining the bike I noticed gas leaking out of the carb.  Well as I started examining closer I noticed the gasket on it the carb looks eaten away.

So I pull off the body panels and discover a bunch of the electrical wires have been melted.  I noticed they were shoved up inside the frame where I couldn't really see them when looking the bike over.

Some detective works leads me to believe the bike sat...seller put gas in it.  Fuel sender leaked and the bike caught fire.  Seller then painted and hid signs of the fire.

Luckily I am can repair stuff so I am just going to replace the bad parts of the wire harness with new wire.

My big issue is the carburetor....I don't feel safe riding it while its leaking.

Is there a kit with the gaskets and o rings for the carb?

Any one ever made there own?  What size of o-rings do I need?

Other issue is the airbox...it looks like the part that goes into the intake of the carb is broken.  Any one ever remove the air box and just replace with one of those K&N filters?

donatx

• View Profile

donatx

• View Profile
Ordered some gasket material and a punch set.  Going to try and make my own gasket.  Will try to document here.  Debating having a gasket maker do a run of them but I am not sure there are enough Symba owners out there to make it worth while.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:35:42 PM by donatx »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Something happened. Fire, short, something. Shitty seller didn't mention it, but a good project. Good luck.

beltho

• View Profile
Definitely let us know if you find a good replacement for the o-rings and gaskets in the carb. I've looked, but I've been unable to find a rebuild kit for the Symba carb. (I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they existing anywhere.) If you find replacements for any of these parts, please do post the sizes as that would be very helpful for the rest of us! Look forward to hearing how this goes for you.
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
1983 Honda CT 110

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()