Author Topic: Air filter hose leak  (Read 164 times)

SupersonicSymba

• View Profile
Air filter hose leak
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »
Hi
I had a number of air leaks on the hose between the air filter box & carb on my Symba. I know I'm not alone with this as I remember reading posts here before from others having the same issue.
Over time I've been adding sealant but thought I'd try & do something more permanent. I couldn't buy the hose alone. I could only buy the complete air box for $125 so decided to buy a 35mm filter from eBay for $13 & adapt it to fit. I removed the filter by cutting through the steel part to avoid reducing the length of the hose itself as that would make it too short.
I had to file the housing to increase the hole size a little after removing the old hose.
The biggest issue with fitting the new hose is the difficulty of fitting it to the carb as the rubber is a lot harder than the original one. It has to be fitted separately (the original is glued to the lower half or the air box). As there isn't much space & a lot of pressure & twisting is needed it can't be fitted if it is joined to the lower housing. After mounting the hose I then mounted the lower half of the air box to the upper half & added RTV silicone sealer to the hose to housing join. I drilled a hole into the hose so a connector could be inserted for the breather pipe. RTV sealant holds it in place. When it is time to service the air filter I'll have to separate it at the join to remove the lower air box part & reapply silicone again. I can't see any other way.
Have added a 90 degree joiner to the breather tube so that there is less pressure applied to the connector.
Anyway, so far so good. Hope it lasts a while.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:40:44 PM by SupersonicSymba »

SupersonicSymba

• View Profile
Re: Air filter hose leak
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:51:57 AM »
Here is an eBay link to show the item.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/153413590439
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:41:17 PM by SupersonicSymba »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 10:00:21 PM »
Well done. Hope it's not too loud.

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:07:01 PM »
How about getting rid of the air box, and instead use a high-performance, after-market filter (one with a washable element) that attaches directly to the mouth of the carburetor?

That's what I'll be aiming for, when the time comes...

LisaRae

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()