Author Topic: Replaced my engine, now I'm having battery issues?  (Read 235 times)

Veronykah

• View Profile
Replaced my engine, now I'm having battery issues?
« on: May 28, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »
So long story short, I had my engine replaced from a parts HD200. Engine runs great! However now it seems to be having electrical issues?
I've never had starting issues at all with this bike, I actually parked it several times for 3+ weeks and had no issues with it starting.
After the new engine, the first time I started it fine, drove maybe a mile, parked for 20 minutes, got on started it fine, rode maybe 3 miles. Parked it for 10 minutes, came back...nothing. Lights, gauges etc come on but nothing, not a click or anything when I hit the starter.
Got the battery charged the battery, and was able to ride it home the next day. Left it parked for a few days, startged fine and I took it for an hour long ride.
Left it parked maybe a week, tried starting, no problem!
Figured if it was the battery (which is what my mechanic is saying) then starting it a bunch would drain the battery. Started it 6x no issues.
Rode to the gas station maybe 4 miles, turned it off, filled up and started it again fine.
Drove 5 miles, left it running for 30 minutes, turned it off and back on 2x, started fine.
Then again, left it parked less than a week, dead again. Gauges work, nothing when I hit the start button.
Installed brand new battery, rode it 3 miles, turned off for 10 minutes, came back started and rode home.
Parked for less than a week, tried starting...again nothing.
Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be??
I knew when the mechanic said it was the battery it wasn't but I bought one just in case.
Seems to be something else...

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: Replaced my engine, now I'm having battery issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »
Maybe the switch in the handlebar?
Do you grip the same brake all the time when starting?  If so did you try the other brake as well?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Mingridesbikes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »
Check the regulator/rectifier or the stator. One of the 2 are probably bad.

beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »
Check the voltage at the battery with engine running. It should be 13.5 vdc or greater. This tells you that the charging system is ok.
If it still drains, you have something still powered or a system short.

deedee

• Denver, C0 www.meetup.com Denver Scooter Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:59:05 AM »
Go through the harness and check your ground connection.  Be sure it is tight and clean where it meets metal.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()