Author Topic: Citycom 300i starting problem  (Read 546 times)

azaswas10

• View Profile
Citycom 300i starting problem
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:54:16 AM »

Hello all, I've been lurking all day but have decided to create an account and join the community. I was hoping I could get some insight into a problem with my scoot..

A few days ago I purchased 3 scooters for $390 from someone who was wanting to get rid of everything in a house before selling. He said that they had not been started in about 5+ years and they were sitting outside...

Surprisingly all of them were in really good shape (one even had 0 miles), one had never had gas in it, and started with a battery...the other just needed a carb rebuild and tank flush to get going...tonight I finally started working on the 2009 citycom 300i and it may have bested me!

The past couple of hours, I've been really impressed with this scooter, especially the build quality, and the shape its in. First, I took a brand new riding lawnmower battery (12v 300cca) and connected it, and to my surprise the gauge cluster lit up and all the instruments did their pre-start flashy "needle check"! I had a "what if" moment and decided to put some gas in it and give it a shot. Sadly, absolutely NOTHING happens when I hit the starter button. No click, no crank, no hum of the fuel pump.  My girlfriend and I started the typical diagnostic procedure starting with the simple things.  Kickstand up, kill switch in the run position ect. With ignition on, I can tap each brake and see the brake light get brighter (indicating good brake switches). Next, i broke out the power probe and multi meter and started checking all fuses, including the biggun on the starter relay. The kickstand switch also seems good.

I took a break to get some perspective and decided to do some googleing and that's where I found ya'll. I saw another thread about a non-starting issue and the fix turned out to be the fuel pump, and a second one the fuel pump relay. I downloaded the manual (amazing!) and attempted to do the checks for these. (the ones on 4-26)

It failed both checks. At least, I believe it did.

TL;DR  There is no 12v at the fuel pump relay with ignition on...and the ohms was about 10x the test stated in the manual. But here is where I am stuck. What would cause this? I believe it has to go through all of the sensors/switches (which seem to test good) before getting to the ECU...and then the ECU decides to send 12v to the fuel pump relay... So how do I start narrowing down my suspects?

Another question, NONE of these relays have any kind of pinout markings on them like every other relay ive ever seen does..so im not exactly sure how to bench test them.

Any help, guidance, or information would be incredibly appreciated.

tomoboyle

• View Profile
Re: Citycom 300i starting problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:22 AM »
shot in the dark, i had a similar problem with a yamaha cycle. The kickstand relay was bad.

azaswas10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 10:38:32 PM »
shot in the dark, i had a similar problem with a yamaha cycle. The kickstand relay was bad.

Thanks for the reply. Ill give it a check next time i'm in the garage, I thought these only had the kickstand switch...I'll check for a relay.

azaswas10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »
Just an update. I probably should have started with this, but in re-checking the starter relay I noticed one of the four posts wasnt getting the 12v. I ordered one online with 2 day shipping and it cranks with spark!

Sadly I was getting no fuel, so i pulled the pump...but here's where I'm stuck again.

I can order one from ebay/aliexpress however it will take between 1-2 months to arrive, and ide rather not have this sitting apart in my bay for that long.

So i pulled the fuel pump, and removed the actual pump from the housing, and its bad. I'm wondering if one of the universal in-tank pumps you see everywhere online will fit? Has anyone had any experience with this?

edit 2/7/21

After about two hours spent sucking on the pump, hitting it with 12v and soaking in carb clean/injector cleaner i gave up and ordered the $80 fuel pump assembly off e bay and hopefully it will arrive within a month or so...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:07:20 AM by azaswas10 »

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »
Great job - it's not easy fixing multiple electrical problems... it can be very frustrating!

I have had a starter relay die on another machine - I reckon lots of cranking in cold weather was the cause.

How did you identify that you were getting no fuel? I guess you tested the pump? Another thing to check is fuel lines - maybe they got gummed up from the machine sitting for too long?

Let us know if it turns out that was all - starter relay and fuel pump.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

azaswas10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 12:11:51 AM »
Great job - it's not easy fixing multiple electrical problems... it can be very frustrating!

I have had a starter relay die on another machine - I reckon lots of cranking in cold weather was the cause.

How did you identify that you were getting no fuel? I guess you tested the pump? Another thing to check is fuel lines - maybe they got gummed up from the machine sitting for too long?

Let us know if it turns out that was all - starter relay and fuel pump.

Thanks! The gf and I were wearing some huge smiles when it cranked/got spark! I'm so used to the smaller gy6 style 2/3 wire starter relays, I guess i just kinda overlooked it this time.

Well, it had some bad gas in the tank (could smell it from the filler neck), but when cranking i pulled off the (sending) line from the pump that goes to engine, and nothing was coming out...even with the fuel pump relay working and it getting voltage. So i removed the pump from the plastic pump housing, and it was locked up. I tried my best, but it was toast.

You are totally right though, i need to check the fuel lines when installing the new pump too. Thanks for the advice.

I will keep y'all updated once the new pump comes in. Hopefully if the timestamp is correct it will be here between Mar 03 - Fri, Mar 19

azaswas10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:41 AM »
Hopefully a final update. The fuel pump arrived yesterday and after about 4+ hours of cleaning the gas tank, we installed the pump, put all the fairings back together and took it for a ride. Very happy with the results.

So far

Purchased bike for $120
Ebay from china Fuel pump $87
Amazon Starter relay $7
Home Depot battery $33
Total $247

Still need to do a bonded title/registration/insurance/inspection which in Texas comes out to about $300

While we had all the fairings off, lubed everything, bled both brakes, cleaned the oil/strainer while changing the oil and blew out the air filter. Everything on the bike seems to be working perfectly except for the front brake caliper is dragging some. I'm going to pull it tomorrow and see if i can work it, if not might leave it disconnected while I wait for one from China. (edit 3/8) I pulled the front caliper off, cleaned it, and greased it, works great again.

Appreciate all the responses, look forward to checking on the form every once in awhile and seeing if I can provide any help.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:31:57 PM by azaswas10 »

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 08:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the follow up. I thought I got a bargain with a nearly new CC for half the new price, but that is definitely the best deal ever!
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()