Author Topic: New-ish SYM scooters?  (Read 1049 times)

Thoppa

• View Profile
Re: New-ish SYM scooters?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »
Frustrating eh? But I don't think anywhere gets all the models on SYM's site? I know UK, Taiwan and China get a limited range too - I tried to get a Citycom in Taiwan on a trip a few years ago but it's export only. The Hong Kong importer here briefly had two 16"wheel models 12 years ago but they didn't sell well so they stopped importing them and refused to order a new one for me.

Hong Kong has the TL500, Cruisym 300, Joymax Z 300, Joyride 200, Jet 180 (cos it's made in China) and DRG 160. It seems 3 of these models have been refreshed/replaced - the TL500, Cruisym and Joymax Z - and the Z+ is now available in Europe but it's not available here. We don't have Euro5 and SYM said we won't get the Z+ for another 3 to 9 months - that sounded to me like they'll keep selling the Z until stocks are fully depleted. 

Since my Citycom is running well again tho, I don't mind the wait. I'd buy another CC if I could but I simply cannot get one. I've just come to accept it. One of the reasons I'll get the Z+ is that the Z is one of the models sold in China so I'll be able to get parts without getting ripped off by the importer here.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 02:03:13 PM »
Another consideration is that many states, mine ( AZ ) included, do not test motorcycles or scooters for emissions. So we could get Euro 10 and wouldn't know the difference.

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Yikes! Europe has annual emissions tests - my bike in the UK is an XT660R 2005 - it is one year too old to be allowed to go into London's ULEZ for free - 12.50 a day. The same bike in 2006 was certified Euro 3 so it doesn't have a fee. How dumb is that. https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ways-to-meet-the-standard

Hong Kong has only one measurement, when it is registered, and 2 wheelers are never tested again for anything, not even roadworthiness. However, the Police can simply notify riders that they think the machine does not look roadworthy and then we must get it tested.

In a way, you're lucky there's no testing, but it means, same as here, we'll be the last to get the new versions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:03:44 PM by Thoppa »
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()