Author Topic: Cannot Kick Start  (Read 91 times)

Lilwhitepony

• View Profile
Cannot Kick Start
« on: November 14, 2020, 04:56:04 AM »
Hello!

My bike has been having battery troubles (hard to electric start), but kick starting was working fine, no trouble with lights etc.

Took it to a mechanic and had the valves tuned, oil changed.

After taking the bike for a spin I noticed at higher revs I would lose power, and brought it back to the mechanic. They cleaned the carburetor, changed the oil again, (I believe charged the battery) and ultimately found it was the stator that was the problem.

I rode the bike home (about 4 miles) and rode on the highway no problem. When I got close to home, I stalled out after a stoplight. I was able to quickly electric start again, before losing power quickly on the road.

I was able to start it again with the electric starter a few hours later, with power being lost even while idling. Currently I cannot even kick start it. Lights still work, and are bright.

I feel dubious of the mechanic at this point, but is this a common issue with a totally dead battery? From what I'm seeing, it should be able start and run still with a dead or removed battery. Plus when I've had battery issues in the past, the headlights would be affected. I also know that the stator was pulled off another sym wolf, is it possible that it had gone bad as well?

I have a new battery on the way, but I'm not expecting that to fix the issue.

Any questions that I should ask the mechanic?

Thanks so much  8)

EDIT: I was out of gas! Lots of gas lost at the shop, and my fuel indicator didn't come on (has been an issue usually when it's cold). Silly mistake :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:17:54 PM by Lilwhitepony »

doombug

• View Profile
Re: Cannot Kick Start
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
That sucks, makes sense though. I kickstarted mine for over a year because of a dead battery with zero issues. Time to start carrying a fuel bottle. I didnít even bother connecting the fuel gauge when swapping to a new speedometer haha

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()