Author Topic: Finding parts and keeping my bike safe  (Read 158 times)

MelissaC

• View Profile
Finding parts and keeping my bike safe
« on: October 11, 2020, 12:37:53 AM »
Hi all! I have had my 2016 Sym Wolf Classic 150 for over 4 years now. I was told I'd get bored of it but nope, it's still as exciting to ride as day one.
This year has not been great for the bike though. In April it was stolen. I was lucky to have it recovered shortly afterwards and very little was damaged. I became diligent about putting my disc lock on, however I removed the alarm battery. I live on a busy street and know that the vibration from the bus going by would be enough to trigger the alarm.
Since April though, I had my spark plug snapped off. Annoying but I picked up a couple and put a new one on.
Friday morning I discovered that someone stole my mirrors. I'm beyond pissed.
I have two questions...
1) how do I replace the mirrors? They're stock. Everything is, except the clutch lever and the ignition which had to be replaced after the theft. I don't know if I can just order replacement mirrors online somewhere or do I have to get Sym parts or should I just ask the dealer where I got it to help me?

2) Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep my bike from getting messed with? I live in Portland, in an apartment and don't have a garage. I don't typically put my bike away for the winter since it's pretty mild and I still have a lot of riding to do. A cover could work maybe?

Sorry if these are too simple or silly questions. I don't have friends who ride and I don't know all the ins and outs about bike repair, which makes me self conscious about even posting here.
Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: Finding parts and keeping my bike safe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »
Hello Melissa:
    I'll answer question 2 first:
Yes, a cover would be a great idea in many ways. To keep the elements off the bike (sun,rain,leaves etc) and remove some temptation as a vulnerable target. I have a small padlock that I put through one of the existing holes in the front brake rotor that prevents the front wheel from making a complete turn (nobody can run off with the bike). That should help you secure your Wolf.
    Question 1
    Why do you want/need new mirrors? Are they missing/broken or you just want a new style? I like the original mirrors but you can easily change them - they are a standard metric thread, it looks like most Honda small bike mirrors would fit.
Quite a few of the folks here have swapped their original mirrors for bar-ends etc, maybe they have a pair for sale  ;)
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

MelissaC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing just a medium cover will fit well enough?
My mirrors were stolen so I have to get new ones. Nice to know that I can easily replace them. I wasn't sure if I needed to get Sym mirrors.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
Sorry, I reread your original post and see that your mirrors were recently stolen.
A cover would slow down a grab-&-run like that....
You could call https://www.mc-warehouse.com/ or one of the other shops and see if they have some good used Honda mirrors that would fit you.
Good luck.
Bob

GrumpyUnk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:33:19 PM »
 Most bikes from the FE have either 8mm or 10mm thread mounting holes for the mirrors.  You can source from daBay or daRiver and get something you like.  The mirrors on the end of the handlebar are nice if you have a problem seeing who/what is behind you using the standard mirrors.  Again a local shop or the above two are reasonable sources.
 I would get a cover as it will slow down the casual jerk who is jealous that someone has a nice machine and they have been deprived of same.  A cover will also make hopping on in the AM a nicer experience as your incidence of wet butt will decrease due to the dew being on the cover instead of the seat.  Even a tarp from HF helps keep things dry, and will help to protect the plastics from UV damage(I think) and keep the seat vinyl from aging as quickly.
 I bought an el-cheapo disk brake lock from aliexpress.  It will not stop anyone determined to swipe your bike, but will slow down the goofs that will steal/re-position/move your bike 'just to be jerks'.  It is harder to move when the front wheel is at an angle(locked) and the wheel cannot rotate(rotor lock).  It does take conscientious effort to put the cover on and to remember to put the lock in the rotor.
 I knew a MelissaAC at PU back in the day, a PiPhi.
tom
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:34:52 PM by GrumpyUnk »

doombug

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:12:47 PM »
Death to bike thieves! If youíre set on stock mirrors, Iíve still got mine Iíd sell for cheap and am located across the river in Vancouver. Also have a bunch of other parts leftover from my cafe conversion if you need anything.

MelissaC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:10:41 PM »
Got myself a disc lock in April and have been diligent about using it. I removed the battery though, since I live on a busy street and the bus going by would trigger it.
Bought a cover too. Someone suggested I toss it in the trunk of my car when I take it off. Genius. The idea of trekking back up to my apartment each time has stopped me from doing it sooner. But duh, I can just shove it in my car.
I got some mirrors but am definitely interested in the stock ones doombug. I sent you a message.
Thanks all!

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:24:35 AM »
Excellent  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()