Author Topic: trouble hitting neutral  (Read 79 times)

BB.Barrett

• View Profile
trouble hitting neutral
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »
I have a 2009 wolf 150 R
Whenever I want to click up into neutral the foot switch is super stiff. light pressure won't make it go up . instead I have to switch up to 2nd and lightly tap down till it hits N. Sometimes several times as if its a tad too much it will go back down into first

whats the best way to remedy this?

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: trouble hitting neutral
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
Pull the clutch in when you stop in 1st gear.
Push the shifter down with your toe and slide your foot off sideways letting the shifter snap up - it will be in neutral  ;)
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

GrumpyUnk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
Ride some more.  Get the bits worn into each other so the clearances open up a bit.  A rotary shifter has a pin that followes a groove in a 'drum'.  The pin is moved by the wiggles of the groove that push the shift forks back and forth to disengage one, and engage another 'dog clutch' with slots in the side of the already-turning gears.
 I have problems also, but niggle it back and forth 'til I find it, then release a bit of clutch, NOT the whole thing, to insure it really is in neutral.
 Having the chain tightened properly seems to help as it puts more consistent 'downshift' pressure on the engaged gear, I think.  I do know that a loose chain makes shifting harder, and finding neutral harder also.
tom

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 04:50:03 PM »
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()