Author Topic: Time to sell the parts?  (Read 367 times)

DBrashler

• View Profile
Time to sell the parts?
« on: September 03, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
Ok,

I have an '09 SYM HD 200.  I drove the heck out of it, and loved it since 2010.  Something like 21K mi on it.  After a point, I had a serious issue getting it started.  Attempts to start it always seemed to cause an overflow from the coolant overflow tube.
 We cleaned air filter and the carb as best we could (wife rebuilt it with significant care), but in looking things over, discovered that there was serious corrosion in the cooling system.  We replaced the thermostat, the water pump cover, the coolant, and several hoses, and still couldn't get it to start.  At another point, with enough fiddling with the carb settings, we were able to start it briefly while holding the throttle open.  Examining the moisture that came out the exhaust, it smelled like coolant. We fear the worst.

We're afraid the next steps are replacing the cylinder head, and we aren't at all sure that's something we want to take the time to do ourselves, and we can't find a mechanic who'll look at it.

We're thinking seriously about selling this thing for parts.  Thoughts?

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Time to sell the parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:30:34 PM »
It does sound like you blew the head gasket. No scooter shops in your area?

DBrashler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
The dealer I bought it from went out of business, and although there's one other shop nearby, they're quite pricey.  Others are 1.5 hours away . . .

I'll look around more here, but was curious if folks do used part sales.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:56:09 PM »
Usually on Ebay.
I do agree with Syd.  It does sound like a popped head gasket.
There's no good way to check the head itself for erosion without taking it apart.

I've looked over that process.  It's doable but it's a bit involved.

If you decide to sell parts lemme know whatcha got and any links to fleabay for 'em.
Probably end up a bit rich for my purposes due to shipping but you never know.

The dealer I bought it from went out of business, and although there's one other shop nearby, they're quite pricey.  Others are 1.5 hours away . . .

I'll look around more here, but was curious if folks do used part sales.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

DBrashler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »
Well, I have everything . . .  I just haven't gone into the cylinder to see what's bad there.

I had posted some ads on ebay, but they expired pretty quick, and didn't get any attention.  I suppose I should post it all here as well as there . . .

I guess I have to get to work on that . . .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()