Author Topic: Intro & Question on Oil Drain Plug  (Read 397 times)

driftless

• View Profile
Intro & Question on Oil Drain Plug
« on: August 21, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »
Hi, everyone! I have been a long-time lurker here and appreciate all of the information that is posted here. It has been SO helpful. Two years ago I bought a 2010 Symba from a guy and did not get the chance to really ride it until this year. And I've been riding the hell out of it--literally, until the wheels almost fell off--not to mention nearly every other bolt, too.

I've had my axel nut fly off recently and today my oil drain plug popped out while riding. Luckily, I noticed I was losing power, smelled the oil, and pulled right over and shut off the bike. I got a guy to pick me up and try to fit a new oil plug. It's not a perfect fit and the plug is wet with oil. Can you tell me what is the correct size for a new oil drain plug?

Also, for those of you who really like to ride these things, does it scare the hell out of you how many bolts and screws just go flying?!

Thanks!

vintagegarage

• View Profile
Re: Intro & Question on Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 05:58:34 AM »
Have a look at this link to the parts fiche to see the details of the oil drain plug. 

http://www.symcanada.com/_techSpecs/techSymba/MB10A7-C(E05)OilPumpAssy_RCrankCase.pdf

It shows the drain plug to be "flange bolt 10 X 12".  I think this would be an M10 flange bolt 12mm long.  Note that it should be a real drain plug, not just any old bolt, as it should have a smooth flange surface that mates with the correct sealing washer.  The link also shows the sealing washer.  Without the washer, you might expect the bolt to leak.  Properly installed with the correct torque, the drain bolt doesn't fall out. 

The link to the fiche for rear wheel assembly is:
http://www.symcanada.com/_techSpecs/techSymba/MB10A7-C(F07)RRWheel.pdf

Note the parts 16 and 17.  Properly installed, they won't fall off.

To answer your last question, I've never had any bolts fly off my Symba, so I don't worry about it.

From what I can see from your photo, you have a very nice looking Symba, and the seat looks to be the factory bench seat.  It would be great if you'd also post a photo of the rear bracket that the rear seat clips attach too to.. much appreciated.

I see you live in Minnesota.. I hope some local Symba guys will chime in and offer to ride with you..

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:07:49 AM by vintagegarage »

driftless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the thorough response! I should have said, it was a scooter repair guy I'd previously met that helped me with the oil drain bolt. He had the perfect fit, thread and width-wise, except a little long so after all of the measurements he fixed the length and provided a washer. It was good enough to get me back home. I wanted to purchase a new one that was made to fit the bike with some help from folks here. (I did make it sound like I just threw any old bolt in there.)

Underboning got back to me, as he always does, via email to confirm that I just need to learn what to check and how to care for the bike and nothing crazy is happening with mine that can't happen with others. There's a learning curve for sure! In the past two months I've learned how to change the jets, heal a flooded bike, check the air filter, adjust the chain, change the oil, clean the carb, and more. I started to feel that something was wrong because it seemed like so much. This is all stuff I need to learn, however. Phew! My tool collection has grown, as has my comfort with it. I've put on 1,000 miles in just a short time riding top speed for most of it so I'm sure I've shaken it all up.

The service manual is my best friend :).

I did meet one woman who has a Symba--and now a Honda Super Cub and we rode together once. I'd love to meet more!

It's a Honda seat--it came with the bike. Sorry I can't help more.

This was the loaner Symba I rode last month--photo taken by its owner, https://www.instagram.com/t3ra_n0va/.

vintagegarage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
Looking at your new photos, it looks like you seat might be a C70 Passport seat.  If it is, then it would be great if you could post photos of how it is mounted.  A think a number of people on this forum would be interested in that.

driftless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:13:25 PM »
Oh, for sure! It's basically one bolt at the front and the back just flips right up. There aren't any clips. I'll take pics and post.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()