Author Topic: Fixable?...See pictures  (Read 192 times)

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
Fixable?...See pictures
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
Soooo, this happened while driving down the interstate earlier this week...I thought it was just a bad belt blowing out on me unfortunately when I took it apart there was more than just a belt issue.

Looks to me like the splines are semi-destroyed, Tried picking the metal from them without any luck (was also thinking I might try my dremel but I'm not sure if this is a good idea).  The face of the variator which I didnt get a picture of is pretty munched, the mounting circle is no longer a circle. also as you can see there are chunks already missing from the beginning of the splines where the castle nut goes.  Any tips/thoughts on it are appreciated!

Looking for what your folks thoughts are on this:

Black 2012 SYM HD200 EVO | 11k miles and busted

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fixable?...See pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »
I gotta say, that looks bad, but wait till some mechanics reply.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 10:45:30 PM »
NOT good. Was that the original belt?

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:28:09 AM »
Dang that looks messy.

If that's metal in the splines like ya note then I'd be inclined to fix it by replacing it.
Unfortunately that's pretty involved.  Not something I've done personally, so I'd probably check to see what a shop would charge & if not too extravagant pay for it. I'd also ask 'em about other rebuild items while they have it open as well.

If that's too much $$ and I had the time I'd dig into it, or get different bike if I couldn't dig up a used motor (these aren't that common but you could get lucky).

How many miles on the belt when it blew?
Was that a Bando/OEM or ?
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Kokines

• Go BIG or Go HOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 06:17:43 AM »
At 8500 miles I had the belt replaced, receipt says it was OEM.
This happened at 11200miles.

I couldnít imagine what a shop would quote to replace the rod...Iíd almost bet buying another HD would cost less.

Engine runs great still but it ainít going anywhere! Iím thinking about disassembling the entire scoot, fixing it and turning it into something else such as a high speed go kart.

Luckily I was already planning on Buying a new bike before this happened...

Black 2012 SYM HD200 EVO | 11k miles and busted

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
Either that was the wrong belt, or some cheap Chinese clone or not installed properly.
While I replace the belt at 5K miles there are plenty of people who run them 12K plus miles. Normally they start to stretch or slip before they just break.
That shop owes you a new scoot. See if you can find any kind of markings on it.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Ditto that, & I even have 5k+ on a Dayco no issues so far.
I also have 3 bando OEM belts I replaced that are well within spec and I'd reuse without hesitation.
Definitely something odd going lie that and that badly.  It does look like you should be able to chip the debris out of the splines, but sounds like ya tried. 
I'd be tempted to try a little heat (don't want to ruin any tempering) or even cold to see if that'd cause the debris to loosen a bit, but that's a very much at your own risk kinda thing; albeit ya ain't got much to lose here.

If ya decide to part it out lemme know.

Either that was the wrong belt, or some cheap Chinese clone or not installed properly.
While I replace the belt at 5K miles there are plenty of people who run them 12K plus miles. Normally they start to stretch or slip before they just break.
That shop owes you a new scoot. See if you can find any kind of markings on it.

08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()