Author Topic: Citycom 300 front fork seals  (Read 3649 times)

kruker

• View Profile
Citycom 300 front fork seals
« on: June 06, 2016, 05:02:15 AM »
Hi,
I need to replace fork seals but original part from Sym are not available - I would have to wait about 3 weeks :|
Maybe someone knows the dimension of the seals so I could buy replacements from Ariete or Athena ?

trying59

• View Profile
Re: Citycom 300 front fork seals
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »
Hi,
I need to replace fork seals but original part from Sym are not available - I would have to wait about 3 weeks :|
Maybe someone knows the dimension of the seals so I could buy replacements from Ariete or Athena ?
No I don't but there is a tool out there you can buy off amazon which my save you changing seals.   Basicly just a  very thin peace of plastic that fits under the seal and cleans out any trapped dirt .  Sometime it's dirt that is caused the leak.   
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8wlzfoVroSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:53 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps the seals from other 300 models fit? 91255LEA000 is the Citycom part number. Change LEA to HWA for the 250/300 GTS model - but they look a little different. My near side fork seal has a permanent leak. I've cleaned the seals a couple of times using a thin plastic tool but this no longer stops the leak. My SYM dealer, Oscar Motors, say they don't have any seals and told me to buy new suspension units at US$500 and wait 2 months for them to arrive. Comedians, obviously. I can't find any Citycom seals on Ebay or Amazon but there is a site that has them (in Greece?) http://makinaparts.com/lang-en/sym/4223-91255lea000-front-fork-oil-seal-sym-citycom-300i-.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:29:11 PM by thoppa »
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
I finally got time to replace the seals so here's a brief how to. It's quite similar to cheap motorcycle forks.

The main difference with cheap motorcycle forks is that the fork tops donít unscrew like a motorbike Ė thereís a rubber cap that pulls off to reveal a white plastic insert that is fixed and doesnít seem to have any way of removing. So there's no access at the top of the fork leg. The only way to disassemble is to undo the 8mm hex bolt in centre of the bottom of the lower fork leg.

Another difference is a circlip on the top of the stanchion above the steering clamp. This stops the forks from sliding out when unclamped. Itís not too difficult to unclip using a thumbnail. There's also a diameter change in the stanchion top that stops the fork stanchion from being pushed through the clamp beyond the design limit.

Another difference is the springs canít easily be replaced because they are part of an assembled unit with the upper stanchion. When the hex bolt at the bottom of the lower for leg is undone (just like a motorcycle), the whole stanchion/spring/damper rod assembly slides out of the lower fork leg so the two are very easy to take apart, allowing easy access to the fork seal. The hex bolt is the 8mm and needs a few whacks with a hammer or impact driver to make it loose from the damper rod Ė thatís the same as a motorbike.

After replacing the seal and reassembling the lower fork leg with the stanchion assembly, fork oil has to be poured in slowly through the hole at the bottom of the fork leg where the 8mm hex bolt fits. You can't fill it from the top of the stanchion because of that white plastic plug at the top of that assembly. After filling, insert and tighten the 8mm bolt and it's done.

I used 120ml of ATF in each leg, and because there was really no damping before, it now feels heavily damped.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:06:39 PM by thoppa »
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()