Author Topic: SYMBA - STOLEN / FOUND  (Read 1132 times)

LisaRae

• View Profile
SYMBA - STOLEN / FOUND
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
Went down to ride SYMBA to work today, and her parking spot was EMPTY. Swore.

Back upstairs to call the building mgr, and was just calling work, when there was a knock at my door. A Police Officer, asking if I "owned a red Vespa?" No, I own a red SYMBA, and it's missing. "Well, it's been found - a building manager (across the street) found it and reported it."

So, according to that building manager - and his security camera, several people tried to work on it, in better light - and away from foot-traffic, behind the apartment complex across the street. He found SYMBA blocking a door, and wheeled it inside...

Damage?
  • leg-shields unbolted/loosened - bolts gone
  • no visible damage to the ignition slot - the key goes in, but won't turn to "ON", so they've kicked the handlebars, again
  • ignition wires cut
  • handlebar lock - gone (just like the last time - grrr)
  • steering has more "play" than when locked, but riding would be "challenging"

So, apparently MY building ONLY has a security camera on the garage door. At least THIS time, they should see someone pushing SYMBA out the door...

I pushed her back across the street - and rode/coasted down the 2 ramps to her parking spot.

So, 2nd incident in 2 months, BUT this time they got her OUT of my parking garage. GRRR.

I have THE LAST SYMBA IGNITION-ASSEMBLY (starter assembly) FROM SYM CANADA...so the next time might be the end for my SYMBA.

Sucks, eh?

LisaRae

Retro Moto

• View Profile
Re: SYMBA - STOLEN / FOUND
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
Tough break! Scooter Dynasty.com  in LA may whatever you need.
2015 Symba

Mouse action

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:51:30 AM »
Lisa, I have to ask ,where do you live?  I would get myself a monster chain and lock and make it hard for them bastards.

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:26:30 AM »
Tough break! Scooter Dynasty.com  in LA may whatever you need.

Looks like they're trying to clear-out their SYMBA stock - wow, the entire lock-assembly, for the ignition, gas-tank, AND helmet lock?? [I've been buying just the ignition-assembly for $35 CDN, so USD $130 seems $$!! (But, if it won't work w/o them...that's cheap!)]

Thanks for this, RetroMoto!

LisaRae

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
Lisa, I have to ask ,where do you live?  I would get myself a monster chain and lock and make it hard for them bastards.

I'm right downtown, in London, Canada. Sadly, people permit unknown folks INTO the building...and the unknowns wreak havoc...

My SYMBA's parking spot is 2 levels underground, so at least they had the 'delight' of pushing her up TWO ramps (with the steering partly-impaired, as it wasn't completely unlocked, after they'd kicked the handlebars to bend the ignition lock-pin).

I'm told that a spray-can of liquid nitrogen is used to spray metal (chains, whatever) and then all that's need is a hammer to shatter the metal. Sigh.

LisaRae

Mouse action

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
Itís not so easy,and not everyone is running around with liquid nitrogen and using it to steal scooters.
Take my advice ,I have keep a lot of things from getting stolen by chaining them down.Get a big chain and a big pad lock.
They wonít waste the time and will move on to an easier target.

LisaRae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
It’s not so easy,and not everyone is running around with liquid nitrogen and using it to steal scooters.
Take my advice ,I have keep a lot of things from getting stolen by chaining them down.Get a big chain and a big pad lock.
They won’t waste the time and will move on to an easier target.

Ah, well, there's nothing for me to lock-it-onto, in my parking spot...but, it would add "one more layer" of complicated.

The handlebar brake-lock didn't provide much of a deterrent, sadly... It was one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Grip-Lock-GLRed-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Security/dp/B0152TV2VY/ref=asc_df_B0152TV2VY/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292918041330&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3556648691158997496&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001074&hvtargid=pla-440015205756&psc=1

(the 2nd handlebar lock, since the previous one disappeared in July, after the last 'attack').

Thieves may not be running-around with liquid nitrogen, but they DO have some kind of battery-operated grinder (Dremel), and are able to remove a GRIP-LOCK pretty quickly.

At some point, I'll need a new battery harness (wiring set), since the available length to solder/reconnect the "wiring end" to the ignition is getting shorter with each snip of the wires.

LisaRae
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:44:39 AM by LisaRae »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()