Author Topic: Only use 35 watt H4 bulbs or bad things happen  (Read 1485 times)

hualalai

• View Profile
Only use 35 watt H4 bulbs or bad things happen
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:47 AM »
I fried the ECU, stator, and dashboard in my CC 300i by using 55 watt H4 bulbs.  A word to the wise.... stick with 35 watt.  The LED equivalents when I had to replace the bulbs originally were to big to fit, and I had some 55 watt H4s, so I installed them and loved them... so much brighter... but after two years of use, $400 in parts plus labor.  (I found a used dashboard from a seller in Italy, otherwise the parts total would have been $700).

allen239

• View Profile
Re: Only use 35 watt H4 bulbs or bad things happen
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »
Now there are some companies who can make any parts of our vehicle on custom order, yes they charge bit high but they provide our desired product, I have Ram truck which i am using for Blocked Driveway Towing Brooklyn, i changed its dashboard completely on a custom order.

citycom1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 07:53:57 PM »
I live in the desert.  Riding Citycom since 2009.  Lights not flame throwers even on high.  Would have loved a little more light.
Chose to stick with the 35W not just for the draw on the electrics, but the potential to  melt housings in 115 degree desert heat.   
I love the two 35's are on full time for light and security when one burns out. 
Has happened 3 times in 17000 miles.  Annoying to replace and not really any shortcuts I have found that work.  I have gotten pretty good at pulling the front plastic.  Just commit to doing it.  Last time I did it I could not believe how easy it was.
Good idea to always replace them both when one goes out.
So many things I love about the Citycom.  Another one is dual tailights.  Again, safety factor if one burns out.  I see big bikes with one dinky bulb.  My new Citycom has LED in the back so maybe I will never have to replace.
Hope I have not breached any etiquette by replying to an older post.  Not much action on the site.  This is the only one I ever post to.

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:24:58 AM »
Hi,

Why do the bulbs blow - is it just too hot and dry there? Dirt/Sand on the bulbs's glass concentrating heat?

I changed to 10W LEDs so I haven't had any problems. But the change wasn't straightforward because there is a "headlight control unit" that requires a significant current drain to turn on, and 10W was not enough, so I had to replace the HCU with regular automotive relays. So if you do decide to get LEDs, get some high wattage ones, making sure they'll fit as the OP noted! 
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()