Author Topic: Starting idling; Bringing back to life after 5 years of sitting!  (Read 729 times)

cmatson

• View Profile
Hello all, first post here but I've been browsing for a while and still cannot seem to fix my plagued Symba!

Backstory: a neighbor of mine bought it brand new in 2011, rode it for a few years (lived at the beach) but parked it in his garage when he moved into our neighborhood. It only has 324 miles. The bike has sat in this air-conditioned garage for the past 5 or so years until a few weeks ago when he simply gave it to me! I plan on taking it to college this fall and have experience working on cars so I've done my best so far to resurrect the beast.

Checklist:
new battery, turns over, new spark plug (confirmed spark when grounded)
cleaned carb, replaced the slow jet (completely clogged), and made sure every channel was open
siphoned out the old gas (nasty stuff)
changed the oil

I believe the problem is in fuel delivery; possibly a vacuum issue, but I am having trouble nailing it down.

The carb fills will gas very very slowly. after trying to crank/kickstart her for a long time or letting it sit, the carb drain tube (when opened) will vent a stream of fuel. If I just try for a minute or two the carb will only let out a few drops. My fuel filter is not clogged either.

UPDATE: after sitting overnight following the above conclusions I went to start it and it fired first try; ran for about 1.5 minutes before sputtering out! Further makes me think it has to do with fuel delivering. Giving it throttle also would make it die.

TLDR:
turning over = yes
spark = yes
fuel = questionable
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:37:04 PM by cmatson »

Jim C

• View Profile
Re: Starting idling; Bringing back to life after 5 years of sitting!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
check all the vacuum lines and the air box. It has to have good vacuum for fuel to flow and to stop flowing. I just went through all this with a 2012 Symba that had sat a while.   

vintagegarage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
smatson.. I know this is an old topic, but I just sent you a pm.. please have a look at it.. much appreciated..

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:32 AM »
I am in the same boat. I just brought my Symba back to life after sitting for a few years in storage. Itís not running very well at all, but it does fire up.

This is my first post on this forum in about five years, which is probably about how long my bike has been in storage! Iím sure I have old gas in the system, and even though I cleaned out the carb, itís still a pretty rough runner.
'10 SYM Symba (light blue)
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX
'77 Garelli SuperSport XL
'72 Honda N600 (the car; 2 cyl. 598cc air-cooled)
(former bikes: '73 Honda CT90, '91 Honda CT70)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()