Author Topic: Yes, a newbie to SYM Citicom 300i seeking your wisened collective advice.  (Read 2023 times)

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 Hello all,  Here's my story briefly. I just bought like today.... a spanky new, zero mileage 2009 SYM Citicom 300i from a motorcycle shop that closed it doors via an auction. Ok, no user manual comes with when I went to pick it up. So I am full of questions. Like what octane gas to use. Transmission oil and Engine oil do you recommend. I was able to download the user and service manuals online. I want this scooter for my work commute which is over an hour away, so this little thing better be reliable... I am a woman, motorcyclist...own a Yamaha  bagger which is great for long runs. A puddle jumper just looked like fun and I hope I get great gas mileage. Is gear oil the same as transmission oil? I am thinking so. Where do you recommend for getting replacement parts. I would like to run synthetic in it, but I need the weights.   There are no scooter mechanics in my neck of the woods, so a lot of this I will be doing for myself.  Does this bike have issues I need to look out for? Also are there  SYM tool kits to purchase to put in your bike?   Thanks in advance. I am used to riding 964 lb bike, this thing is quite wobbly and high. Sort of freaky. Also no shifter... You just use your brakes all the time to slow down? You must go thru a lot of brake pads. Assure me I will not die on this thing....BTW, what average sweet zone this bike likes to go at? Top end is 79 mph?    Thanks...WR   8)

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 PS I have ridden motorcycles since 2000 all over the country.. so I am not totally new... just need to adjust to a scooter. … What do you average mileage wise with country driving?

Thoppa

• View Profile
Hello all,  Here's my story briefly. I just bought like today.... a spanky new, zero mileage 2009 SYM Citicom 300i from a motorcycle shop that closed it doors via an auction. Ok, no user manual comes with when I went to pick it up. So I am full of questions. Like what octane gas to use. Transmission oil and Engine oil do you recommend. I was able to download the user and service manuals online. I want this scooter for my work commute which is over an hour away, so this little thing better be reliable... I am a woman, motorcyclist...own a Yamaha  bagger which is great for long runs. A puddle jumper just looked like fun and I hope I get great gas mileage. Is gear oil the same as transmission oil? I am thinking so. Where do you recommend for getting replacement parts. I would like to run synthetic in it, but I need the weights.   There are no scooter mechanics in my neck of the woods, so a lot of this I will be doing for myself.  Does this bike have issues I need to look out for? Also are there  SYM tool kits to purchase to put in your bike?   Thanks in advance. I am used to riding 964 lb bike, this thing is quite wobbly and high. Sort of freaky. Also no shifter... You just use your brakes all the time to slow down? You must go thru a lot of brake pads. Assure me I will not die on this thing....BTW, what average sweet zone this bike likes to go at? Top end is 79 mph?    Thanks...WR   8)

Hi - good choice of scooter and you lucked out with zero miles :-) I've had no problems with mine. After 43,000kms one fork seal needs replacing but this is just servicing really, so if you look after yours, it should be trouble free. I put the scoot on my blog so there's lots of info there https://myl8test.wordpress.com/mbikes/sym-citycom-300i/

You already downloaded a service manual https://myl8test.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/city-com-service-manual.pdf
Here are parts lists pdfs, not that you'll need them http://www.symcanada.com/techPages/techCityCom.html
I use 95 unleaded.
I use cheap 10W40 API SL engine oil - change when the red oil light comes on. It's quite frequent so don't waste $$ on premium oil that is designed to last a long time. (BTW the oil light is not a warning light as such - a reminder light - reset it with a button press on the dash.) 
I change the gearbox oil using a jumbo syringe every second engine oil change - I use Castrol GL5 85W-140.
Air filters clog up rapidly and aren't cheap so a few owners have made their own from a discarded old one. It's easier than you imagine and worth it if you're looking to keep running costs low for long term use/ownership. If you can get a 5cm x 20cm K&N element, this will flow about the same as the original larger paper element. Epoxy putty is a decent seal and solid fixing to hold the K&N filter onto the SYM filter frame.
My brake pads have lasted well but I commute on a highway so YMMV. I found cheap replacements on Ebay - details in the blog.
Your tires might be very old Maxxis - any cracks? Most people love Michelin City Grips but I can't get them here in HK so I have Seyoun NJK - quite similar to the original Maxxis.
No idea about sourcing parts or tool kits for you there, sorry.
The front bodywork is a major pain to remove until you've had some practice, so even a bulb change can take half a day at first. The headlight system is funky so stick to standard bulbs - it won't work with LEDs as standard.
Coming from a motorcycle, the handling will be a little odd at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. The front brake is crap because of a tail heavy weight distribution and the pads are crap - EBC do a sintered metal pad upgrade SFA264HH that fixes that. Keep the OEM front pads - they are identical to the ones in the rear where they work well. Again, details on the blog :-)
The first place to rust will probably be the rear shock springs and then the starter motor, located immediately in front of the rear wheel. I removed the rust and painted it with Hammerite.

Not much else to know - just do the usual checks and servicing and it'll last. You can keep the unpainted plastics looking fresh with Amor All Protectant or similar. :-)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:42:34 AM by thoppa »
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

hmwindrider

• View Profile
Hi thoppa,
 Thanks, first off for all the info.  I greatly appreciate it. :]  I just got a call from the shop where my bike is at and found out the fuel pump and gas tank need to be replaced. So not such a great auction deal after all. I am concerned about the injectors. Where do you get parts, such as the ones I just mentioned? I have phoned Scooter shops in two states looking for these parts.... of course no one stocks them. I live in the United States by the way... Also I found out that SYM was bought out by Lance corporation? So I am concerned if these parts are still being manufactured. This bike sat in the shop for 9 years. Everything else looks good on it thus far. The mechanics were able to get the engine to turn over….but it has not been down the road yet.  Do you have any sources where I can order a fuel pump and gas tank?  Thanks in advance.  ;D

redridinghood

• View Profile
Also I found out that SYM was bought out by Lance corporation?

Nope...SYM makes 1,000,000 bikes per year and Lance makes 0. Lance scooters are rebadged bikes made by other companies. From 2009 to the present, Lance scooters have been made by SYM (Chinese companies prior to that)

I would cut to the chase and call Alliance (the US importer of your scooter and under the same roof as Lance)  https://www.alliancepowersports.com/contact.html

You can Google 'SYM parts list' and there you'll find parts diagrams and part numbers for your scooter....(Googles part numbers for gas tank and fuel pump...🤐)

Call Alliance. Cam has a business that ships parts from Taiwan, for a reason. Wish I could find that article where it mentions that Alliance has removed parts from complete, brand new units (making the scooters unsellable for the meantime) in order to get a customers bike back on the road.

SYM is a big player... https://www.alliancepowersports.com/about.html Bet the farm that parts availability in other markets is a whole other ballgame
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:35:28 PM by redridinghood »

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'd keep an eye on the 9 year old rubber parts; tires, fuel and vacuum lines, etc.

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 Trying to get a dealer to call back with parts is frustrating to say the least. Called Alliance Powersports this morning, and if push comes to shove, they will deal with me directly after the weekend.  I need to purchase everything  coming off from the engine down to the tank. So I look at the parts list.... I see H30W-C (LEC) at the top of the page. Is this the main part number for the entire fuel tank assembly? …. Or do I order 1670A-LEA-100 FUEL PUMP ASSY and 1750-LEA-010 Fuel unit tank.... with these latter two, will I get all the hoses, nuts bolts, etc? I want to replace it all. Thanks, and I hope I am not being a bother.

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 One more thing, I take it the fuel injector and gas tank has not changed in design from 2008 (when the bike was originally manufactured to present.... Am I correct on this?

redridinghood

• View Profile
I see H30W-C (LEC) at the top of the page. Is this the main part number for the entire fuel tank assembly? …. Or do I order 1670A-LEA-100 FUEL PUMP ASSY and 1750-LEA-010 Fuel unit tank.... with these latter two, will I get all the hoses, nuts bolts, etc? I want to replace it all.
A lot of individual part numbers...

Number at the top is a model designation...it'll be on every page of the parts diagrams for this scooter.

Look at part number 6...  http://www.symcanada.com/_techSpecs/techCityCom/LH30W-C(F12)FuelTankAssy.pdf a box with parts 7 & 9 inside it. This is the only case on this diagram of having the option of buying multiple parts with a single part number.

To answer the question about parts being the same up to the present...(I don't know what changes were made 2016 and newer, but your scooter is a 2009 and before the engine changes in 2016 that bumped displacement a little and horsepower a lot)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:11:24 PM by redridinghood »

Mike @ Lance Powersports

• View Profile
reply to redridinghood,  No need for a fancy article, You simply Must know for every model of bike we have imported we have Always taken new inventory apart to get customers back on the road! The brand would have died long ago if we didn't! Parts coming in from Taiwan and China on occasion can take an extended period so that aspect of our business has been in place since we took over distribution of the SYM line back in April of 2011. 

Thank you,
Mike @ SYM USA 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()