Author Topic: Citicom up and running... but top ends at 40 mph.. Ideas on what is wrong?  (Read 1658 times)

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 Again, thanks in advance for all your input.  So I bought bike 2009 thru auction liquidation with only 2 miles on it. Put on New fuel injector, gas tank, air filter, fluids changed.... but the scooter has gutless acceleration, and top ends at 40 mph... Gas had set in the tank while the bike sat in the back room of a dealer prior to my purchase....rusted out the tank and froze up the fuel injector...so like I said , these were replaced. Any ideas what else could be wrong?  Being serviced by a motorcycle mechanic...not me.  It seems to be running good, engine sound wise....not missing. Is this just
 normal break in? Will it run better with more miles??
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:23:32 AM by hmwindrider »

G-Dub

• View Profile
Just stabbing in the dark here...did you also replace everything between the tank and injector, like fuel line, filter, etc?  Have you checked the intake path besides the air filter?  Spark plug?  Nothing plugging the exhaust (critters)?  Good voltage at the battery when it's running (around 14 volts)?  Battery and ground connections tight (look for where battery cables attach to the bike)? 

Does it seem like the engine is revving normally?  If it is and just not getting speed, there could be a problem in the drive train...variator, belt or clutch problems.

Bike should run normally right out of the box, break-in won't matter if everything is correct.  My 171cc will easily run 70 on the highway, so you should be doing better than that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:26:39 PM by G-Dub »
-Gary

2008 HD200
2007 Helix
2012 DR650
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000

G-Dub

• View Profile
Regarding drive train, I would start just by looking at the belt and making sure the variable pulleys are clean and dry.  Also check the brakes - make sure both wheels spin freely if off the ground.
-Gary

2008 HD200
2007 Helix
2012 DR650
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 Maybe I should just sell it and cut my losses. This scoot is costing me an arm and a leg. My motorcycle is cheaper to have worked on...Are you all worried about getting parts with Trump's tariffs going into effect? Markup I hear of 25%. SUck……

G-Dub

• View Profile
No one would blame you if you just want to dump it, but I would exhaust all the low cost checks and troubleshooting items first. If it were me I'd want to know what the problem is regardless, then make a decision to sell it if repairs were more than I wanted to put into it. It would really be a bummer to sell at a loss and then find out it was ultimately a simple 10 minute fix.
-Gary

2008 HD200
2007 Helix
2012 DR650
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 I am pretty fed up with the mechanic working on it now. How freaking different is a 268 cc scoot from a motorcycle.... the principles have to be the same.  I am thinking of just taking it home and working  on it myself... Everyone has to learn to wrench sometime.... I am not stupid... If I get overfaced, I can always suck it up, rent a pull behind trailer and drag the little sucker across the state to a SYM dealer.  I just don't trust the service guy there, I talked to...200 bucks for a used tank? Umm... no. Nor did I like his suggestion after that, to use a rust remover compound to flush my old rusty one... All I would need is rust particles to get into the engine and ruin that. When you are a woman, they see you coming.... G-DUB I will take your advice... try the low end stuff first, ....etc....Thanks.

G-Dub

• View Profile
Yeah, it's not rocket science, and except for the drive train, the principles are the same as any other motorcycle.  Do you have riding friends who do their own wrenching who could help you?  I'm certainly no whiz, but post back here and I'll help as I can, probably others that can chime in as well.  You have to go through it methodically to start eliminating things...could take a little time so try not to get discouraged.  If you're on other motorcycle forums that have some knowledgeable folks you could try posting for help there as well.
-Gary

2008 HD200
2007 Helix
2012 DR650
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000

hmwindrider

• View Profile
Happy ending !!! The bike is running fine. Picked it up today. Mechanic tweaked it and I don't know what else he did, but I just spent  3hours riding it, big hills, down snaking country roads and let it out. My motorcycle mechanic called it," squirrely with no guts"...but ok, it is only 268 cc's. So he's a scooter hater. Ah well.

The Citicom took on everything I threw it's way today. Cruised at 70 mph for a while, and it did just fine.  How is this little bugger for long distance travel? Is 6-7 hours of steady travel at about 70-75 mph too taxing for this scoot?  My oldest son now rides a moped in the city where he lives,  and I let him ride it  when I got back, after a little instruction... He did great.   I would love to travel with him on a family road trip once he gets his motorcycle endorsement. Me on my motorcycle and him on the Citicom. My son is just not a motorcycle kind of guy. (Don't know where I went wrong as his mother...) But hey, it will be  fun as well for commuting back and forth on my one hour long commute to work for me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:55:04 PM by hmwindrider »

G-Dub

• View Profile
That's great news!  For the sake of educational information, it would be good to know what exactly the mechanic did to get it going, if you get a chance to ask.
-Gary

2008 HD200
2007 Helix
2012 DR650
2014 V-Strom 1000
2016 GSX-S1000

hmwindrider

• View Profile
 I found out the woman answering the phone in service when I went in yesterday to pick the bike up had told me wrong information. When I spoke to my mechanic, he just didn't let it wide open to test for more speed due to the busy road the shop is on. He hates scoots to boot. So he was bitching to her about sluggish throttle response, etc... What he did was go thru all the systems, replaced spark plug, battery, new fuel injector fuel filter, and gas tank..basically replaced everything from the engine back to and including the tank. The tank interior was so rusty and jagged looking inside, that it looked like the remaining fur on a sheep that has been freshly sheared. It was a good choice to replace the tank, because more debris would definitely have shed from the interior Outside of tank still looked new. He went over, and tightened bolts, checking for belt wear, fork seals, exhaust, tires. Changed out all fluids. So parts.... new fuel injector and parts and gas tank ran 556.00 bucks. ... Bought from a SYM Dealer going thru Allied. Seems like a lot for plastic fuel injector and a small tank. Mark up must be incredible. Did I get screwed? LABOR was around 200. The latter, I think was reasonable.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Congrats, hmwindrider! I think if the Citicom stays running well, there's no reason for it not to run all day. I don't think you got screwed either, even if almost 900 bucks is a big bite.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()