Author Topic: CruiSYM 300  (Read 36386 times)

Thoppa

• View Profile
Re: CruiSYM 300
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
Aha. I did wonder what a cross-head was doing as a clamp bolt - it would be far too easy to round off the slots with the torque needed. It's quite hard to round out an allen head though, and I assume the head of the bolt is recessed too, so you can't get mole grips on it, or use an angle grinder to cut a slot in it. So you can try an imperial oversized allen key or a torx key, and hammer in the key. I'm guessing you don't have a screw extractor tool, or welding gear, or metal-based epoxy glue so those aren't options. Like you, I wouldn't bother trying to drill it out - it'll still be very hard to remove - and repairing the shape using needle files will take too long too.

I replaced that allen bolt with a regular raised hex head some time ago, but that was because the threads in the fork had been damaged - it didn't feel good when tightening it up - like it was ready to turn too easily, not tighten up. So I used an extra long bolt to reach into deeper threads, with a thick washer under the head. The washer helps distribute the load - essential because the recess in the fork for the allen head creates a gap under the washer, so the washer has uneven load across it - hence it needs to be thick steel. Without the thick washer, the bolt's head would experience the uneven load and would be more likely to fail in time. Stress will concentrate around the base of the head, and it will work on microscopic cracks, leading to catastrophic failure - the head will shear off. With the washer, it should be fine for the load, but it's not ideal. If I could get a longer allen bolt I would.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2021, 02:25:53 AM »
Thankyou for that Thoppa, it is because of it's position that I am reluctant to try anything. Leaving it to someone else seems the option for me.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2021, 02:43:22 AM »
I got a phone call to say my Silver wing had been repaired. They fitted a new starter relay and did a full diagnostic check on the electrics, and could find no fault. Total cost two hundred and sixty nine pounds. It is running okay but, I do not think I could ever be easy riding it again.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 12, 2021, 12:40:50 PM »
 I took my Cruisym into the dealer for a new front tyre on Monday ninth of august ( as arranged a month ago), on the way in i got a puncture in the rear tyre!!, i made it into the dealers though as it was a slow puncture. Instead of just a front tyre i needed both front and rear tyres,as they do not repair punctures. However they did a good job and bike was ready for collection today on Thursday. I was surprised that it only cost 157. I expected at least one hundred per tyre. However, i am back on the road with a set of new tyres and a new Pinch bolt!

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 12, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »
Good to hear both machines are running again :-) Did they say how they removed the SYM's pinch bolt?
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2021, 02:37:34 AM »
Strange that, not a word about any problems. I assume they have experience at removing rounded bolts, especially Allen key bolts.

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 17, 2021, 04:22:10 AM »
Well if they replaced the bolt and didn't add any specific charge to do it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have mentioned it either.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2021, 02:45:22 AM »
Out riding yesterday I clocked up 38000 km. With the new set of tyres it feels like it did from new. I had been using Michelin city grips after the original Maxxis wore out , but, the dealer fitted City grips2, and they match the bike even better. They hold the road and give confidence in any situation, very pleased with them.

gasgas

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2021, 10:29:30 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I got my Cruisym new 3 years ago - I haven't used it much for various reasons, one being that I have three other vehicles one of which is a Royal Enfield Interceptor. I am getting the Cruisym on the road again after it has been in my garage for probably 18 months, it has done 5200km. It passed the MOT today as you would expect, but it has the engine light on. the battery probably went down a bit while in storage although I did periodically charge it with a Ctek charger and it always started when I tried it just to keep the oil circulating. Today before the MOT I changed the engine oil and pumped up the tyres and reset the oil change light. At the MOT place, for some reason the engine wouldn't turn over when the starter button was pressed. After a few tries it did so that was OK. Apparently if a car has the amber engine light on, it fails the MOT but that does not apply to a motorbike. It runs perfectly. Can anyone suggest what I should look for? I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes but after replacing it, the light is still there.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2021, 12:23:58 PM »
Hello Gas gas. I use my bike almost daily ,so never been laid up. The only time my engine warning light comes on is when i change the final drive oil. As i know there is nothing wrong, i ignore the light until it gets fed up and goes out. It might be worth calling at a SYM dealer just to get an inspection on the electrics.    My battery failed after three years even though regularly used. In the UK Moto GB is the main agent for SYM.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()