Author Topic: CruiSYM 300  (Read 36381 times)

Tromper

• View Profile
Re: CruiSYM 300
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
Maybe it just doesn't feel right unless there's a little grit in the oil.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2021, 12:17:45 AM »
I refitted the wheel, after cleaning and oiling everything that needed it. I started the bike up and, once again the engine warning light came on. Each time I started up, on came the warning light. After a good run around today150km it finally went out. Why this happens I do not know. It comes on each time I change the fiinal drive oil. I know there is nothing wrong so just ignore it, until it gives up!.

I'm curious - which warning light comes on? Is it the yellow engine light?
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
Yes that is the one,Thoppa, Usually it should go out once the engine is started. After the final drive oil change it has always come on, i have changed the oil four times and, each time, the engine light comes on. My thoughts are, it has something to do with the pressure inside the drive unit and once it is happy with the pressure, it just goes out. Why it should have come on after changing the rear tyre i cannot figure out.

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »
Hi,

That is an odd one.

I don't think there is a pressure sensor for the gearbox/drive oil - as I understand it, they are reduction gears in a bath of sticky thick oil, so it doesn't have a pump and so there's no reason to monitor pressure. Besides pressure, the oil level is not at risk from component failure either, unless the bolts (infusion and drain) come out, so I doubt if there is any level sensor either. Here's a schematic of the transmission - no electrical parts:
https://goparts.eu/en/genuine-oem/sym/scooter/cruisym-300-l8-eu/2018/mission-case-comp

So that's why I'm curious - why is the light coming on after a gearbox oil change.

The yellow engine light is described as an "EFi trouble warning light" in the manuals - for example, mine used to come on when I was experimenting with the solenoid for the exhaust-air-injection emissions gear. If the solenoid wasn't connected, the light came on. I think there is a diagnostic code to identify the broad reason why the light has come on. As you say, it may be an inconsequential warning but perhaps it's worth investigating?

I looked up how to do this without the SYM dealer's disgnostic scanner - it starts on page 87 of the Citycom service manual. There's a connector to find, and then by connecting the ends of this with a paper clip (as the manual suggests) the system will flash the light in a kind of code of long / short flashes.  Unfortunately, that part of the manual is very poorly translated so it is quite hard to understand. Maye pop to a dealer?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:29:44 AM by Thoppa »
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
In my Silver wing workshop manual they have the same diagnostic, system it can go as high as counting the blinks, up wards of 33 blinks! If I know there is nothing wrong, and, there has not been, up till now, I won't worry about it, just consider it one of it's quirks.

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2021, 11:19:36 PM »
An electrical gremlin :-) Like Tromper says, maybe it's just not happy until it's feeling used.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
Just done the 35,000km service today. Everything is straight forward on the Sym. The spark plug looked like new. Only cost was some white spirit, to clean cranckase filter, just over one liter of oil,and a bit of oil on various parts. The more i ride it the more ilike it.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2021, 02:55:06 AM »
On Thursday  (this week),  I went for a short ride on the Silvering. I only got about three miles when the engine stopped. E!ectrical failure. On inspection the main fuse had not only blown but had melted. This happened about twelve months ago. I had an auto electrician fit a new starter relay switch ( which is what melted then). I have since done over a thousand miles with no trouble. I have breakdown cover. This time I had the bike trailered to my local Honda dealer for repair and diagnostic check. They cannot look at the bike for about a month. I am so thankful that I have my Sym. First chance I get the Honda goes.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2021, 07:08:19 PM »
Well heck Sy, glad you're OK.  Sorry that the bike is not.
I have not heard of a S'wing having notable electrical issues other than yours; albeit I don't track them a lot.

A backup bike is a wonderful thing.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »
Sorry to hear it died but at least you weren't far from home when it did, and breakdown recovery is a wonderful thing! I can't believe Honda are telling you to wait a month. It's probably corrosion that could be fixed in under an hour.

Many years ago, I was touring in France on a Yamaha YZF600 and the gearbox died in the middle of nowhere. I waited six hours for the RAC recovery vehicle, and my Yamaha took 3 days to fix. A bolt had worked loose, that was all - no parts required. Thankfully, the RAC arranged a hire car for me as part of the breakdown cover, and I think they were calling the Yamaha garage to get the repair done quickly because of that. I was so thankful I had breakdown cover but 3 days just to  do a bolt ... I would be quite upset if they had told me a month. No wonder you don't want the machine anymore. Which Honda dealer is it?  Have you posted this on a popular site? Sometimes the negative PR can induce a company to get their arse in gear.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2021, 02:37:21 AM »
 It would seem most dealers are booked up with servicing and repairs. I would normally not use a dealer but , in this case, I need it sorted out once and for all. As for them keeping it for a month I don't really care. My breakdown cover is for both bikes and is sixty pounds a year, in this case they were less than one hour coming from my calling them. The Company is Emergency Assist.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
As my Silverwing is in for repairs i have been using the Cruisym. I noticed the front tyre is down to two millimeters of tread, i usually change tyres at this point. To remove the front wheel there is a pinch bolt that secures the main shaft in place. This bolt is a phillips head bolt , despite having a really good fit in the bolt it rounded off, and i could not undo the bolt. I know i could drill the bolt and use screw extractors but, i find it difficult to bend and get to the bolt. I went to my local Sym agent. The earliest they can do the job is ninth of August. Every time i come across Phillips head bolts i seem to have this problem. I will ask for an ordinary bolt to be put in for future use.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »
Good plan, & dang what a PITA.

As my Silverwing is in for repairs i have been using the Cruisym. I noticed the front tyre is down to two millimeters of tread, i usually change tyres at this point. To remove the front wheel there is a pinch bolt that secures the main shaft in place. This bolt is a phillips head bolt , despite having a really good fit in the bolt it rounded off, and i could not undo the bolt. I know i could drill the bolt and use screw extractors but, i find it difficult to bend and get to the bolt. I went to my local Sym agent. The earliest they can do the job is ninth of August. Every time i come across Phillips head bolts i seem to have this problem. I will ask for an ordinary bolt to be put in for future use.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2021, 04:07:38 AM »
Hi,

You can also try large mole grips / locking pliers / grip wrench - this has worked for me sometimes - if you don't want to wait. 

And I've also used an angle grinder to cut a slot in the head of the bolt so I can use a slot-head screwdriver on it however, this can go horribly wrong (head shears off if the slot goes too deep) and from what you say, there probably isn't clear access for the angle grinder.
Ninja 650R
Citycom 300

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2021, 05:21:52 AM »
Oh oh my mistake I should have said Allen key bolt NOT Phillips.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()