Author Topic: CruiSYM 300  (Read 36376 times)

Sylar

• View Profile
Re: CruiSYM 300
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2021, 03:12:29 AM »
I have been giving some thought as to why the battery failed. I have always thought that running the bike every few days was enough to keep the battery charged. Maybe my heated vest and heated handlebar grips was too much drain on the charging system, I will keep that in mind in future.

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »
In my experience batteries last two, maybe three years. Also they work, work, work, fail. My last scooter battery to fail started fine in the morning, started fine before lunch then when I came out of the restaurant to return to work, nothing.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2021, 11:38:47 PM »
Yep, what Syd said.
They work until they don't.
The last one I replaced failed when I went to start the bike with a very audible <pop>.
Annoyingly it looked and spec'd OK until I put a load test on it which showed it was beyond hope.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
I am really surprised about the battery problems you descibe. I have had bikes for over sixty years, and scooters for the last eleven years,and this is the first time i have ever had a battery fail this way. I always maintained that, if rode regulary, a battery would hold it's charge, i must have been very lucky. My current Silverwing is six years old and i bought it new, it has 43,676 miles on it and i have never had the battery off to charge it. My previous Silverwing i had 40,000 miles on it and again never had the battery off to charge it. I will bear in mind what has been reported though, and check the battery condition often.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2021, 05:35:33 PM »
Almost apples and oranges there Sy.

Pretty sure the S'wing comes with a YUASA as an OEM.
SYMs do not.
Though some will argue that they're overpriced for the most part YUASA is well regarded.  I haven't really had any issues with 'em personally, & have only seen a couple grumble's bout 'em online.
The OEM batteries in Kymco's and SYMs as well as misc Chinese & other Taiwanese scoots seem a bit of a mixed bag, particularly in colder environments.

I am really surprised about the battery problems you descibe. I have had bikes for over sixty years, and scooters for the last eleven years,and this is the first time i have ever had a battery fail this way. I always maintained that, if rode regulary, a battery would hold it's charge, i must have been very lucky. My current Silverwing is six years old and i bought it new, it has 43,676 miles on it and i have never had the battery off to charge it. My previous Silverwing i had 40,000 miles on it and again never had the battery off to charge it. I will bear in mind what has been reported though, and check the battery condition often.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2021, 03:03:00 AM »
I think you are right Tromper,  the ( Burgman battery) is doing the job. I will keep the original Sym battery to power my twelve volt  appliances , my air compressor and torque wrench. My wife and I got our second covid19 shots yesterday. How are the USA doing with vaccinations? do you have to pay? The SYM battery is definitely kaput. I have charged it several times and it is dead after a couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 06:30:45 AM by Sylar »

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2021, 01:54:26 AM »
There is no cost for the shot, but the outfits giving them will hit your insurance for some kind of charge if ya have it.
Far as how it's being done, up to about the middle of this month it's varied by state.  Mine, Washington, has notably lagged.  Political BS mostly, but some incompetence as well.

Personally I'm set for my first shot this week..annoyingly found that via an alternate route I could have done this last month, but as the French cest....La vie.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »
Normally April is our wettest month, but this April has been nothing but Sunny days, with frost at night. The wind is still cold but plenty of heat in the sun. I have been riding as normal, using the Sym and the Silverwing. The Silverwing has the power and speed ,but the Sym is more fun and definately has the better brakes. I average just over ninety miles to the gallon on the Sym, and Sixty miles per gallon on the Silverwing. I am at 33, 237km on the Sym and it gets better with each ride, i have had no problems since changing the battery.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:49 AM »
In the UK when a motor vehicle  has been on the road (from new)for three years it must be tested by an examiner, and pass a roadworthy test. My Cruisym is three years old this month, so I have it booked in to be tested. It also needs a new rear tyre so both can be done at the same time,my local Sym dealer can do both.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2021, 02:49:50 AM »
A few states do inspections of sorts.  Mine is not one of 'em.
Kinda try to keep the bike intact and running anyway.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
I should have added that the test is only valid for one year, each vehicle has to have the same inspection yearly, by law, to keep on the road.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2021, 02:46:44 AM »
Although I booked my Sym in for it's first test, I decided to take it to a local testing station yesterday, it passed. I then decided to take the rear wheel off and replace the rear tyre. To my surprise the wheel came off , no problem, so I await to hear when my tyre comes in, so they can fit it. A rear tyre seems to last 10,000km.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »
What tires ya using these days Sy?
The OEM on the HD were definitely designed for longevity.  Solid as a rock.  Mine probably have their original tread to this day unless they've been recycled.  I replaced them cuz they gripped like rocks as well.

Although I booked my Sym in for it's first test, I decided to take it to a local testing station yesterday, it passed. I then decided to take the rear wheel off and replace the rear tyre. To my surprise the wheel came off , no problem, so I await to hear when my tyre comes in, so they can fit it. A rear tyre seems to last 10,000km.
08 SYM HD200 - Deceased
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »
The original tyres were Maxi's but, my tyre fitter said they do not do Maxi's, The Maxi lasted about the same mileage 10,000km. I had Michelin city grips the first time, and have stayed with that brand on changing, as they seem to work pretty well in all weathers. The new tyre was ready today so it is now on the wheel.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:58:44 AM by Sylar »

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2021, 08:55:17 AM »
I refitted the wheel, after cleaning and oiling everything that needed it. I started the bike up and, once again the engine warning light came on. Each time I started up, on came the warning light. After a good run around today150km it finally went out. Why this happens I do not know. It comes on each time I change the fiinal drive oil. I know there is nothing wrong so just ignore it, until it gives up!.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()