Author Topic: CruiSYM 300  (Read 22409 times)

Sylar

• View Profile
Re: CruiSYM 300
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2020, 02:24:23 AM »
Revs kept dropping slightly at tickover, plug was okay, but I put an iridium plug in that I already had 26095 km now.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2020, 01:15:19 AM »
Iridiums are great.
I use copper in the SYM since I'm in there often enough and the plug's real easy to get at, but on my Burgman I swapped to iridium plugs when I started getting some blow out at high speeds/revs at about 18k.  Checked 'em when I checked the valves a while back not a spot of wear looked great.
The OEM Iridium plugs in my RAV4 run for about 120k with no issues (just changed those a bit ago as well..probably the last time I'll need to)
Well worth the expense on applications that aren't performance and particularly ones that are tough to get at.  Probably worth it on others, but last time I got lazy on the SYM and had the dealer do some work he did me a kindness and replaced the plug (an iridium with about 2k on it) with a copper plug...
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Hello Tromper, i usually fit Iridium plugs when changing the original plug. In the UK we can usually buy an iridium plug for the same price as a standard plug, so it makes sense to change to one.Autumn ( Fall) as you call it, is just around the corner, the sun is still warm but the wind has cooled things down. Still fine sunny days followed by cloudy cooler days suits me either way, as long as i have the right clothing on.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
Iridium plugs are a bit more expensive here, but not painfully so.

Far as riding goes.  I believe your climate is similar to what I have here in the Pacific North West (Puget Sound in my case) area.
Summers are mild, winters are wet and cool.
Apart from the mountains snow is remarkable, fog is common and black ice can be an issue.

The cooler weather is just a matter of layering correctly.  Really what's thought to be cold around here is a far cry from where I'm from originally so it's not that bad for me.

Hello Tromper, i usually fit Iridium plugs when changing the original plug. In the UK we can usually buy an iridium plug for the same price as a standard plug, so it makes sense to change to one.Autumn ( Fall) as you call it, is just around the corner, the sun is still warm but the wind has cooled things down. Still fine sunny days followed by cloudy cooler days suits me either way, as long as i have the right clothing on.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
The last few days it has turned really cold. Heat in the sun but very cold wind. The iridium plug seems to have cured the loss of revs at tickover. I have now put my handlebar covers on and wearing my winter gloves. I keep a check on fuel cosumption, and i average 95 M.P.G.

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2020, 02:44:47 AM »
We are having very strange weather One day constant rain, the next, warm, and sunny. I had a 180km ride out yesterday, to Fleetwood, a fishing town on the coast of Northwest England. A very pleasant day out. On the way home, on a stretch of a country lane cruising along at fifty m.p.h, the road was two feet deep in water, in a place ,fortunately the cars coming the other way gave way, so I did not get drenched by their bow wave. The Sym never missed a beat and soon dried out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:58:38 AM by Sylar »

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2020, 02:59:52 AM »
Yesterday I had a180km ride, it is certainly getting colder. I have a Keis heated vest that I wear in winter, not cold enough for it yet. I normally wear, base layer, windproof layer then outer jacket and trousers ( both with quited liner). The Sym is my number one bike now and is a pleasure to ride, the only things that annoy me are the clock is twenty four hours I would prefer twelve and the speedo main is in KM.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2020, 12:49:14 AM »
If you really want MPH/Miles (Dunno why, but sure why not?) & if that's the same cluster that they use on Citycom there's an off chance that something like this might work on yours.
Dunno what they exact way to do it on the SYM would be but that's pretty much identical to how it's switched on my Suzuki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91iSuioxtQ
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
The Cruisym does not have an electronic Speedo, just the large dial. In the UK we calculate in miles, all road signs and destinations are in miles. Old duffers like me use miles, and feet and inches, we have now left the EU, that was the only reason we were obliged to use Km and thier  units of measurement.

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
I hear ya.

I live in the land of SAE measurements, but have a mild preference for metric, but only because it's annoying to keep two sets of tools and most of the world is metric.  Dividing by 8 or 10 doesn't make that bit a difference to me.
Not much to do with a mechanical unless you want to take it apart and redo the gearing then chance the face.
Lot of work for limited gain, but possible.

The Cruisym does not have an electronic Speedo, just the large dial. In the UK we calculate in miles, all road signs and destinations are in miles. Old duffers like me use miles, and feet and inches, we have now left the EU, that was the only reason we were obliged to use Km and thier  units of measurement.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2020, 03:35:14 AM »
Just topped 28200 kms. Getting colder now, layering up no longer warm enough , time to get my Keis heated vest out again. Many clear sunny days in between the cloudy rainy days ,so a lot of good rides. The Sym is performing really well, I think it is well run in now, always get 90+ m.p. g.and a pleasure to ride. We are in "lockdown" again, so not suppose to leave home except to exercise, well riding is my exercise One other point is it uses no oil in between oil changes, I check oil level weekly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:55:33 AM by Sylar »

Tromper

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2020, 10:35:10 PM »
A mite nippy around here too Sy,
Picked up some battery power gloves, but since it's raining all the time can't say I've put any miles on to speak of.
The HD200's up for a bit of maintenance anyway, so what I've done has been on my Burgman.
Hoping things dry out, but sounding like a cold wet winter this year so likely not much action until spring.

Just topped 28200 kms. Getting colder now, layering up no longer warm enough , time to get my Keis heated vest out again. Many clear sunny days in between the cloudy rainy days ,so a lot of good rides. The Sym is performing really well, I think it is well run in now, always get 90+ m.p. g.and a pleasure to ride. We are in "lockdown" again, so not suppose to leave home except to exercise, well riding is my exercise One other point is it uses no oil in between oil changes, I check oil level weekly.
08 SYM HD200
07 Suzuki Burgman 650

Sylar

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi Tromper, i have heated handlebar grips and i also have Keis heated inner gloves and boot liners, but i do not like the cables running down my arm and legs so , rarely use them. It is still in the fifies (F) but set to get a lot colder in the near future. Hope you stay well and keep safe. I have been on my Silverwing 600 lately, just to keep everything loosened up and running free.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()