Author Topic: SYM brake disc replacement non OEM>  (Read 1341 times)

trying59

• View Profile
SYM brake disc replacement non OEM>
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
I ve running with the fact we all know that SYM cheap out and uses china clone parts .  Standards off the shelf .   There in I ve been looking around  at the rear disc on my citycom for some info since SYM will not sell your a rebuild kit .   You ll have to pop 150 bucks I think for a new one.     So starting with the pads the disc take I ve been able to make up the  list of other brands that take the same thing.   Ask and I ll give you the link over at advrider.com battle scooter part of forum.
       SYM may indeed use this brake on other sym models it seem.  Also on Japan motorcycles.   China pit bikes .  Fleabay seem to also be selling something that look like a dead match .http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chinese-Mini-Motocross-Pitbike-Pit-Bike-Motorcycle-Brake-Caliper-Silver-/190654353647?hash=item2c63e290ef:m:mKb9sqd6TxTCONWYQsoeK2w&vxp=mtr
  www.aliexpress.com also has what is a dead on match i think .   http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Front-Disc-Hydraulic-Brake-Caliper-for-QJ-Keeway-Chinese-Scooter-Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Motorcycle-ATV-Moped/695692641.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_1_10056_10055_10049_10017_405_404_407_10040,searchweb201603_7&btsid=0cf26e47-f3d7-4449-bb2f-d3e5d6855c8b

I guess my point is new disc brake  around 25 to 40 bucks with shipping off allexpress and might be worth your time .    SYM just use off the shelf parts that you can find else were. 

Syd

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SYM brake disc replacement non OEM>
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
Not sure I've heard about the cheap Chinaparts before. My HD200 was solid.

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:01:41 AM »
While two parts may certainly look identical, who knows what the metallurgy is.  I had a guy tell me once that a mechanical part for a small SYM scooter was way too expensive at almost $17.00, and that he could get the same thing off of Ebay for $5.00 and he knew that as a fact because he had already gone through three or four of them.  Certainly there are  cheaper parts around--and some of them might be good, but it's buyer beware.

I sell genuine SYM mechanical parts only.  Why? Because I trust the quality of SYM parts, and I will not sell anybody a part I would not use myself.  When you only have two wheels between you and the asphalt, safety and quality are closely related.

Also, when changing a brake master cylinder or a brake caliper, they absolutely must be compatible [eg. hydraulic ratio:  master cylinder piston size, caliper piston size(s)] or you will have dangerous brakes. Read up thoroughly on brake technology before, rather than after, you buy something because it is a bargain.  It could save your life.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:31:31 AM by campurvis »
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

trying59

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
Your a great guy  but as we both know you cant get citycom parts .    We also know that SYM  uses the china    for most all there stock parts .  SYM are built to a price point once you go beyond the engine .    The wiring loom on a citcy com is really the thinnest gauge of wire they could use .   Starter switch is really shit , along with all the other switches .  They re cheap and the same as the ones you can buy from china for 5 bucks a set.  the soliniod is a cheap peace of shit on my citycom The same one as used here.   http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322182334135?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true   SYM refuses to offer brake rebuild kits unlike other scooter companies.    Beyond that you , the guys in Europe and the USA  and other can get parts easy.   SYM is now down to 7 dealers in Canada.  Just 7 places for parts without paying 30% more plus shipping from the usa.      My only point is if SYM cant step up to the plate and play ball with it's customers  then I going to find a pitch hitter to take there place.       There s no reason an air cleaner should cost 35 bucks plus.   That's what I m trying to find out .  Where to get  the parts and whom made the OEM ones .   SYM doesn't pay more cash out to build these thing then they need to.  STOCK parts that are made for more then one scooter / motorcycle are use except for the engine / cdi.   
I bought my citycom used .  If I had paid full price of it I would be taking a shit into bag and fed ex it to SYM head office to show how I feel about the shitty build that went into it.   Please understand when a company passes a  citycom frame as ok that has wielding splatter all over it there is something wrong .   When someone wield the soliniod mount to close the grab rail mount there is something wrong .  Combine these 2 and you get it starter system shorting out  after while.        So I love my citycom when it works but I would never buy a new SYM  .   6 grand for a citycom in canada.  A used honda forza is 4300.   That honda will still be running in 20 years .  The SYM would only last maybe 4 to 5 years.   
As to my bad writing it's the best I can do.       

Mike @ Lance Powersports

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Trying59 I trust your a great guy also but I would take Cams advice on using the original OEM parts for your bike. Also you are sorely mistaken if you think the majority of our parts are of poor quality, I would say do some research. The Citycom is and has been a great bike for us here in the USA, you make reference to Honda with just a bit more research you would know SYM Taiwan was partnered with Honda for 32 years. Sorry SYM appears to be struggling in Canada, our brand is thriving here in the United States. Your comments of a "shitty build" also speak to your lack of knowledge of the bike and the brand. Our Brand new Citycom will arrive on Tuesday, none for you though being stuck in Canada you know! ..http://www.sym-global.com/product/index/273/71

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()