Author Topic: Replacement key....  (Read 3011 times)

cavenger

• View Profile
Replacement key....
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:50:43 AM »
Where do I get a replacement key for the citycom? I need a spare.

Thosoneill

• View Profile
Re: Replacement key....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:50 AM »
Local hardware store with key cutting facility - as far as I am aware there is no chip or electronics within the key so a bog standard similar size key cut to size shall suffice

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »
Do you still have the little metal tag with the key #? The proper blank can be had from Alliance - apparently there are 40 variations of the blank...
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
Do you still have the little metal tag with the key #? The proper blank can be had from Alliance - apparently there are 40 variations of the blank...

No, unfortunately, I bought it used. Should I just contact my guy in Nashville and maybe they can cross reference my VIN to see what kind it is?

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
I haven't had to do that, so not sure if that will work. Suggest contacting Tim @ Alliance.

Thosoneill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
Seriously just get one cut at the hardware store - or do you really need a key with a sym logo :-\

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
That may work, but I was told that the Citycom and the Mio both have specific blanks (magnetic?)...

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:35:26 PM »
My local locksmith made me a copy of the CityCom key for $3. It just does not have the hex end for the key hole shutter door. I zip tie it in a hidden nook before I loan the City out just in case someone locks the key under the seat or looses it. $3 cheap insurance for me, as when they call I can just tell them were the spare is, and I dont have to fish out the factory spare and bring it to them. Do the same thing with the car if we loan it out. Neither has any special powers inside the keys like a chip (car is a Subaru Baja). I dont know the blank # that he used for the City but I will try to swing by his shop and find out. I got both keys with the metal code tag, and both keys to the Givi truck w/tag also, but I gave the trunk away. Im a SHAD guy.

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
My local locksmith made me a copy of the CityCom key for $3. It just does not have the hex end for the key hole shutter door. I zip tie it in a hidden nook before I loan the City out just in case someone locks the key under the seat or looses it. $3 cheap insurance for me, as when they call I can just tell them were the spare is, and I dont have to fish out the factory spare and bring it to them. Do the same thing with the car if we loan it out. Neither has any special powers inside the keys like a chip (car is a Subaru Baja). I dont know the blank # that he used for the City but I will try to swing by his shop and find out. I got both keys with the metal code tag, and both keys to the Givi truck w/tag also, but I gave the trunk away. Im a SHAD guy.

What I wouldn't do for that generic key today! I will try to find a decent locksmith and ask them.

ootscoot

• View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:09 PM »
Just exactly where on the bike is this key hidden?...

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
One of my middle panels, that go back to the fold out pegs, is broken. You can pull it away from the rest of the panels very easy. I just let the spare hang from a zip tie around a frame bracket. If it falls off, oh well, I'll just get another made. If its the car its under the rear bumper around the loom for the trailer hitch. Did you ever mail anything to my street address? Dont come to my 'hood and steal any of my whips!

Thosoneill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »
Upon asking the previous owner whether he had the spare key for the scooter he replied "oh yes it's behind the rear light assembly cover" so I had to remove it with a Phillips driver to recover it - so that's where he hid his

cavenger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »

What I wouldn't do for that generic key today! I will try to find a decent locksmith and ask them.

My local hardware store tried to make one work, but no luck. I guess next up is the locksmith.

DianeHalle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 09:12:00 AM »
Yes, take it to a locksmith who specializes in providing emergency locksmith service and making such keys.