Author Topic: SYM Wolf Classic 150 FAQ  (Read 17037 times)

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
Re: SYM Wolf Classic 150 FAQ
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Ask your dealer to get you a manual or email the USA distributor http://www.alliancepowersports.com/
Get your motor runnin' .. get out on the highway.

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/

ginad287

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
Mechanics Manual: I got this via someone who shared on the Lovers of Sym Wolf facebook group. But, thought it might be helpful to others in this thread and in forum who wanted a mechanics manual on the Wolf. I'm not 100% sure about the compatibility with each year. I have a 2015 and most of it seemed on point as I've casually perused it. Let me know if the link does not work for you or cannot download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwt6gUtQJQfdTjJkMHZVN3pZLVU/view?usp=sharing

I have been wondering that myself.

DeepSeaWolf

• View Profile
Re: Nuts and Bolt sizes
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »
Anyone know the size of OIL SCREEN FILTER?

This is just some of the sizes that I quickly checked yesterday while adjusting my valves. It's definitely not complete yet so if someone else can take some wrenches to their Wolf to fill in the gaps that'd be excellent!

Flywheel: 14 mm
Cam Cover: 8 mm
Valve Cover: 23 mm
Valve adjuster: 10 mm square type
Seat bolts: 13 mm
Shock bolts: 17 mm
Spark plug: 12 mm plug thread wrench needed is 18 mm
Front Wheel: 14 and 19 mm
Caliper mount: 12 mm
Caliper pin: 12 mm
Brake line mount to fork: 10 mm
Fork headset nut: 29 mm
Rear axle: 22 and 29 mm

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:32 AM »
Do you mean the wrench size of the oil screen cover?

The oil screen cover is identical (interchangeable) with the valve cover.

OliOop

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »

New rider here taking a stab at motorcycle maintenance. I put together this simplified maintenance checklist from the recommended service section of the manuals (AlliancePowersports, the owners manual, and the other available online manuals) and with the help of you all, info gathered perusing this forum. It took quite a bit of referencing to deduce some of the info and specs as I found some of it to be contradictory, more-so the manuals than the forum. After assembling the full list (basically what is written in the SYM manual), I removed all routine services I felt were probably unnecessary/ I don't know how to do or things I would possibly make worse. So here's my maintenance list, hope you find it of use. Curious if I am missing anything, I imagine I'll have to do some carb work at some point but at 1400 miles down the road no complaints so far, just smiles. I love this Bike!

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
Welcome !
   Yes, I do all the maintenance on my Wolf, it is an easy bike to keep up.
When you clean the air filter element be sure to get the 2 small filters inside the cover that is held by 1 screw inside the air box.
I wash the filter element (take it out of the metal frame by removing the screw) in kerosene then soap & water - dry thoroughly and apply a SMALL amount of motor oil to the screen and squeeze it gently around in your hand. Be gentle.
I got a "grunge brush" of eBay and brush the chain every 500 miles or so https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Chain-Clean-Brush-Grunge-Brush-Cleaner-Outdoor-Cleaner-Scrubber-Tool-BK/193470750856?hash=item2d0bc16088:g:WRoAAOSwivxewfjY . I then use a small paint brush and some kerosene (not gasoline) to gently wash away any dirt and grime then I use the same paint brush (after wiping it down) to brush on some chainsaw chain & bar oil on the sides and center rollers to lube the "O" rings . Bar oil doesn't sling off too bad and seems to keep the chain in good condition. I still have the original chain and it is in very good condition after nearly 30,000 miles,
  I change my oil about every 1,000 miles and use Rotella T4 (1 liter/US qt) 15w-40.  Rotella T4 is good cheap oil.
I cleaned the oil screen for the first 3-4 oil changes and found no build-up of debris so now I clean the screen each 2-3 oil changes.
The first few thousand miles I greased the clutch cable barrel end up under the lever regularly (often) and it kept the cable from flexing and breaking the cable - I am still on my original clutch cable with no fraying obvious.
   Be sure to allow enough travel on the rear foot brake pedal to trigger the brake light.
   Every time I clean the carburetor jets the bike runs better. Play with the carb metering rod to get the clip in the optimum slot for performance and mileage.
   As you go along you will learn more about the bike and you will enjoy it even better - they are GREAT little bikes. ;)

OliOop

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »
Thanks Papa Bear,
I have found your posts to be really helpful. I recently did an oil change with rotella 15w-40 based on your recommendation in other posts and will be cleaning the air filter soon and really appreciate the advice. My clutch cable made it 1000 miles, I am hoping I can extend this one a bit more than that. I would be more likely to lubricate the cable if I didn't have to remove the clutch lever every time. How do you grease the cable? Is it possible to do without removing the clutch lever?

Mr. OX

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
I have over 10k miles on Wolfie now.
I followed Papa Bearís advice, and I am still using my original clutch cable.
2012 Sym Wolf, 1974 MZ TS250, early 1950s Soviet M72, 1967 Triumph Bonneville, 1971 BMW R75/5, 1978 BMW R100s.

Papa Bear

• Near the Motor City
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
I loosen the clutch cable down on the engine, then I can release it from the clutch lever without removing the lever.
I then feed oil down the cable slowly and it soon begins to drip out the bottom -the cable is well oiled at that point.
I then FILL the clutch lever hole where the cable barrel sits into the lever with grease - pack it full.
Now reinstall the barrel into the lever squishing into the grease.  Reinstall at the engine and adjust the free-play.
Basically I removed and oiled the cable every 5,000 miles but, for the first 10,000 miles, every 500 miles I opened the rubber clutch lever guard and pushed a big glob of grease with my fingertip up under the lever into the cable barrel location without removing the cable, just push it in until it squishes out and then replace the rubber.
The original clutch cable barrels need to be seated, worked and lapped into the lever hole so the metal lever & barrel gets polished from working together. After a while the barrel/lever joint will be well polished and lubed and will not bind up under tension when the lever is pulled - the barrel will easily rotate in the lever and not kink back & forth causing the cable to flex and break .
I now have over 25,000 miles on my Wolf and do an oil & grease pack every 5,000 miles - it's the first 8 or 10 thousand miles that you need the extra grease in just the barrel hole.
I hope my long post makes sense but paying attention to the cable barrel in the beginning will make your cable last a long, long time!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()