Author Topic: Carrying a dog?  (Read 3209 times)

richmintz

• View Profile
    • Rich Mintz
Carrying a dog?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
Any of you have experience carrying a small dog around on the back of a Symba (maybe in a milk crate), in ordinary city riding? Do dogs adjust to that sort of thing or am I talking crazy?

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: Carrying a dog?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
Here in Santa Barbara, there is someone making a "Pooch Pod" - like a dog carrier made for scooters..
I have a few customers who have modified milk crates for their small dogs - they tell me they trained the dogs to ride by taking them in the scoot to somewhere fun for the dog, giving them the idea that riding is fun...
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
The best one Iíve seen locally was a lady who used to put her pig on the scooter floorboards (thatís where dogs usually ride here) and drive it to the park to go for a walk on the grass.  The kicker is that it wasnít a tiny black, pot-bellied pet pig.  It was genuine pork chop and ham material.

Animals seem to enjoy having the wind in their face just as much as humans do.  I've seen lots of dogs that love bike rides. I don't know if they like road rash though, so you have to be pretty careful.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:43:58 PM by campurvis »
Hsinchu City, Taiwan

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 06:06:13 AM »
If you've never seem the Maddie Dog check her out.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989068

Be Big,
AMAC

motox22a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
Depends on the dog...I carried a puppy years ago in my backpack with the top zippered part open...Puppy would stick it's head
through and look all around...
There was a guy years ago who actually used to race desert races here in Nevada that carried his dog with him during the races...He had a piece of carpet attached to the seat/tank in front of him and the dog could grip that...From video I've seen the dog seemed quite happy
with being on the bike...
But with some dogs you'd have to worry about them jumping out and on to the pavement at speed...Just depends..

Here in Santa Barbara, there is someone making a "Pooch Pod" - like a dog carrier made for scooters..
I have a few customers who have modified milk crates for their small dogs - they tell me they trained the dogs to ride by taking them in the scoot to somewhere fun for the dog, giving them the idea that riding is fun...

SymbaWal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
But with some dogs you'd have to worry about them jumping out and on to the pavement at speed...Just depends..

Yes. This exactly. I would never put my dog on my Symba or any other scooter/motorcycle/moped for this reason. He loves trees and bushes, and has a proclivity to leap towards them at any moment. No thanks, leave the dogs at home, or safely transport them in a car.
'10 SYM Symba (light blue)
'06 Tomos Revival
'01 Tomos Targa LX
'77 Garelli SuperSport XL
'72 Honda N600 (the car; 2 cyl. 598cc air-cooled)
(former bikes: '73 Honda CT90, '91 Honda CT70)

AMAC1680

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »

Yes. This exactly. I would never put my dog on my Symba or any other scooter/motorcycle/moped for this reason. He loves trees and bushes, and has a proclivity to leap towards them at any moment. No thanks, leave the dogs at home, or safely transport them in a car.

Unless they know how to ride.

Be Big,
AMAC

goodbella

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »
Just get them accustomed to it and harnessed in so they don't shift your balance  too much. If they're miserable don'tforce it. I know a guy who rides with his golden retriever on the back of his Harley.

Zazu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
I have a great pet carrier on the back of my Symba for my 15 pound dog. Easy to install. Just took off the back seat and strapped it on. Very solidly constructed and works well. Has a harness tie-down inside and a flap on top for him to stick his head out. Also, lots of outside pockets for extra storage. In fact, I leave it on all the time for storage for my helmet, wallet, gloves, etc. Great for holding groceries too. I did a lot of research before buying this and it seemed to have the best reviews. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-Pet-Palace-BLACK/dp/B00514CCXI

If you want, I can email you a photo of my dog in it on the Symba so you can see the scale. I don't have a photo posting account so can't post here, but if you pm me with your email address, I'd be happy to send you the picture.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()