Author Topic: Headlights stop working in driving mode  (Read 5439 times)

furshore

• View Profile
Headlights stop working in driving mode
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
I have a 2009 Citycom 300i.  All of a sudden the low beam lights stopped working.  The lights stay on for a split second after I start the scooter but will not stay on.  The high beam work fine and so do the tail lights and so do the break lights.  The fuses are all good.  Does it sound like a relay going bad?  Any suggestions.

larryg

• View Profile
Re: Headlights stop working in driving mode
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
That happened to me. The dealer replaced both headlight bulbs under warranty and ended the problem
Larry G

furshore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Did your lights also flash in the low beam setting and then go off immediately?

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »
Some time past there where others with the same issue which was a US spec issue. The US spec scoots have no ON/OFF light switch on the righthand handlebar. Our scoots here (rest of world ) have this switch, which enables us to start the scoot with the headlights off. The lights have a control box instead of a simple relay. A relay needs a higher current to switch and a lower (holding) current to keep the contacts closed. Seems like this control box switch with a higher current and then falls back to a lower holding current. The voltage drop when the scoot gets started with it's headlight on is then to much for the holding current to be maintained. This cause it to drop out. When you flick the headlights to hi or low beam or flash the lights the circuit is resetted and the light switch on. I can replicate the "issue" on mine if I start it with the headlight on. I don't know if your problem is the same, but some just live with it and some had the relay replaced under warranty.
Don't know if this helps.
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

stoepsl

• "I illuminate the world with my present."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:48:02 AM »
Some time past there where others with the same issue which was a US spec issue. The US spec scoots have no ON/OFF light switch on the righthand handlebar. Our scoots here (rest of world ) have this switch, which enables us to start the scoot with the headlights off. The lights have a control box instead of a simple relay. A relay needs a higher current to switch and a lower (holding) current to keep the contacts closed. Seems like this control box switch with a higher current and then falls back to a lower holding current. The voltage drop when the scoot gets started with it's headlight on is then to much for the holding current to be maintained. This cause it to drop out. When you flick the headlights to hi or low beam or flash the lights the circuit is resetted and the light switch on. I can replicate the "issue" on mine if I start it with the headlight on. I don't know if your problem is the same, but some just live with it and some had the relay replaced under warranty.
Don't know if this helps.

I think i read about this at the manual. I have only one time the same problem.
And now.... STOP-Lights off.... START-Lights on... No problem!  ;D
I search:

- the sugar at the Coke,
- the hair at the Soup,
- after the Sense of the life,
- and me!

furshore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »
I understand the flicking the light switch after I start the scooter to get the lights on.  I have had this scooter for 1 1/2 years.  When I flick the light switch the lights come on for a second and then go off.  I have been riding with my brights until I get this resolved.

Kiwiscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
I would say it's the control unit that may be faulty. Change your light bulbs out to 55W/60W and see if the problem goes away, you may get and upgrade and a fix in one go perhaps. The light bulbs are just H4 halogen automotive (car) lightbulbs, pretty cheap. I got a set of the new longer projecting ones and they do make a huge difference.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

furshore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
I took your suggestion and replaced the bulbs and that took care of the problem.  In fact I don't have to flash my lights to get them to say on.  It seems they are a little hotter but I really never checked the old bulbs.  I assume that there is no problem with heat with the higher watt bulbs.  Thanks again!  Saved me a 60 mile trip to the dealer.

larryg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
Since I have had my Citycom, the headlights have been an issue. As I posted last year, the dealer had to replace the bulbs within a few week of purchase. Since then, the bright lights usually had to be reset after every start-up. Now, my brights stopped completely. After the shop evaluated the problem ($75 charge) the tech determined I needed a new control unit. Unfortunately, Alliance does not have one in stock and allegedly does not know when/if they will get one. Additionally, the shop does not want to honor the warranty for the controller replacement.

Some other posts on this forum have noted that the low beams have broken. Seems that there is a problem with the basic controller design.

I am concerned since this is a safety issue not just cosmetics. I just hope Alliance gets the controller in soon AND works with the dealer about warranty coverage.
Larry G

Kiwiscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
Hi Larry, does your low beams come on? If they do then I would say it's the control box. If your scoot is out of warranty then it should be a small job for an auto-electrician(if you do not want to do it yourself) to wire two automotive relays into the circuit instead of the control box. I have the factory wiring diagram should you need it. IMHO the scoot does not need the fancy control box.
does your park light come on? if they don't then you may have a blown fuse.
hope you get it sorted
kiwiscoot

Clarrie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:33:27 AM »
Hi, I'm adding this in case someone new like me finds this thread useful. I had this issue and discounted a blown bulb because it "came on for 2 seconds". Turns out that is the other bulb. I replaced the blown bulb and no need for relays or control box to be worked on. This thread was great for pointing me in the right direction. As an aside since about one year old, the headlights don't come on when starting even though "turned on". They did when new. Just have to remember to manually turn the switch off and back on.