Author Topic: Stalls when stopping  (Read 3461 times)

AndyMc

• View Profile
Stalls when stopping
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
All of a sudden my Fiddle has begun stalling every time that I come to a stop.  It sounds each time like when the engine pulls back to idle that it pulls back too far.  My last servicing with oil changes was two months ago.

My biggest problem is that the closest place that services Syms is over 10 miles away and it will be challenging to get there with my stalling issue since it happens every time that I stop.  Once it happens I have to pull on the throttle while starting to get it started again.  The problem started yesterday.  Today I took it for a ride to see if it continued and it did.  After a few times of restarting today, it would not start again until after I had let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Does anybody have any suggestions of common things that may cause this?

Thanks!

fiddlefan

• Me and my scoot have an awesome love affair.
    • View Profile
    • (p)sculptures - recycled plastic art
Re: Stalls when stopping
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
All of a sudden my Fiddle has begun stalling every time that I come to a stop.  It sounds each time like when the engine pulls back to idle that it pulls back too far.  My last servicing with oil changes was two months ago.

My biggest problem is that the closest place that services Syms is over 10 miles away and it will be challenging to get there with my stalling issue since it happens every time that I stop.  Once it happens I have to pull on the throttle while starting to get it started again.  The problem started yesterday.  Today I took it for a ride to see if it continued and it did.  After a few times of restarting today, it would not start again until after I had let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Does anybody have any suggestions of common things that may cause this?

Thanks!

It could be a number of things.  I would start by adjusting your idle speed slightly by turning the idle screw clockwise in 1/4 turn increments.  You can get to the idle screw by removing the service entry panel at the bottom of the underseat storage compartment.  If that doesn't fix the problem, then remove the seat bucket and check your spark plug's condition, then look to see if all the hoses around the engine are connected, not pinched anywhere and in good shape.  You may have some sort of vacuum leak.  Your idle jet in the carb could also be clogged slightly.  Check your air filter too!  You don't necessarily have to take it to a SYM dealer to have this checked.  Any reputable scooter/motorcycle mechanic should be able to assess the problem.  How many miles are on your scooter and has it been sitting around without being cranked for a while?  Also, what grade of fuel have you been using?  Good luck!
SYMANIAC

AndyMc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick response.  Today I finally had an opportunity to go through your suggestions.  I have 1800 miles on my Fiddle II 125 and I always put in the highest grade of fuel when I fill up.

Since it hadn't been run in a couple weeks, it didn't really want to start today.  I have never had to do this before but every time I started it today I had to pull on the throttle while starting.  Once I did get to test drive it for about 10 minutes later on and it seemed to start easier after that.

So I ended up having to turn the idle screw about 3/4 of a turn to get it to the point that it wouldn't stall when it pulled back to idle.  At this far of a turn though it doesn't seem to pull back to idle at all.  I did also look at the spark plug and to my untrained eye it seemed fine.  All of the hoses seemed fine as well as well as the air filter.  I don't know what the idle jet is so I didn't look at that.

When I had the scooter up on the stand and started it, the rear wheel was always turning.  I had never noticed this before but quite honestly had never payed much attention to it.  Is it normal for the wheel to constantly rotate?  I could stop it with the brake of course but would immediately start rotating rapidly again as soon as the brake was released.  When I test drove it, it seemed like when I was stopped that if I released the brake without any throttle that it would still start moving and I had never noticed that before either.

The motorcycle/scooter shop in my city didn't want to service my Sym because they said they don't have access to any Sym parts so they probably wouldn't be able to fix any issues.

fiddlefan

• Me and my scoot have an awesome love affair.
    • View Profile
    • (p)sculptures - recycled plastic art
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the quick response.  Today I finally had an opportunity to go through your suggestions.  I have 1800 miles on my Fiddle II 125 and I always put in the highest grade of fuel when I fill up.

Since it hadn't been run in a couple weeks, it didn't really want to start today.  I have never had to do this before but every time I started it today I had to pull on the throttle while starting.  Once I did get to test drive it for about 10 minutes later on and it seemed to start easier after that.

So I ended up having to turn the idle screw about 3/4 of a turn to get it to the point that it wouldn't stall when it pulled back to idle.  At this far of a turn though it doesn't seem to pull back to idle at all.  I did also look at the spark plug and to my untrained eye it seemed fine.  All of the hoses seemed fine as well as well as the air filter.  I don't know what the idle jet is so I didn't look at that.

When I had the scooter up on the stand and started it, the rear wheel was always turning.  I had never noticed this before but quite honestly had never payed much attention to it.  Is it normal for the wheel to constantly rotate?  I could stop it with the brake of course but would immediately start rotating rapidly again as soon as the brake was released.  When I test drove it, it seemed like when I was stopped that if I released the brake without any throttle that it would still start moving and I had never noticed that before either.

The motorcycle/scooter shop in my city didn't want to service my Sym because they said they don't have access to any Sym parts so they probably wouldn't be able to fix any issues.

You should not have to give your Fiddle any throttle to get it cranked when it's cold, as it has an automatic choke.

Your back wheel should only turn slightly with the scooter up on the center stand.  If it's turning more than slightly, especially with the engine warmed-up good, then turn the idle screw counter clockwise in 1/4 turn increments till the back wheel only turns a little...meaning you should be able to stop the wheel from turning easily, say with your foot, not having to use the rear brake. 

It could be your carburetor needs to be cleaned-out, which a good cleaning will free any tiny trash particles that might be impeding the flow of fuel through the different carburetor jets.  This is a common procedure for bikes that sit for extended periods without taking proper precautions...like using top grade fuel and also adding fuel stabilizer.  It's not really good to leave a bike sitting around too long with fuel the way it is these days...lots of additives and it can go bad quickly.

BTW, a carb cleaning doesn't use any parts, nor does some other basic services, so that scooter shop you took it to won't necessarily need any parts.  They should at least be able to check it out for you though and definitely be able to clean your carb.  THEY MAY NOT NEED ANY PARTS TO FIX IT!!!  Sounds to me like their not a very good shop and just didn't want to mess with it for whatever reason.  They are fools for not at least wanting to check it out for you, so take it somewhere else.  It's their loss!

Anyway, try getting the carb. cleaned-out first and if that doesn't fix it, then move on to the next possible solution.

SYMANIAC