Author Topic: Mio 50 speed restrictors  (Read 15439 times)

fiddlefan

• Me and my scoot have an awesome love affair.
    • View Profile
    • (p)sculptures - recycled plastic art
Mio 50 speed restrictors
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
SYMANIAC

frankiej1949

• View Profile
Re: Mio 50 speed restrictors
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »
Hi Fiddlefan
I am a newbie!!! used to ride scooters years ago, too many. I hired a GTS125i Evo on holiday and enjoyed it so much came back to UK and bought a GTS250i I got a good deal buying a MIO 50cc for my partner too. I was looking at your derestriction article and wondered if it needed rejetting after the mods. Is the variator nut hard to remove and what torque does it need when replacing?
Thanking you in anticipation
Frankiej1949

fiddlefan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
Hi Fiddlefan
I am a newbie!!! used to ride scooters years ago, too many. I hired a GTS125i Evo on holiday and enjoyed it so much came back to UK and bought a GTS250i I got a good deal buying a MIO 50cc for my partner too. I was looking at your derestriction article and wondered if it needed rejetting after the mods. Is the variator nut hard to remove and what torque does it need when replacing?
Thanking you in anticipation
Frankiej1949

frankiej1949,

I did not rejet after removing the restrictors.  I was told it was not necessary with those particular restriction removals.  The variator nut was not hard for me to remove, but I made myself a homemade variator/clutch removal tool a while back that I used.  As far a torque settings for the variator nut, I just tightened it to what I thought was sufficient...tight to the point of not risking stripping the threads.

Enjoy your scooter and good luck with the mods.  It's not too hard at all.
SYMANIAC

frankiej1949

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
Hi Fiddlefan
Thanks for that. Out of curiosity what does your clutch removal tool look like? Any chance of a pic or am I being too cheeky.
By the way whereabouts are you I am in the UK.
Frank

fiddlefan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
Hi Fiddlefan
Thanks for that. Out of curiosity what does your clutch removal tool look like? Any chance of a pic or am I being too cheeky.
By the way whereabouts are you I am in the UK.
Frank

Frank,

No, you're not being too cheeky.  Click-on the link below to see the variator/clutch removal tool, along with a parts list and instructions to make your own:

http://battlescooter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=howto&action=display&thread=2663

I am in the US in the state of North Carolina.

Best of luck!
SYMANIAC

xtcpoppi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
Do you have a copy of the Performance MOD PDF?

fiddlefan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
Do you have a copy of the Performance MOD PDF?

No, I do not.  Sorry.
SYMANIAC

xtcpoppi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »
Thank you for responding. Looking at the picturs of the speed restrictors at the top of this thread, Would I be removing the entire black boot looking thing or just the little portion the arrow is pointing too?

fiddlefan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Thank you for responding. Looking at the picturs of the speed restrictors at the top of this thread, Would I be removing the entire black boot looking thing or just the little portion the arrow is pointing too?

You're welcome.  You remove the entire black "boot looking thing", which on mine was glued-on.
SYMANIAC

xtcpoppi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see if I can get just a little extra out of my MIO. I thought about getting a performance exhaust, http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/sym/sym-mio-50-4t/tecnigas-next-r-pipe-chome-139qmb-kymco-50-4t.html
but then I would have to re-jet and I am not a mechanic.

fiddlefan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait to see if I can get just a little extra out of my MIO. I thought about getting a performance exhaust, http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/sym/sym-mio-50-4t/tecnigas-next-r-pipe-chome-139qmb-kymco-50-4t.html
but then I would have to re-jet and I am not a mechanic.

It'll help, believe me...engine will breathe better, increasing performance.  Have you or someone else removed the speed-restricting ring between the variator halves? If not, that's robbing top speed.

Performance pipes/exhausts usually don't benefit 4-strokes too much, especially for the amount you will spend.  If I were you, I'd look into installing some Dr. Pulley sliding variator weights inside the variator, as opposed to the standard rolling weights.  Google "Dr. Pulley sliding variator weights" to learn more.  Off hand, I do not know the gram weight of a stock Mio 50 roller, but you can probably find that out online somewhere.  Whatever the stock roller gram weight is, if you do decide to order-up so Dr. Pulley sliding variator weights, I wouldn't go down more than a gram in weight to start with.  If you do, you MAY lose some top speed.  Just my two cents, from experience.
SYMANIAC

xtcpoppi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »
I have not removed the variator ring but will do it this weekend. I have also just ordered a new CDI box http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160811718835
I also found a kit on ebay made specificaly for the MIO 50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/400297419290
I decided to not get the kit and start with the things that restrict air along with the CDI box.

xtcpoppi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Checked the airfilter this past weekend. I am surprised the dealer I bought my MIO from didn't put in a new airfilter. It was dirty and black. Like it was in a fireplace. I removed the bean bag looking thing. The boot looking thing was already removed. This weekend I am putting in a racing CDI box with no rev-limiter. Have some other parts on order like an iridium spark plug which cost more than my monthly scooter payment. Should I get a new ignition coil?