Author Topic: So where do I get an air filter for my HD 200?  (Read 4001 times)

amuk

• View Profile
So where do I get an air filter for my HD 200?
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
It's time to replace the air filter in my HD 200.

Scooterlounge.com is out of stock and Carter Bros has none because of their recent fire.

Where can I get one? Or is it time to replace it with a free-flow filter like The Fire Drake has? Any disadvantages to doing the swap? How big, in mm, is the intake in the default carb? If I were to use something like this: http://tinyurl.com/285rmnb would the plastic cover provide enough protection for the filter if I plan to ride my scooter throughout the rainy Eugene, Oregon winters? If I were to remove the stock air cleaner, what should I do with the breather hose that is connected to air cleaner (BTW, what is that small hose for?)?

Thanks much!
-Amuk

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: So where do I get an air filter for my HD 200?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »
Worst case, I think you could buy a large automotive air filter and cut and glue the element into the frame. I considered that myself, but I have two new spares now so that is on the back burner.

Carter was supposed to get in a whole container of parts this week, so do check back with them.

Syd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »
How about checking SYM's US dealer locations and call around.  Maybe someone has one in stock?  http://www.cartersym.com/popups/dealer_locator/sym_locator.html

marco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »
Called my dealer, they have no HD200 air filters in stock. Called Carter 1-800-523-5278  and their parts dept just has a message saying they are not providing parts. Tomorrow I will start calling every SYM dealer on their list. Dang, in this economy I hope they bounce back on their feet in or we will be in the same boat as Chinese scoot owners.
-------
Washington State
2008 Sym HD200
2006 Kymco People 150

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
Use the suction from your vacuum cleaner and suck out the dirt from the outside. Unless it is damp with oil or something, this will work and give you more life in your filter.

The Canadian distributor is supplying parts. Contact ZoomScooters NYC, he can get parts for you.

The Fire Drake

• -------The Fire Drake------- SYM HD200
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of The Fire Drake
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
A better filter would be a cabin air filter. They're a lot easier to alter and are of a finer material, but more expensive. If you want to alter a regular filter, then anything for a non-hybrid 2000+ Toyota Camry should fit.

I'm going to pull my air box out of storage and fiddle with it and see if I can come up with a solution for you guys. Of course I'll post a video too ;)

Hope this helps--Jeff
www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm

SYM HD200 30mm OKO CVK carb, MRP no-rev limit CDI, Bando hi-perf coil, Emgo 48mm free-flow filter, MRP GY6 Type 2 stainless steel exhaust & muffler, Full LED conversion & markers, ENM tach and 100 watt amp/speakers.
Xingyue XY150T 8 (Tank Racer DS-08)

leo.urbis

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
Jeff & Others,

Can you recommend an alternate air intake system for the HD200 that would require a minimal amount of work?  Preferably something that you can refresh like oiled foam or fabric filter.

I know it's likely a long shot, but I was hoping for something an air filter that wouldn't force me to change the jets in my carb.

The Fire Drake

• -------The Fire Drake------- SYM HD200
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of The Fire Drake
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
I'm working on a cheap solution as we speak without having to remove the airbox assembly. Seriously, removing the airbox is very complicated and there is a lot of vacuum lines, vents and emissions that need to be removed, changed or re-routed...

As for the oiled-type permanent filters, the can cause big issues with fuel injected models' sensors but carbed models will be fine :)

Tip--- NEVER use a oil "soaked" filter on a car unless you race it. One of those on your everyday driver will eventually wreak havoc on several sensors including the MAF, IAT and more...

Stay Tuned--Jeff
www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm

SYM HD200 30mm OKO CVK carb, MRP no-rev limit CDI, Bando hi-perf coil, Emgo 48mm free-flow filter, MRP GY6 Type 2 stainless steel exhaust & muffler, Full LED conversion & markers, ENM tach and 100 watt amp/speakers.
Xingyue XY150T 8 (Tank Racer DS-08)

leo.urbis

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
Seriously, removing the airbox is very complicated and there is a lot of vacuum lines, vents and emissions that need to be removed, changed or re-routed...

This was my biggest concern.  I'm happy to hear that you're working on a fix.

marco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted everyone to know that you can buy the HD200 air filter online at

http://store.cambriangokarts.com/store/product/10958/HD200-Air-Filter-Element/

I called to verify and they confirmed they are in stock and noted that they just got them in.

With UPS shipping to my area it was about $36.

They are in California so I should have it in a few days. Also it was nice that you can order without setting up an account.

Side note: I just got nabbed by the state patrol for 66 in a 45, probably lucky my original air filter is limiting my top speed as I had it wide open  ;D

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:24:49 PM by marco »
-------
Washington State
2008 Sym HD200
2006 Kymco People 150

artboyor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Yeah i got an air filter for my hd200 from these guys. It arrived quickly.

steve_rolfeca

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
Another caution about replacing the airbox, is that sock filters raise the noise level by a surprisingly large degree, and don't provide nearly as good a dry, smooth airflow as the stock snorkel, assuming that you're an all-weather rider.

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
Yup, I need a new air filter, too.  I guess I could order one,  but $36 still seems a little steep.  The stock filter looks suspiciously like your standard lawn mower filter.  I'd have to guess that anything that works in a lawnmower's dusty environment would probably work well on our HD 200s, if it could be made to fit well.  Wouldn't it be great to find something at Home Depot's outdoor equipment section that would drop right in?

Any progress to report on your experimentation, Fire Drake?

Speaking of air cleaner's, I have been riding in a dusty environment in Arizona this winter, every day a few miles on a dirt road.  I have noticed that the dust swirls up from the front tire and is thrown high enough to enter the bottom air intake hole on the air box.  If this only meant I had to pull out the air cleaner and blow it clean with compressed air, no big deal.  However, I consistently notice a fine film of dust behind  the filter -- Not Good, of course.  The filter seems snugly installed in the plastic disc, but why isn't there a seal between this disc and the airbox housing?

Barnone

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
Hard to tell when to change an air filter. Just because it is dirty on the outside, no, I don't think so. If you monitor your MPG and performance in a valid way, maybe that will work as a  way to judge if your air filter needs changing.

Northpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »
Barnone --- if your post is referring to mine, let me clarify my somewhat imprecise description... the fine film of dirt is on the inside, that is, getting around, or going thru the filter.