Author Topic: Changing Tire on Symba  (Read 5827 times)

Retro Moto

• View Profile
Re: Changing Tire on Symba
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
2015 Symba

Retro Moto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »
2015 Symba

jfare

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
Hi, I have got a flat rear tire today, but I'm confused, even after reading through almost all posts concerning flat tires, I still don't know if it the inner tube that needs change or both tire and tube.

My Symba has over 1300 miles on it, and the  tire looks good and pretty new to me.

The SYM distributor is too far away for me to bring my Symba for them to replace it. There is a scooter place in my city, where they fix motorcycles too, but when I called, they told me they don't service Symba (not sure if it is true as I sent there for oil change before) – I guess maybe they don't do service for Symba tire. Anyhow, I am planning to order tire or inner tube (or both) online first, and approach them again for labor work.

jfare

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:46 PM »
Hi Goodbella, do you have the part number of your Kenda Tuff tubes size 70/100-17, 2.25/2.5?
I don’t see size for "70/100-17, 2.25/2.5” listed together for Tuff Tube on Motorcycle Superstore. Under the Size options, It has only

2.50/2.75-10
2.50-12
……..
……..
70/100-17
and so on

Do I choose "70/100-17”?

redridinghood

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
The first number (70) means 70mm width. There's 25.4mm in an inch and doing the math 70mm = 2.76 inches. Sounds like the correct size tube.

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Yes, you want size 70/100-17 in the Kenda Tuff tubes. They'll say size 2.25/2.5-17 on the box. I've purchased those for my Symba, and they fit fine.

If you tire is good, then you only need to change out the tube, which only requires taking one side of the tire off of the rim. Before you put the new tube in, though, make sure you check both the inside and outside of tire in case something punctured it. Run a cloth or something along the inside of the tire so anything sharp will catch that instead of your hand.

Changing the tubes and tires takes practice and patience. What's nice about the Symba is that you can work the tire most of the way on by hand, which reduces the risk of pinching the new tube (order an extra tube just in case). Before putting in the new tube, inflate it a little to give it some shape, that will help. A good rule of thumb is to then balance it on your finger - you want enough air so that your finger will rest about halfway up the tube, if that makes sense.

It seems odd to me that your local scooter place wouldn't change the tube at all. If you take them the wheel and the new tube, it should be a pretty easy job for them. Unless, maybe, they don't do tubed tires?
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110

jfare

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 11:56:03 PM »
Hi Beltho,  thank you very much!!!!
I see that Amazon has it too and shipping would be faster with ground. It says "Kenda Tuff Tube 70/100-17 Tr-4". Could you kindly confirm it is the right one.
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Tuff-Tube-100-17-Tr-4/dp/B002GJNTB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497504887&sr=8-2&keywords=kenda+tuff+tube

Changing the tire myself really is the last resort for me. I watched the youtube video listed in this thread, it is just too daunting. So this morning I paid a visit to the scooter place, and was told that they can't  service it anymore because they have become the sole distributor for Lance scooter and the contract prevents them serving other brands, even if it is just labor work. Disappointed, I approached the mechanic who was working at the parking lot of the store if he does side job. He told me if people ask he would do it. What a relief!

beltho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 04:15:17 PM »
That certainly looks to be the correct tube. I'm glad that you found someone willing to put in the new tube. It's strange to me that they won't work on SYMs when they are a Lance dealer - SYM builds the Lance scooters, as I understand it.

The tire changing process can be a little daunting at first; it was for me. Watching a video does help and, like I said, practice does too. :-) I recently had to put a new rear tire on my Symba, plus I had to change both tires on a Honda CT I'm working on, so I'm definitely getting some practice in!
Atlantic Beach, FL
2012 SYM Symba
2009 Kymco People 150
1983 Honda CT 110

jfare

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
So trying to get the inner tube has been a very frustrating bumpy ride. I bought the "70/100-17" one on Amazon but the shipping gone wrong – it arrived but USPS was unable to deliver (likely due to the wrong address the sender entered) and was sent back to sender.

Today, I tried to purchase it on Ebay. Asked the question whether the size is for "for size 2.25/2.5-17".

Seller said "70/100 converts to 2.75/3.00. If you need 2.25/2.50 you need size 60/100".

Now I am completely at a loss. Since the original SYM tire is still in good condition (less than 1500 miles on it) I intend not to change the tire but the inner tube only. According to the Owner's Manual, the tire is "2.50 - 17 -38L", which correct size should I get?