Author Topic: My First Problem  (Read 10898 times)

GaryL

• View Profile
Re: My First Problem
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »
Sorry about that Mike.  Yours is the first serious problem I've heard about with a SYM.  Glad your dealer is handling it.
Gary
Sym RV-250 - Silver w/Orange Trim - 9,000 miles.
Bali 250 Chinascoot - Bright Yellow - 16,000 miles

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
Sorry to hear of your problem, Mike T.

Sad to report, it's also a problem with the 250i EVOs here in Malaysia: the gearbox gasket goes bad and leaks ... but quite a bit later (in mileage) - about 6,000km.

Hope CVT Rider's babies won't face that problem ... An easily fixed gasket replacement really, but it's still a disappointment. Perhaps a bad batch of gaskets?

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Since it's been almost a week since my rv250 has been in the shop, I decided to email them last night. Today my wife got a call, and was told that the gear bolt may have been stripped when they put it back in at the first service. It seemed like gear oil was coming out when the case got hot and the bolt was loosening.

They had to replace a gear that was damaged, and plan on retreading the hole and fitting a larger bolt. I used to work on the SR-71 and U-2 spy planes while in the Air Force, and asked them if they could install a safety wire bolt, and safety wire that puppy down.

It was nice to know that it wasn't a factory defect, so I wanted to pass that one. It might be wise to check your fittings after a service for your own safety. :P

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 11:53:53 PM »
But it still sucks to know that the gear oil filler bolt was messed up during what's supposed to be a very simple procedure :'(

I honestly cannot, for the life of me, understand how a simple bolt-on/bolt-off job done hundreds, if not thousands of times by a so-called motorcycle mechanic can be ever botched ... even my 9 year-old kiddo has never messed up any threads messing with his toys! (Yeah he's handy with a screwdriver and a wrench on his toys since he was 4, LOL.)

Anyway, good to know that it's being fixed, Mikey T. Happy and safe rides ahead!

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »
I got back from vacation this week, and was finally able to pick up my 250 after a one month sit at the shop. My local shop has put a part on order that they still want to replace, a drive gear I believe, but there is not ETA on the part. So in the mean time I will enjoy the summer a drive it just the same.

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »
I can't believe it! Just days after getting my 250 back, I go to open the trunk, and the seat rod disconnects! I found the washer, but no signs of a carter pin. Most likely they disconnected it to work on the bike, then didn't bother to reconnect it. Now my "Open Trunk" light is on when the seat is closed. This is getting frustrating! I found one switch at the front of the seat, but it doesn't have anything to hit that plunger. I looked all over and couldn't find anything.

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »
That don't sound right, Mike T ...

Getting the drive gear or whatever's supposedly needed to be fixed on your RV does not - I repeat, does not entail removing any part of the seat hinge strut. There is absolutely no need for that, even if one has to get to the engine bay by removing the entire underseat storage compartment - cos the whole assembly will come off with the seat, strut and all intact - just by removing 6 nuts (plus disconnecting the SEAT OPEN switch and the courtesy light connectors.)

It sounds like your bike has been pilfered for its parts >:(

If I were you, I'd be storming back to the shop and demanding for the missing parts right now ...

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
I have a feeling that they had most of my bike apart just to clean it when the oil drain plug got loose. With less than 1,000 miles on it I really haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet. At least the shop owned up to leaving the carter pin out, and fixed everything for free.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
I know I wouldn't be going back to that shop again after you get every screwed up thing they did, straightened out.

I don't have tools for every job to do on my bike but I will do my own work when I do have the tools. I have a place to have my tires changed and I have a friend who has an impact wrench. I'll go over there to use it when I need it.

Where I had purchased my Scoot they had a shop to take your scoot ... they did poor work, missing parts, put together wrong, .....  so I never took it there again.
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles

steveduhl

• View Profile
SPEEDO RESET
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I was glad to find it.   About 1,200 miles and 6 weeks after I purchased my 07 RV250....the odometer reset itself at a little over 6,800 miles.   My first (only?) problem.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
Re: SPEEDO RESET
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I was glad to find it.   About 1,200 miles and 6 weeks after I purchased my 07 RV250....the odometer reset itself at a little over 6,800 miles.   My first (only?) problem.

Yes, the only thing that is an issue is the ODO. My other issue now is a brake light issue. I have had my RV250 since 2008 and still runs strong. Just keep up with the maintenance.
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles