Author Topic: My First Problem  (Read 10873 times)

GaryL

• View Profile
My First Problem
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Experienced my first problem on the RV-250.  The odometer just reset itself to zero.  Everything else electrical seems to be OK. Im a little bummed - I thought the scoot was invincible.  On the other hand I suppose I should be happy that my scoot just got 7,000 miles "younger."
Gary
Sym RV-250 - Silver w/Orange Trim - 9,000 miles.
Bali 250 Chinascoot - Bright Yellow - 16,000 miles

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
Re: My First Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »
Gary, Sorry to hear that!
I had the same thing happen to me at 6500 miles.
The place where I purchased the scoot replaced the cluster and it set it back to zero again. So my scoot is about 8880 younger now. I now have 5500 miles on the new cluster so I will wonder if this one will go back to zero.
So far SYM does not have the technology to set the cluster (ODO) to the correct miles.
I keep track of my miles with the trip distance every fill up I add my trip then reset my trip till the next fill.
My true miles is around 14,500 miles.

I have had 3 minor problems with mine.
-ODO going back to zero.
-LED angel lights around the high beam burning out 2 at a time. Probably shorting out. Now replaced.
-Scoot would not start at all when pressing the starter button. I just never use the kill switch anymore. I have read somewhere where the kill switch can cause that problem. Never figured out that problem. It has only happened twice.
If you notice all is electrical issues and I do keep mine out in the weather. 9 months out of the year.
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »
Bummer, Gary :( Sorry to hear of that, and it ruining your idea of a perfect scooter.

Truth be told, all bikes from all manufacturers have their own idiosyncrasies ... we are lucky we aren't on the early Ducatis or Royal Enfields :P

Here's the thing with SYM scooters (I've owned several of them, actually ... had them since '04 in Malaysia): The electronic instrumentation - especially the LCD-based odo - usually crap out or "lose their minds", mainly due to loose/improper/bad power connections with the battery. They "short-out" and perform a hard reset on the scooter's instrumentation. So, you (and anyone else with a SYM scooter, for that matter) might wanna check those terminals and clean/grease 'em up to prevent an occurrence/re-occurrence.

The SYM LCD and electronics in general are real sensitive to minute current mishaps, so I have this lil routine before I hit the starter button OR stab at the kick-starter (if any) on all my SYM scooters:

• I'll turn off whatever lights that might be on (headlamps, driving lights, fog lamps, hazard lights, turn signals, any auxillaries including anything off the aux power socket/s, etc) to ensure maximum Amps get to the starter solenoid.
  • I'll wait for the instrumentation to finish with its diagnostic checks (full-sweep of speedo/tach needles; all warning lights off.)
  • I'll make sure the said instrumentation DOES power on and successfully performs the self-diagnostics -- because kick-starting a SYM scooter without or with a dead battery wired on is a sure recipe for electronics disaster. In fact, there's a clear warning of this in every SYM scooter's dealer/shop service manual (not our owner's manual, which I think is just plain wrong and irresponsible.)

Mike, on your perceived problem with the kill switch. It has rarely or ever been that with oh, about a 100 of SYM scooters I personally know of. The single biggest culprit for non-starts ... is a sticky brake light switch on the brake levers OR the safety kick stand switch. Usually nothing a squirt of WD-40 wouldn't fix :) They rarely go bad; but a good preventive measure is to give the switches a good squirt every now and then, especially before storing the scooter away for the winter ... more so since you keep your RV out and exposed to the elements most of the year.

Hope all that helps; cheers and keep on riding!

tispectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
"because kick-starting a SYM scooter "

The RV-250 has no kick start.
Herb-tispectrum@gmail.com                                                ~ knife and watch collector ~
           bike rider
 Aprilia, Kymco, & Sym Scooters

GaryL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »
Thanks for the info UB.

It is interesting that the odometer on Mike's and my scoot reset about the same time; his at 6,500 miles, mine at 6,800.

Gary
Sym RV-250 - Silver w/Orange Trim - 9,000 miles.
Bali 250 Chinascoot - Bright Yellow - 16,000 miles

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »
Always happy to share whatever information I have on our rides, Gary :)

Yeah; i know about that "coincidental" odo thing on yours and Mike's  ...

It might be even more interesting for you to note that in Malaysia -- all SYM scooters have a 1-year or 10,000km warranty (whichever comes earlier) ... and 10,000km is roughly 6,200mi ::)

To say that "a couple" of us SYM owners here that have been bummed out by this "coincidence" ... is definitely a huge understatement :(

"because kick-starting a SYM scooter "

The RV-250 has no kick start.

I know that :) If you were to scroll up a wee bit before that sentence you quoted ...

Quote from: Uncle Burger
The SYM LCD and electronics in general are real sensitive to minute current mishaps, so I have this lil routine before I hit the starter button OR stab at the kick-starter (if any) on all my SYM scooters:

:)

Safe riding, everyone!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:27:03 PM by Uncle Burger »

tispectrum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
Sorry, missed the"if any" >:(
Herb-tispectrum@gmail.com                                                ~ knife and watch collector ~
           bike rider
 Aprilia, Kymco, & Sym Scooters

Barnone

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
Bummer, Gary :( Sorry to hear of that, and it ruining your idea of a perfect scooter.

Here's the thing with SYM scooters (I've owned several of them, actually ... had them since '04 in Malaysia): The electronic instrumentation - especially the LCD-based odo - usually crap out or "lose their minds", mainly due to loose/improper/bad power connections with the battery. They "short-out" and perform a hard reset on the scooter's instrumentation. So, you (and anyone else with a SYM scooter, for that matter) might wanna check those terminals and clean/grease 'em up to prevent an occurrence/re-occurrence.

Hope all that helps; cheers and keep on riding!
UB,
So if you disconnect the battery the odometer resets to zero? 

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
Barnone,

Nope. The instrument cluster has a built-in, non-user replaceable, small lithium battery inside that feeds the minimum of power to retain the odo/trip readings, clock, and settings. It is recharged every time the scooter starts up.

What happens is, an improper/bad/loose battery connection coupled with strong initial pulses from the reg/rec when starting the engine, creates a somewhat "dirty" current flow to the instrument cluster. The IC's - particularly of the LCD's - don't take this very well, and they sorta go nuts ... and hard reset :P

jim63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »
Congrats on the "new" scooter Gary. The resetting ODO seems to be commom problem. It maybe annoying but it is better than a true mechanical or electrical failure that effects the operation of the scooter. I just replaced my headlight again last week, this one lasted 5000 miles.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
Well, I'm thinking if the "new" ODO they put in goes back to zero around 6000 to 7000 again (which its at around 5500 now). I will have a new scoot again!! ;D :D 8) ;)

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »
I just replaced my headlight again last week, this one lasted 5000 miles.
Are your headlights burning out? Or are you replacing the headlight assembly?
Burning out headlights, I replace with a blue tip type that last longer.

javi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 01:18:56 AM »
Out of interest does the odo resetting issue cause problems when selling/ servicing the scoot? I'm assuming that there's no way to restore the correct reading meaning that you'd have an issue tracking how many miles it's done?

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
Out of interest does the odo resetting issue cause problems when selling/ servicing the scoot? I'm assuming that there's no way to restore the correct reading meaning that you'd have an issue tracking how many miles it's done?
I write down my miles from my trip distance on every gas fill up then I reset the trip till the next gas fill. So when I lost my ODO reading I still had the trip distance. I add those miles now to the ODO actual miles.
I was told sometime they will have something to fix the miles on the ODO, I just have to wait!
I'm not sure it causing problems with servicing since I service my own scoot. I would think it would be a plus selling it with lower miles! ;D

mike troiano

• View Profile
    • miketroiano.com
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »
I just had my first problem in a major way!

I have a little over 800 miles on my scoot right now. I reported a gear oil leak to my place of purchase before, but after not seeing it again I figured it was a mystery leak. Well today that same shop sponsored a ride, and at the end of the ride, a fellow rider told me that I had lost a license plate bolt. When we finished the ride I went to check it out, and wondered why my license plate was all spotted (since I just washed and waxed my baby this week). I grabbed my plate and got a handful of gear oil. YUCK!~  :P

The shop owner checked it out and told me that the final gear case is leaking. He will have a SYM rep take a look at it asap.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?