Author Topic: Two More Sym Riders...  (Read 7604 times)

CvtRider

• View Profile
Two More Sym Riders...
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »
Greetings,  :)

Another enthusiast just joined the ranks here after getting the Sym fever from my fiancee. She lives in Malaysia, where these bikes enjoy a very well respected status due to their quality, versatility and style.

Honestly, I have never ridden a scooter before - mostly hammering the US roads with a larger, 4 cylinder motorcycle, but I have to say that now I am hooked on these maxis. Just one test ride on a Sym at a small dealership in her hometown last November had won my heart over so much that in the same afternoon we had acquired a second-hand (3 months old) Sym VTS/GTS 200
SYM GTS 250i EVO

Ronnie Ventura

• (formerly Uncle Burger)
    • View Profile
Re: Two More Sym Riders...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »
Hello there CVT Rider n fiancee :) I'm in the state of Perak, Malaysia and currently ride a VTS200. Glad to know of someone in this forum that has similar links to the land ... and bitten by the SYMbug ;D

When is your next trip over here? Maybe we could meet up and I could introduce you to some of the local SYM owners; maybe go for a couple of rides ... That is, if you haven't already know them. Otherwise - let's get scoo-touring! ;D

CvtRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »
Hello Uncle Burger! Welcome! :)

Yes, we love Syms and planning on getting another GTS EVO 250i as now we are starting to "fight" over who is riding the maxi scooter :)

I am heading back to Penang middle next month (May) and would be honored to meet with you and other Sym owners. We are also planning on joining the SYM Malaysia Bikers Club and maybe we can go on tours with them too!

Please keep in touch as Perak is not far from us so I am sure that we can definitely take a ride down to Ipoh or some other place of choice.

Welcome again and keep in touch!
SYM GTS 250i EVO

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:16:39 AM »
Hey that's only a couple of weeks away - hope to catch you soon after you arrive! After some quality time with the to-be-missus ... we understand ;)

Yeah; best be getting another Evo if you guys plan on riding more whenever you come around. Although both the VTS and the Evo are perfectly capable 2-up on Malaysia's roads and hills ... they are best ridden solo. Well come to think of it ... any 2-wheeler is best ridden solo, LOL ...

DO join SMBC when you get here. They organize rides quite frequently throughout Malaysia. In fact, the bunch are in Penang as we type here ... Penang is where the most of the first SMBC members, and is the official base of the club. Makes sense since MFORCE Holdings (the official SYM distributor/assembler) has its assembly plant on mainland Penang.

I however, am not a member of any motorcycling club per se, save one: Eleganets. Been there for a good number of years ... but am not active in there anymore. Long story, LOL ... Am pretty much an "independent" biker now, if there's such a designation :P Malaysians in general have a fetish for clubs, affiliations, and whatnots ...

I just started a freelance bike travel business, and am busy mapping out packages for self-ride tour-cruises. You can get more info on what I'm up to at my Facebook-only Ron's Bike Travel site -- do add me up there.

Looking forward to riding with you and your missus soon!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:20:03 AM by Uncle Burger »

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »
Welcome to the SYMbug. lol!
I got hooked on a SYM back in 2008 when prices for gas went way up. Looked and shopped around for different kinds of scooters and decided on the SYM RV250. Since it was gonna be my first ever motor bike I wanted something not too small and not too big. I'm a big fella 6'3" 260lbs. The RV250 fits me perfect and has enjoyed the ride.
Here are a few pics of my scoot. .... If you notice I switch windshields from season to season. Also these pics are taken in the Cincinnati Ohio area.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:27:31 PM by SYMmike »
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles

CvtRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
That is a very nice ride, SYMmike!

And looks like that around Cincinnati there are lots of scenic roads to scoot around on. Until I got to know the Sym maxis, I was weary about getting a scooter as I did not know how they handle the long distances we have to deal with in the US. Now I am totally convinced about their touring capabilities so some day (once I am back in the States for more than a months at a time :) ) I will get me one.

SYMmike,
How big is the top box on your bike? Is that a 35 liter or a 45l one? Does it affect the handling of the bike much?

Thanks again for the nice pics!

CVT Rider
SYM GTS 250i EVO

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:59:44 PM »
SYMmike,
How big is the top box on your bike? Is that a 35 liter or a 45l one? Does it affect the handling of the bike much?

Thanks again for the nice pics!

CVT Rider
Thanks!
My topcase is a mid size one. Not sure of the liter size. I have not noticed any handling differences with the topcase. I do not put much wieght in the topcase, most of the wieght goes under the seat. or bungie corded to the top of the back seat part.

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:31:43 AM »
Mike got the use of a topbox right on there, CvtRider :) I hardly put anything in the topbox while on the move, either. If anything, it's lightweight like my waistbag and a small bottle of water. I reserve its secure space for my riding jacket, gloves, and helmet during stops. The heavy stuff go under the seat -- cable lock, rainsuit, reflective safety vest, rain gloves & boot covers. Oh, a foot-operated tire pump and tire plugs on extended rides, too.

If you hadn't notice by now, most, if not all SYM VTS/Evo owners in Malaysia stick a topbox on their rides. The far most common size is 45/46L, depending on which brand you go for. The GIVI is 45; the Kappa is a 46. Both will sit on the GIVI HR3 MonoRack. My setup is Kappa 46 on GIVI HR3 rack. Perfect setup for 2-up riding: the Kappa 46 will swallow 2 full-face helmets with gloves inside, and room to spare for a jacket or maybe even two.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
My topcase (Givi) only has room for 1 full faced helmet and a light jacket. I use it the same way U.B.

Some people who are clueless about scoots and stuff ask me about my topcase and I joke around with them that it is a Coleman grill I like to carry around with me on long trips incase I get hungry I'll pull out some burgers and grill them up! ;D :D They are like ..  ???
Its funny.

CvtRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:28:45 AM »
LOL :)

Thanks much for the replies UB and SYMmike!

Looks like that both, the 30/35 liter (guessing from SYMmike's description) and the 45/46l boxes are easy to handle on these bikes. Knowing this, I am going to get me one too as I really like that extra storage space for the helmet, gloves, etc, as I too like to carry some tools and tire repair kits with me under the seat.

UB,
Do you have any issues squeezing through a jam with the 46l box? Sometimes in Penang I have to fold in both mirrors on our GTS in order to follow the small Honda EX5 "convoy" between two buses at the traffic light so I would like to get a box that does not stick out too far on the sides :). I am sure you had run into this situation before too :) LOL

Thanks much again!

CVT Rider
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:32:01 AM by CvtRider »
SYM GTS 250i EVO

Ronnie Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
The width of my Kappa 46L topcase is exactly the width of the VTS200 handlebar ... so no problems lane-splitting thru traffic :) You'll have to be careful of its height and extra length added onto your Evo/s, though. I've heard and seen owners knocking their topcases right off the scooter while weaving through trucks and other high-tailgate vehicles.

By the way ... have you noticed that Malaysians tend to refer to our SYM's as "big bikes"? It's way too big to be a "scooter" ... and too small to be called a "superbike" ... LOL. We are "ranked" amongst the Harleys and the Gold Wings here!

Nobody questions me when I park my VTS200 right on the doorstep of any 5-star establishment ;D

CvtRider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »
UB,

LOL! Thanks for the reply! :)

After I get the new scooter, I will head over to the local Givi shop to get the frame and the top box!

And yes, I will be very careful then before making sharp turns between tall vehicles in tight traffic!  ;)

On a different note: you are right on when you said that these are considered "big bikes"! I was first very surprised about it but now I am used to these facts. Also noticed that even when the police put up a full bike checkpoint in Penang we don't get pulled over - just like other "big bikes". I always start to slow down when they block the road, but then all the Sym's get waived through without having to stop ;D.

Thanks again, UB, see you soon somewhere in Malaysia!
SYM GTS 250i EVO