Author Topic: Symba bench seat installation  (Read 6853 times)

jadajazz

• View Profile
Symba bench seat installation
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:45:38 AM »
I bought a Sym Symba 101cc scooter a few weeks ago, and ordered a bench seat for it. The seat and hardware came without instructions, and I'm tearing my hair out.

It appears to be a problem with the brackets. Does anyone know how this installation is supposed to work? I'm contacting the distributor next week. In the meantime, any advice?

Photos would be super nice too, especially of the bracket installation
Thanks!

Morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Symba bench seat installation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Here are some pics of the assembled latch section. Let me know if you need any more shots. Also, be sure to move the pair of round rubber stoppers that are on the bottom of the seat near the back to the set of holes all the way back. Otherwise the bolts sticking down underneath will rub on the gas tank. (See this thread: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=500.msg2197#msg2197)

jadajazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
Morgan,
Thanks so much for helping me out with this. The problem appears to be the way I'm installing the 2 horizontal black brackets under the seat. I'm unable to figure out exactly how to position them so that they latch onto the bracket, which, according to the photos you posted, I've installed correctly.

It would be extremely helpful to me if you could post photos of the underside of your seat, with all hardware installed, since this is the area I'm having such difficulty with.

Thanks again, Morgan.
Kim
(jadajazz)

Morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
See if these help...

marty.black

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
Morgan,

Thanks so much for the help.  My seat now fits and latches!!  I had the front bracket on wrong, your pics did the trick.  My name is Marty and it's my bike that Kim was writing to you about.  I've now joined the forum.  Again, thank you.  I wish I could take you out for a beer.

Marty

xxxilf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Can the bench seat be ordered online? I appreciate & will follow the instructions -- just need the seat to mod my ride.

marty.black

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
Yes, you can order the bench seat online at 1-334-735-2301 or 1-800-523-5278.  You'll need to specify color of black, brown or cow print.  Cost is 179.00 plus shipping.  Down load the catalog at www.sym-usa.com  The bench seat lacks in padding and comes with no instructions for installation but you can see the pictures on this site (symforum.com)  Hope this helps.  I do like the bench seat as I got more seat and leg room.  Sadly, I'm going to sell my Symba because I injured my left knee at work and shifting is still painful.  It only has 53.5 miles. 

Marty

Kriddle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
This is not the same seat sent by SYM now. Judging by the pics, the new seat is less substantial. The rear bracket is just a sheet metal clip designed to connect with the same sort of clips on the stock passenger cushion. It all works fine once it is installed, and the price was ten dollars less than the $299 I was told of at the time I bought my Symba. To make the seat fit I reversed the front hinge 180 degrees, and had to pursuade the rear bracket to accept the clips by carefully rapping it with a rubber mallet (the 90 degree angles became more "Z" shaped). Without these changes it would have been very difficult to lift the seat enought to get a clear space to fill the tank. It is all good and I enjoy extra room.