Author Topic: some ???s about the symba  (Read 3468 times)

DaBinChe

• View Profile
some ???s about the symba
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
What is your mpg? How many miles per tank?

How many miles are your tires lasting? rider weight?

Does the bench seat and Carter made rear rack fit together?

What is the carrying capacity/weight limit of the front rack and hard side case?

DetroitSymCity

• View Profile
Re: some ???s about the symba
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
Hi DaBinChe.  Nice to see a familiar name over here from TR.

I have nearly 600 miles on mine and have been tracking the mileage from the very beginning.
It has held a steady 100 mpg with normal use during the break in period. My average cruising speed is 45 mph.

So far the rear tire is holding up well, but the stock front is awful.  The tread pattern is a set of grooved straight lines around the tire and it tends to follow cracks in the road as you ride.  Annoying.  My friend and I have already bought replacements for the front that nearly match the rear and they handle noticeably better.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/11893/ITEM/Michelin-Gazelle-M62-Moped-Tire.aspx

I have the bench seat but not the cargo rack. I am unsure if they if they will work together.

Storage is definitely a problem.  I am used to having at least someplace on the scooter to stash a few items.  The Symba has nothing unless you add to it.  I am not really interested in the hard or soft side bags, but I have to find something.

Hope this helps.

mattfrac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
Also a little about the bench seat..   It is pretty poor quality IMO.   
1.  There is not enough support feet, so if you sit in the middle of the seat, it bends over time.  You need to add more or stick something under the seat.

2.  The bolts that hold in one of the seat brackets need to be cut down after installing or it will make contact with the gas tank and wear away the paint.

3.  Not very comfortable after riding a long time as they were stingy on the padding.  We are considering trying to add more foam.

Does anyone know if the Honda Cub bench seats will fit the symba?    They show up new on ebay from time to time.

Morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
I also noticed the bolts rubbing on the top of the tank. (And the bottom of the seat itself is wearing on the little back protrusion that the fuel vapor tube connects to.) I found an easy fix though. The reason it's all rubbing is because none of the round back rubber stoppers on the bottom of the seat are making contact with anything. If you move the two stoppers that are near the back, from the holes they come in, to the set of holes a few inches farther back, they'll rest on top of the flat part of the latch assembly. It's really easy. Just give 'em a pull from one side and they'll pop right out. (There's no way to make the front stoppers rest on anything. They'd have to be made quite a bit thicker.)

After doing this, I found I had to apply a little pressure on the back end of the seat while latching it. But other than that, it's perfect. What little wiggle there was in the seat is gone, and no more bolts wearing on the tank top.

If anyone from Carter is reading this (or if anyone has a contact there they could talk to) I'd highly suggest moving the back stoppers as described by default.

mattfrac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »
Thanks Morgan,
   I moved the feet back and it made a big differance.

campurvis

• www.scooterseals.com
    • View Profile
    • www.scooterseals.com
30,000 km on a symba
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:57:07 PM »
I have 30,000 km on one of these.  I use it for commuting to work in dense urban traffic.  I bought it new about five years ago for approx. $1300 all taxes, etc. included. (Now they are about $2,000 here).  I spend about $3 a week on gas.

The ribbed front tire hunts and finds every ripple and imperfection in the pavement.  I threw it away and replaced it with an appropriate block tread design.

I live in Taiwan.  It is hot here and exceptionally humid--which means wheel rims rust easily.  One maintenance must is to check the rubber dampers  in the rear hub every time you replace the rear brake shoes.  Dampers are cheap.  Once they wear too much you will notice a MAJOR clunk when shifting.  Change the dampers as required or you will destroy the inside of the rear hub and your repair expenses will soar.

These are cheap, little urban commuters.  Wash them.  Wax them.  Change the engine oil.  Do basic maintenance.  Fix little things as they occur and they will last quite a while.

Cam Purvis
Hsinchu, Taiwan

Hsinchu City, Taiwan