Author Topic: Tuned Jet Euro  (Read 12321 times)

dirtyd

• View Profile
Tuned Jet Euro
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
Hi,
  My name is Daniel, and I'd like to share the story of my Jet Euro.

I got my Jet earlier this year and man was it slow!  It would go only thirty five and sometimes get to forty, and it was very slow to get there.  I decided to get my mechanic to check change the port timings, and I bought a Next R exhaust to go on it as well.   
  Before I bought the Next R, my mechanic helped me find out what types of exhausts fit this scooter, because there is no information out there about the Jet Euro.  We pulled the stock exhaust off and amazingly enough, a stock Super 9 exhaust bolts directly on to the scooter. We also tried an Next and an RS II.  The Next wouldn't fit, but the RS II would. Turns out even though the Kymco two stroke engine is different from the SYM two stroke engine, they share the exact same bolt pattern for the exhaust.  Seems like most exhausts that fit the super 9 will fit the Jet.  After contacting Technigas to verify, I ordered a Next R(Model # 060950302 for anyone else with a Jet).  When the scoot arrived, Jet Euro was on the packaging as one of the scoots that it will fit.  Interesting, because not many scooter parts sites advertise this.

After re-jetting the carb with the stock super nine exhaust, this particular exhaust had been derestricted in the same manner as SYM told us to derestrict the Jets exhaust, the Jet had absolutely no more power.  My mechanic really thought that the stock exhaust was what was holding it back.  Turns out it wasn't.

At this point, we knew that there would take some investigations to find out why it was slow.  It was at this time I told him to tear it aprt, figure out what was going on and "tune" the timings while he was in there.

After picking up the scoot from my mechanic, WOW!

The Jet Euro went from doing thirty-five to forty, to doing 45 to 50, on the optimistic SYM Speedo that is! But, all around the scoot jumps off the line and gets to the 45 mark quickly. An amazing increase in performance.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a speed demon or anything, but alot better than it was. I took it out with my friend who has a Keeway Hurricane stock, which is a minarelli clone, and they perform almost exactly the same. The only difference is I have him off the line. Not surprising since I have the red springs installed now.

The Mods that my mechanic has done to this scoot include:

Exhaust timing changed to 181 from 70, and widened from D shape.
Transfer timing stepped up, can't remember how much.
Forced air intake was removed, and airbox inlet was left open.
Carb main jet 95.
Needle in highest position.
Malossi Multivar.
Dr. Pulley 6.5g sliders.
Yellow Torque Spring
Red Stage6 clutch springs

The area where the air flows to the transfers and boost were already opened way up and really only needs the mold lines smoothed. Although the carb isn't quite 17.5 mm on mine, and the intake manifold is strangely shaped, it cames stock with a dual reed block that receses into the crank case, and the case is smoothed out inside to direct the airflow towards the transfers. the bolt pattern on the intake is the same as the Super 9, but just a little shorter. It appears that it wouldn't be too hard to make an adapter to attach a straight intake manifold, and then an inline carb and open filter later, to be out above the back wheel. I would need to fab a longer wheel cover, but that wouldn't be much, and the space between the wheel and the bottom of the fairings is tight, but if I don't get a riser for the shock, the I could cut the bottom of the fairing area where the oil tank is so the top of the carb could fit. I'll be taking the oil tank out because I''m premixing anyway.

I think this scooter has some potential with a Bigger Cylinder kit and some more mods.

I don't like the fact that the CVT case has no ventilation. I think I might try to redirect the forced air from the scoop on the side, down into the CVT case.

Otherwise, I am now very happy with the new speed of this scoot.

With this being the only post in the Jet euro Section, I hope this helps someone that has or is interested in buying a Jet Euro.

HD200SYMBArider

• Jake on the SYMBA. (He is the one that named it)
    • View Profile
Re: Tuned Jet Euro
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
Great stroy on how to get the extra speed.

Pete

doueric

• View Profile

Mykal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
Nice post man.  I've been riding my Jet Euro 50 for 4 years now and JUST HIT 28,000 miles with NO major break downs.  The only thing that sucks is that when a part wears out, it can take up to a month sometimes to find it.  What do you do for parts when you wear them out?!

My bike still does 35-40 to this day.  I would love to have a little more get up and go, but it's been a WORK HORSE of a machine since I bought it.  The thing is SUPER RELIABLE.

VTSYM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
Dirtyd I've been working on my 06 Jet Euro X 50 and have found several instances of Kymco super9 parts listed as also fitting this particular year. Something else I found on the Kymco to increase speed is here in this link: http://www.scootertherapy.com/bosspage.html . I haven't yet pulled apart mine to see if it does in fact have the same grooved slider, but very soon I will. Did you ever replace the intake and carburetor on yours?

MotorGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
Mine too. Super reliable, but super slow (35-37, takes a long time to get there)

Pidge71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »
 ;D great story have you up graded your CDI unit as this limits the rev range there not that expensive on eBay UK just type SYM CDI upgrade (it will be the unrestricted upgrade ) and the jet50 euro jet50 basix all have the same mechanical parts so I have been told by sum UK  oh and jet50 and jet50jungle hope this helps  ;D
may all your ride's be safe and dry!