Author Topic: No power from the battery?  (Read 1866 times)

hal1

No power from the battery?
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
Yesterday I discovered that I left the key in the on position for the last month.  All power dead.  Kick starts easily.  Brought the battery to Autozone where they graciously put in on a trickle charger for 8 hours and said it still had life in it.

Hooked it up, but still NO juice at all, no lights, not signals, not even the startup fuel lights.
Other than a fuse, what could be going on?

leo.urbis

Re: No power from the battery?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
When you say other than the fuse, does this mean you checked it/replaced it?

I'm going to say that you have a dead battery, despite what the wonderful people at Autozone said.

Or else you hooked up the battery backwards.  Check your +/- connections to make sure they are correct.  If they are, replace the battery.

hal1

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
I also picked up a trickle charger. It's the kind that you keep leads permanently hooked up to the battery, then there's a separate plug to plug it into the charger.

It is okay to have the charger on, then see if I get power to the startup lights (fuel LED's) ?

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
You basically have a dead battery. There are many many posts like this at this time of year. A small motorcycle battery will not survive going flat dead. Once it is dead, it is gone.

Buy a new battery and use your float charger.

Sorry, but this is a really simple one. Happens all the time.