Poll

What grade Gasoline / Petrol do you use in your scooter?

Premium - 92 octane
30 (66.7%)
Medium - 89 octane
3 (6.7%)
Regular - 87 octane
9 (20%)
Other Octane - post reply
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: What grade Gasoline / Petrol do you use in your scooter?  (Read 15777 times)

mykal924

• View Profile
What grade Gasoline / Petrol do you use in your scooter?
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:49:04 PM »
Hello Everyone!  ;D

I'm curious as to what grade gasoline / petrol other SYM riders use in their scooters and how it runs in their engine.  Do you think the extra money is worth it in the end for premium grade fuel?

I use "PREMIUM" 92 OCTANE grade fuel in my SYM JET EURO50.   My bike runs the best on this fuel grade.

I ALSO HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Using fuel injector cleaner / carburator cleaning fuel additives.   These come in a small 16oz size (i think around this amount) container.  You can buy them at your local auto parts store from $1.99 - $5.99.  I know for a 100% fact that these fuel additives are HIGHLY effective at getting rid of engine pings and small vibration sounds that you know shouldn't be there.  After I ride my 50cc JetEuro for about 1000 miles (or around 1 month - I ride year round, everyday, full time), my scooter can start to feel a little sluggish, and have not "horrible" sounds, but you can hear a little "congestion" in the engine.  My scooter can easily loose 2-3MPH off the top speed, or even start to have "sluggish" acceleration after a while of riding.  But as soon as  I run a bottle of the fuel injector / carb cleaner fuel additive through 1.6 gallons of gas (full tank for me), my scooter feels like it runs BRAND NEW again. 

Now, these fuel additives have always  really made me question their ability to really do anything for an engine besides cost me money.  I put them into cars that I used to drive, only once or twice, but never noticed a difference.  Since I'm on a scooter now that I run at FULL throttle all the time (37-40mph is my top speed, and most roads are 40-45 mph that I ride), I can tell when I'm not running at full speed.  When my scoot starts running at like 34-36 mph top speed, I just drop in an entire bottle of one of those fuel additives and once I get to the VERY end of the tank, sure enough I get my power back and my engine sounds great.  When I was doing this for the first time at around 7000 miles, I ran 2 or 3 tanks with the additive to really clean my engine and carb out.  I either use the STP brand which is 2.99-3.99, or just recently I started using a generic version "autolite" i think, thats only 1.99 and it seems to work just the same. 

On these additives labels it says that this lititle bottle is good for up to like 18-22 gallons of gas!  So you know when you drop it in your 1.5-2.0 gallon tank, it is REALLY concentrated and does it's job.  My bike is at 16,000 MILES after 18 months of ownership  and it is running better today than the day that I bought it brand new.

Take the info for what it's worth to you.  I'm not 100% sure it will work exactly the same on a different model SYM, but I'm ptrertty sure it will work just it does on my 2 stroke on any other 2 stroke out there.

Thanks for your participation in the poll!  ;)

Stay safe out there and stay out from under cars!

-MYKAL

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: What grade Gasoline / Petrol do you use in your scooter?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
Use Seafoam 1 oz per gallon.
Cleans and displaces water.

It is the standard all others are judged by.

homebrew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
Ethanol free premium is all I run.

jim63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
I run premium fuel, try to stay away fron the ones with ethenol when able. I did experiment with regular gas for 2 months, didnt notice any perfomance decrease, but my MPG was alittle lower. Figure premium gas maybe 10-20 cents more per gallon over regular, and you are only buying 2-3 gallons at a time, the extra 50 cents or so is really insignificant. Might as well go premium.

Kiwiscott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
Like Jim I use premium 91/92 Octane. With such a small tank its pennies difference so I figure I might as well. For the times I couldnt get premium, I also noticed no difference in ride quality or performance, but, like Jim, my MPG was lower than average. Maybe I should try an even higher Octane, like 98, and see if the MPG gets better?
09 Piaggio Fly 150
06 SYM GTS250 Voyager

Kiwiscoot

• Scootaholic - Down Under New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »
I use 91/92 octane mostly. I have used 95 octane and twice used 98 octane. Excellent performance&economy with the 98, but to dear. 95 octane gives me better economy than 91 and the engine seems to run smoother.
Citycom 300i - 46 000+ kms what a blast.
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

mealexme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
erm...I live in th UK and we have a choice of diesil unleaded or "super unleaded" personally i dont see anything super about it, so i just use unleaded... now whats all this octane talk aout? im confused!

Barnone

Kiwiscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
erm...I live in th UK and we have a choice of diesil unleaded or "super unleaded" personally i dont see anything super about it, so i just use unleaded... now whats all this octane talk aout? im confused!

This may be of help
http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html
Citycom review: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=200cc&action=display&thread=16772

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Hello, guys,
I put 94 "premium" - but often times, I can only get 94 blended (10%) with ethanol.
If this is "bad" why?
Otherwise, since I ride in Alberta, Canada (Calgary), I can only get 91 without ethanol.
It's a brand new SYM HD200 with around 1100K on it. Got it in Oct. '09 and until serious frost came I drove her every day.

The Fire Drake

• -------The Fire Drake------- SYM HD200
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of The Fire Drake
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
Here in Illinois, we have no choice but to use 10% or more ethanol gas. I always use premium since our grades are 87, 89 and 93. The HD needs 90 and I have done some mods too :)

Here's the kicker though--- Unless you go to a station with individual grade lines at the pump, then you're going to get diluted octane gas as the gas line usually has just regular in it. We're not really talking much as it's a quart or so but it is only 2 gallons.

BTW US octane ratings are different than overseas ratings

Jeff
www.jeffs-hotsauces.com/firedrakehome.htm

SYM HD200 30mm OKO CVK carb, MRP no-rev limit CDI, Bando hi-perf coil, Emgo 48mm free-flow filter, MRP GY6 Type 2 stainless steel exhaust & muffler, Full LED conversion & markers, ENM tach and 100 watt amp/speakers.
Xingyue XY150T 8 (Tank Racer DS-08)

Syd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:21 PM »
...BTW US octane ratings are different than overseas ratings...
And I think KiwiScoot's post explains it.  He says:
I use 91/92 octane mostly. I have used 95 octane and twice used 98 octane
I've never seen 95+ octane anywhere other than at an airport in the US, so it seems reasonable that NZ sells the same type gas as the US, it just has higher octane numbers than we assign here in the US.  I'd guess New Zealand's 91/92 would be comparable to our 87 (and the 90+ octane that SYM recommends).  Their 95 is comparable to our 89, and their 98 is like our 92/93.  At least that makes sense to me.  So if you run regular (US) gas in your scoot, you're actually using the recommended octane level.

That's why I use mid-grade (89) gas in my SYMs.  Just in case I'm wrong  ;D

Kiwiscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:33:06 AM »
Syd your right on to it. Ours are RON octane ratins here in New Zealand. FYI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I would go with a higher octane (premium) if I had to use fuel with ethanol in it, as it lowers the octane rating and burns colder than straight non-blend fuel. If you have plug fouling problems then one grade hotter spark-plug will solve that.
Enjoy your rides

fiddlerontheroad

• I can do all things through Christ...
    • View Profile
    • True North Church
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
I have debated about premium gas before. The good thing about it is the higher octane and slower burn. The bad thing is the turnover is not as great as regular unleaded therefore making premium more susceptible to undesirable content. Flip a coin I guess.
So far, I have been running 87 octane in my Fiddle 125. Averaging 80 mpg. I will try higher octane to see if it results in better mpg.

SYMmike

• View Profile
    • Me
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
I always use the highest grade of gas (92-93 octane)!

I also use SeaFoam every 3rd to 4th fill up, 1 or 2 cap fulls.

Over 16,000 miles and still runs like new!! Well, actually I have an RV250 so I have 500 miles on the ODO right now until it resets itself at around 6500 miles again.  :D
2008 dark grey RV250, 27,000 miles