Author Topic: Starting  (Read 1044 times)

Klute

• View Profile
Starting
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
Hi,

Brand new here. Had a Mio since early July and over the past few weeks have noticed that it doesn't want to start for the first start of the day. If I go a few days w/o starting it, it is even harder. A few things I have tried that have worked sometimes:
* coming back later;
* popping the gas cap;
* trying to kick-start it and using the electronic start again

I was gone most of last week and it didn't get started. I come home, its colder now and it won't start at all. It will crank, but not turn-over. Battery is getting drained.

I have never been able to successfully kick-start it but have tried.

I have read a few threads on this issue and it appears it isn't that uncommon, that it could be a coil or the carb or some vaccuum seals. But, was wondering if anyone else had any other advice.

Thx

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
The pilot fuel passageway may be obstructed.  Try adding around 2 ounces of Techron the gas tank.
CV Carburetor

Might also check valve clearances.  Speculating this video shows the warm engine technique where the adjusters are screwed in for zero clearance . . as compared to a cold engine feeler gauge clearance.
Kleppen stellen sym mio

Klute

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Thanks.

This time I tried a new technique: I turned the key and kill switch to "on" and tried multiple kick-starts. Still not an ounce of life from the kick-start, but after that it did start. I drove it around a while to warm it up and it worked the rest of the day.

axa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
this carb video is a bit misleading in that it indicates that the slide is activated via a passage way in the carb body.  Actually it is activated via a hole at the bottom of and continues to the top side of the slide itself.
Also it doesn't show the slide diaphragm vent passage to the 'main intake'.

just sayin...