Author Topic: 2006 fiddle 50 stalling issue  (Read 1615 times)

symohio50

• View Profile
2006 fiddle 50 stalling issue
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
I am new to the forum, but not to scootering. I've had several scooters over the years, and live in SW Ohio. Currently I have a Honda Silverwing scooter that I love, and ride whenever I can.

My friend asked me to look at his 2006 Fiddle 50cc (not running). As I like a challenge, I said "sure".

The scooter sat for a few years so I did all the normal things: drained the gas, charged the battery, checked for spark, changed the spark plug, verified that the fuel pump is pumping, etc.

The scooter has 5000KM, and the air filter is clean. it is a 2 cycle with oil injection.

The scooter will start after a few kicks, and run for 2-5 seconds normally, then quit.

I went through the carb and looked for varnish/deposits, The float/float valve works, all was good.

I checked the plug and it is wet, so I'm guessing it is getting too much gas. The exhaust is smokey.

All the carb settings are original.

My next task is too pull the intake manifold and inspect/clean the reeds.

I've never done that before. Is there something that I should be careful of/aware of while I do the work?

Thanks for any help that you can provide?

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
Re: 2006 fiddle 50 stalling issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:36:35 AM »
Did you clean the jets in the carb? - manually with fine wire
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:01:31 AM »
scooter sat for a few years
Check for exhaust obstructions, such as nesting insects.

symohio50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
I visually inspected the jets, and blew them dry, but did not clean them with a wire. That will be my next step. I also did not look at the exhaust. I will remove it and make sure that it is not obstructed in any way. Thanks for the suggestions. I am motivated to get it working without taking it to a shop. In the event that someone messed with it before me, Can you tell me the high speed, and low speed carb settings?
I assumed that the settings were still original, but you never know.

Capt Kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »
I personally don't have the knowledge, but maybe the SYM Service Manual might have that info....Good luck!

symohio50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
Well, I removed the necessary body panels, etc. in order to remove the intake manifold. It was not hard, but it does take time, and the correct tools. One thing I thought was strange is the bolt in the outside front position of the manifold mount. It is a rounded bolt with no obvious way to loosen it except by gripping it with pliers. The strange part is that it is easy to get to, so why not a regular hex head, or even an allen head? What I did not realize was that I was tearing the gaskets as I removed the manifold, so now I am waiting for an engine gasket set to arrive in the mail. The reed assembly was very clean, so other than the gaskets, I still need to diagnose the stalling issue. I did take the carb apart and give it a liberal dousing of gunk carb cleaner, and i still need to run some wire through the jets, just to be sure.
Wish me luck.

symohio50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »
Follow up to my stalling issue. It idles very well now, but it will only accelerate when the small mixture screw is almost all the way in. By all the way in, I mean that it is maybe 1/32 of a turn out. If I turn it out any more, the scooter will stall when I open the throttle.

With the mixture screw at 1/32 out, the scooter will run fairly well, and it gets me (220lbs.) up to about 25 mph. I'm pretty sure that it should go faster.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy either an OEM carb, or an after market equivalent? I've found many on-line, but I'm not convinced that they are the correct ones.

Thanks for your help.

ootscoot

• Another Dealer hard at work...
    • View Profile
    • ootyscooters.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »
check partsforscooters.com
Ooty's Scooters - Santa Barbara, CA.
SYM Dealer, SYM rider, SYM owner - got them all!